PDA

View Full Version : How to make a wood pistol grip?

skyclones
September 26, 2001, 17:12
Any metric drawings around, or do you just wing it? Would like one for my R1. :D

Stranger
September 26, 2001, 17:34
Take a large dowel rod, or a broom stick, and cut about five inches off of it. This is your new pistol grip. Take some glue and place a large amount of it on one end of the handle. Stick the end of the handle with the glue on it to the bottom of the receiver, to the rear of the trigger apparatus. Allow this to dry overnight. If you used Elmer's glue, don't get it wet, as the bond will weaken, and the handle will fall off.

gw11
September 26, 2001, 17:46
Stranger!! YOU ARE SERIOUS AREN"T YOU!
THAT'S TOOOOOOOO HEAVY FOR ME!
I'll Leave Now!
gw11

Stranger
September 26, 2001, 18:25
Just so I am not liable for anyone doing this to their rifle, I will let everyone know that the previous post was a joke. I would not advise anyone to use a broom stick for a pistol grip. A baseball bat handle would be much better... :D

skyclones
September 26, 2001, 22:44
Stranger
Thanks for nothing, it was a real question. :(

Dan at VOW
September 26, 2001, 22:59
You can make them, they are a real PITA though. I made a few by hand, sectioned an original plastic one, that way I could outline the shape I wanted on a block of walnut. Practice first on some wood that's a little less expensive, so that you can get your shaping down. Router cut in the top and front are some of the hardest to make without chipping. make sure you get your angle correct when drilling your hole for the stud, selector cutout can be fun as well. HTH, Dan.

artifacts
September 27, 2001, 07:23
Would there be an interest in plans for this project? artifacts

FALPhil
September 27, 2001, 09:30
What Dan says is true. My advice is drill the hole for the stud first, then work around the hole as a reference. YMMV

Originally posted by Dan at VOW:
<STRONG>You can make them, they are a real PITA though.</STRONG>

sixplusone
September 27, 2001, 11:06
Select a piece of wood that will allow for the hole to be drilled for the trigger plunger(thin wood left) and not chip towards the lower.

Used 4 in 1 file; 1/2 round about 10 "; round file 1/4"; DRILL PRESS; chisels 1/4" and 1/8".

Epoxy fitted the lower contact area( gives strength also)
Flattened the grip panel and buried it under a plug at front of grip hiding the nut for the grip stud. Used files to fit my fingers and thumb rest contours.

"wing it"

artifacts
September 27, 2001, 13:21
sky,
Do you have access to a router and a drill press?? artifacts

Stranger
September 27, 2001, 13:53
skyclones,

My message was rather cryptic. Sorry about that. I have never seen any prints/plans/diagrams for the grip. You will have to reverse engineer it from an existing plastic or wood grip. I should have simply said, "Wing it."

artifacts
September 28, 2001, 13:44
sky,
check the fax. artifacts

ulfrikr
September 29, 2001, 06:19
Fax? How about sharing the wealth?

If you want, you can fax it to me too, and I'll scan it and post it here.

~Rick

ulfrikr
September 29, 2001, 06:25
Fax? How about sharing the wealth?

If you want, you can fax it to me too, and I'll scan it and post it here.

~Rick