PDA

View Full Version : Ice Age Bison

EX1
January 19, 2006, 19:20
Hello here is a pic of my Bison Antiquus skull. Found this and other items near Tulsa Okla. If the other horn was complete it would be 3 feet wide.

EX1
January 19, 2006, 19:23
Here are some Mastadon teeth found in the same area near Tulsa.

Windustsearch
January 19, 2006, 20:15
Thats COOL. Especially the bison. One of those teeth looks like it is from a larger mastodon.

What else you got?

lew
January 19, 2006, 20:36
Way cool. Got anything else?

EX1
January 19, 2006, 20:40
Hello we have found tusk fragments ,large leg bones from either mastadon or mammoth, mammoth teeth, musk ox skulls , camel bones, many points of all ages. I did find 3 Clovis spear points in the same area.

Windustsearch
January 19, 2006, 20:49
COOL!!! Can you post more pics?

EX1
January 19, 2006, 20:50
Here is a vertabrae from either a mammoth or mastadon.

EX1
January 19, 2006, 20:52
Here is a pic of the best Musk Ox skull

masman
January 19, 2006, 20:57
very cool:cool:

Windustsearch
January 20, 2006, 05:47
Right on. Do you find alot of scraper tools in that deposit? Looks like the critters were getting skull capped for the brains.

BTW, human use of Mastodon for meat or anything else has never really been documented well. You definately have something unique there.

owlcreekok
January 20, 2006, 07:11
Neat finds. Our ranch is SW of Tulsa, about 3 hrs drive. When I was a kid we used to find small "vertebral fossils" along a creek that my screen moniker is taken from. Sadly, the richest area for finding these is off our property. One CAN get in the bed of the creek and walk it without actually tresspassing. While the State was building a flood control lake North of the place, we found a LOT of small fossils. NEVER anything as cool as these.

gunseller
January 20, 2006, 12:30
Good stuff. About 20 years ago a friend of mine's grandkids found a mommoth skull. It was a very good find in SW Iowa. You have a nice large horned bison skull. It would be really neat if they could talk.
Gunseller

Da Nerd
January 21, 2006, 00:12
Find any of these abouts?

Da Nerd
January 21, 2006, 00:15
Originally posted by Windustsearch

BTW, human use of Mastodon for meat or anything else has never really been documented well. You definately have something unique there.

But havent they proven that humans DID kill them sometimes?

FTW2012
January 21, 2006, 01:08
how deep did you have to dig to find that stuff?

EX1
January 21, 2006, 01:49
Hello all of the items were found on the Arkansas river.They all came from the same area but nothing was found at a actual site. There is a creek that enters the river very near to the area where we find these items. Up along the creek there have been some later point found but nothing paleo. Thanks EX1

Windustsearch
January 21, 2006, 12:17
But havent they proven that humans DID kill them sometimes?

There might be a few reports of mastodon kill sites out there but I haven't seen or heard of any. There is the Manis site here in WA, but it was never really proven to be a human kill. Mammoth was the prey of choice (68%) for clovis people followed by bison (20 some odd %) and tortoise. They passed up most other stuff.

Mastodon lasted later than mammoth, as late as 7000 years ago. Mammoth were all gone by 11,000 give or take. Without artifacts in that deposit it would have to be radiocarbon dated, but if you have musk ox, then there is likely some component in there from maximum glaciation=20,000 or 40,000 years ago. The site could represent many thousands of years of herbivours kicking the bucket at a water hole, or being deposited by water.

EX1
January 21, 2006, 16:20
Hello with the Musk OX is was thinking around 30,000. All of the other items around 10,000 is what I thought. We find alot of later Bison skulls. You may have seen the show about the small Bison crown that was found out here with a large Calf Creek point embedded in the base of the horn. I know the guy that found that crown. Univ of Okla Natural History Museum has it now on display. What a fantastic find with a point still embedded. Thanks EX1

cessna-pilot
January 25, 2006, 09:43
Cool stuff....

I grew up in TN and we would regularly go point hunting in freshly turned fields and epecially in islands that appeared when the river/lake was down.
My father found some massive ax heads from pre-columbian indians while diving in the river one time. They are about 8 inches long and very thick, heavy.

I just heard of the news of a very well preserved Mastodon in a bog near southern Ill.

Story
January 15, 2009, 08:43
Meanwhile, back on the Range...

ANTELOPE ISLAND, Utah (AP) -- For the first time in nearly 70 years, Utah has a new free-roaming bison herd.
State officials this week are taking the final steps toward restoring bison to the Book Cliffs, a remote and rugged area in eastern Utah where bison images appear on ancient rock art and skulls have been found in the fossil records.
"We're bringing them back to their native range," said Dax Magnus, a wildlife biologist for the state Division of Wildlife Resources.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/UTAH_BISON?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
Hogtied, blindfolded and in a sling : must be a San Francisco Bison. :D
http://hosted.ap.org/photos/C/c96aa7d4-3670-4df2-a761-c4a21cc4119f-small.jpg

bykerhd
January 15, 2009, 10:40
Back in the early '60s there was an attempt to bring musk ox to New England.
Not to set free, but to raise for food, fur, etc.
My sixth grade class made a field trip to the experimental farm to see them.
The daughter of the university professor responsible for the project, John Teal, was a classmate.
Our climate proved too warm for the musk ox. Summers anyway. The project had to be shut down.
Too bad. Very interesting animals and a living relic of the Ice Ages.

