PDA

View Full Version : Deer Season

Survey Punk
January 15, 2006, 10:49
Deer season is over here in Eastern NC and I was cooking some numbers for the club to see what sort of damage we did to the population this past year. Our season runs from the second Saturday in October to the first or second of January. Seems like a mighty long hunting season compared to other locales I've heard of.
What kind of season do you have in your area and how many deer can you harvest?

Just Curious,
JB

Da Nerd
January 15, 2006, 11:07
When I was in NC in the late 50's I think the season was 3 months.
Hunting I believe was legal using dogs. It was hard hunting those pine woods. Lots of deer were seen, hard to get a shot.

Survey Punk
January 15, 2006, 19:10
Same now Nerd. The club is leased from Weyerhauser and is all in various stages of pines. Some places you literally can't see 5 yards. Kick the dogs out, they run the deer into the road and BLAMMO! Sounds like the first 15 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" Kind of dangerous at times. Some people just don't know how far a high power rifle bullet will go.

JB

dillhole
January 15, 2006, 20:52
i live in ohio and our shotgun season is one week our. bow season i believe is three or four months and we have a four day primitive season. ohio is zoned off in three zones , zone 1 is allowed one deer , zone two gets two deer and zone three gets three. i amnot sure , but i think that there are special permits a hunter can apply for such as urban bow permits that allow a hunter more deer . unfortunatley iam dont know much about bow season because i dont own a bow.

Falcon
January 15, 2006, 22:43
In Illinois,deer season for firearms (Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Handgun) runs November 18, 19, & 20 (first season)
December 1, 2, 3, & 4 (second season)

For archery, the season is October 1 - January 12 in Cook, DuPage, Lake and portions of Kane County east of State Rt 47 .
October 1 - January 12 in all other counties except that archery hunting is closed November 18, 19, & 20 and December 1, 2, 3, & 4 for the two firearm deer seasons.

Because there are no firearms allowed in the county I live in, the bucks are plentiful and BIG!

I shotgun hunt Alexander County in Southern IL and have taken some decent ones there as well.

You're allowed only 2 bucks per season but can take unlimited does if you buy the permits

Anyone from Iowa?...I'd like to know the limits.

Here's a pic out of Lansing, Allamakee County,Iowa.

:eek:

Hebrew Battle Rifle
January 15, 2006, 22:46
This year the modern gun season lasted 5 weeks with a 3 day hunt right after Christmas. The zone that I hunted this year had a 3 deer limit. Two of one sex, one of the other. Bucks had to have 3 points on one side to be legal for adult hunters. Any buck was legal for hunters under 16 that were accompanied by an adult hunter.

I took two does this year.

newfalguy101
January 15, 2006, 23:00
In Nebraska the bow season runs from Sept (?) to Dec. 31 except during the Firearms season which is 9 days during the second and third weeks in Nov. The muzzleloader season runs pretty much the month of Dec, and the late season runs a couple weeks in Jan.

The bag limits is ONE deer per tag with a two tag limit, some areas offer "bonus" tags legal for one anterless ONLY deer.

Total kill is somewhere in the 50,000 + range, ( last available numbers are 2003 )

I filled my only tag with a doe

Nebraska Moore
January 15, 2006, 23:43
In the part of SC my wife and I hunt in bow season starts August 15. Those of us who hunt with guns have to wait until September 1st. The season lasts until Jan. 1st. We can purchase up to four doe tags and we also have several doe days. The limit, if I recall properly, is four or five a day.

Chip
January 16, 2006, 00:17
Falcon, which county do you live in that doesn't allow any firearms? I live in east central, (Coles) and we can own any type of firearms except machine guns.

Windustsearch
January 16, 2006, 04:02
WA depends on where you hunt. Some areas are 2 tag areas, most are 1. Modern firearms season is about 3 months. Lots of big whitetails, mule deer and rodent sized blacktail (same as mule deer but different environment). Thats if you like venison (friggin yuck) Lots of elk here too (Mmmmm).

azdave12
January 16, 2006, 10:51
In AZ., ALL tags are on the lottery system. You must buy a general hunting license, then you apply for a deer tag by hunt unit (and species)---This is for firearms, archery is over the counter. Only one deer a year, whether archery or firearm.

Thats the sad part, the good part is there are 2 types of deer here to hunt--Coues Whitetail and Mule deer. You must pick one or the other, can't hunt both--so if you are lucky enough to get drawn, your tag would say something like "unit 31- Whitetail".
Mule deer are pretty well dispersed thruoughout the state, and are in a variety of elevations and terrain, but are generally in the desert and lower foothill of the areas I frequent. (southeast Az.)
Whitetails stay in the higher elevations, or sky island mountain ranges of SE Az. for the most part. Rugged Oak and pine covered mountainsides are their favorite places. There is some overlapping of terrain, though.
Most hunters go after the Mullie tags, because they're easier to hunt, IMHO, hence the chances of getting drawn or alot slimmer.
I only hunt Coues, and the wife and I get drawn every year. The mountain range we hunt is very rugged with few roads in our area, therefore few hunters.
Knock on wood, i've gotten 6 deer in 6 years, 5 of them low B&C, out of the same square mile. Finding them is hard work, but once you get one a mile plus from the road, and theres several deep canyons in between--the work really begins:biggrin: They sure do taste better after working hard for them.\

For several years now, all we eat is venison, with occassional chicken or fish thrown in for variety. In Nov. 04', I drove from Az to Michigan, got 3 deer in 3 days, butchered them up, and drove home. We only have about 30# of Mi. deer left, and about 50# of 05' Az deer left. Looks like beef may be in the diet come summer:uhoh:

Windustsearch
January 16, 2006, 11:23
Those ranges down there are incredible country.

Falcon
January 16, 2006, 12:22
Chip,
I should have stated that because no firearms are allowed "to hunt deer with", in the county I live in.

We can pretty much own anything same as you unless one lives in Cook County. They have many restrictions,including assault rifles. Glad I don't live there.

jaykden
January 17, 2006, 00:51
deer season here is still in full swing. it starts on the 1st day of august and ends january 31st. we are allowed 4 state and 2 federal subsistence with a total of 6 per season. this year i proxy hunted for my grandpa and so far have 11. i have one more tag to go but probably won't go out as we already have quite abit of meat. our deer as alot smaller than down south deer, we have sitka blacktails. i just finished up rebarreling my dads old weatherby that he sold me, if we get a big snowfall, i may try heading out in the boat and finding one standing around on the beach and use that rifle to pop one. we'll see though.

azdave12
January 17, 2006, 10:42
Forgot to add in my post above, that Az. has 3 seperate hunts--1 in Oct., that lasts 4 days; 1 in Nov. that lasts 9 days; and 1 in Dec. that lasts 2 weeks. Each hunt has fewer tags issued. One area for the Oct. hunt may have, say, 1000 tags, then 500 for Nov., then maybe 50 for Dec. (which is the most sought after because of the rut).
Its been like this for a long time, but I heard there is big changes coming for next season.