AndyC
January 15, 2009, 11:40
Very cool finds - I look at those and I'm thinking those would make pretty unique scales for a knife-handle

lew
January 15, 2009, 13:21
Originally posted by AndyC
Very cool finds - I look at those and I'm thinking those would make pretty unique scales for a knife-handle

Screw that. I'm thinkin' bison burgers.:D

Bigger_Is_Better
January 15, 2009, 19:09
EX1,
I'm moving to Springfield, MO in the next couple of months. I've done a lot of field walking hunting points. I noticed there didn't seem to be many plowed fields in this part of the country. As Tulsa isn't too far away I thought you may know, do people creek hunt around here? You can't back home because everything is flint.

Aaron

Windustsearch
January 15, 2009, 19:52
Cool thread again.

You guys should post pics of some of your points.

FAL freek
January 15, 2009, 23:07
Originally posted by EX1
Hello with the Musk OX is was thinking around 30,000. All of the other items around 10,000 is what I thought. We find alot of later Bison skulls. You may have seen the show about the small Bison crown that was found out here with a large Calf Creek point embedded in the base of the horn. I know the guy that found that crown. Univ of Okla Natural History Museum has it now on display. What a fantastic find with a point still embedded. Thanks EX1 History Detectives?

Nice find BTW.

Dirt1042
January 16, 2009, 15:29
Check this triceratops skull out.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/01/16/news/state/25-thembones.txt

Story
February 10, 2012, 09:27
:biggrin:
According to a story in The Sun newspaper, a new video has surfaced that seems to show a live woolly mammoth an animal the scientists say has been extinct for about four millennia.
The "jaw-dropping" footage, which shows a dark, blurry creature crossing a river, was allegedly "caught by a government-employed engineer last summer in the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug region of Siberia."

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46329601/ns/today-today_tech/t/woolly-mammoth-caught-video-it-looks-fishy/#.TzUonFxrOSo

hagar
February 10, 2012, 18:42
Pretty awesome, I love stuff like this.

jugrunner
February 10, 2012, 20:21
man ... that ain't no damn Elephant ... !!! ... what's amazing is that David is into this stuff ... !!! ... me needs those clovis things he's got ...

we have some "paleo" sites here in N. Alabama ... Tenn. river is well known for Early sites ...

got no Elephant teeth tho ... :eek: ... Very cool my friend ... !!!

EX1
February 11, 2012, 00:32
Hello in this same area of river I found 2 Clovis points in one day then about a month later found a 3rd. Two of the Clovis points were made from Boone County and one from Edwards from near Austin Tx.Also in the same area we have found Agate Basin,Scottsbluff, and numerous Daltons.Thanks EX1

JohnnyMac
February 11, 2012, 14:58
:biggrin:
According to a story in The Sun newspaper, a new video has surfaced that seems to show a live woolly mammoth an animal the scientists say has been extinct for about four millennia.
The "jaw-dropping" footage, which shows a dark, blurry creature crossing a river, was allegedly "caught by a government-employed engineer last summer in the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug region of Siberia."

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46329601/ns/today-today_tech/t/woolly-mammoth-caught-video-it-looks-fishy/#.TzUonFxrOSo

IIRC, scientists were actively working to extra DNA from frozen mammoth remains found in the Russian Arctic. The intent was to substitute mammoth DNA into a fertilized elephant egg, and use a female elephant as a surrogate mother.

Could make for some interesting future big-game hunting opportunities.

JMc

RG Coburn
February 11, 2012, 18:19
EX1..are you finding these along eroded embankments or in the river itself? I have looked and looked,but never found any points. I know people have found them around my area,just my luck isn't great I guess.

FUUN063
February 13, 2012, 09:31
Cool finds!

Leland:shades:

EX1
February 13, 2012, 16:13
Hello all of these come from the river bed itself. We walk the rock beds.EX1

jugrunner
February 18, 2012, 06:15
Hello all of these come from the river bed itself. We walk the rock beds.EX1

they try to put us in jail for "walking" the River banks here on the Tenn. ... :mad: ... BS if you ask me !!

Sperzuki
February 18, 2012, 08:09
Especially the Mastadon teeth. I'd love to make pocket knife scales of some of that. It's seriously costly to buy though. I make most of mine from hardwood.Very cool finds - I look at those and I'm thinking those would make pretty unique scales for a knife-handle

one hand clapping
February 19, 2012, 17:36
Nice finds,I love spending time in the creek ,waiting for fossil to "make itself known". .
I have found lots of arrow and spear points here, while farming, but this was hunting grounds up here for the eastern tribes. Quite the conversation peice.

February 22, 2012, 19:43
there used to be a store in santa fe that sells that stuff - for some hefty coin i might add