PDA

View Full Version : To carbine or not to carbine?

ronster
September 26, 2001, 16:59
HOwdy all,

Just got back from the range. All I took was my .22 pistol and my new/Old mosin nagant m.44 karbin.

I was firing the Czech 7.62x54R that aim surplus has through the m44 karbin and holy mackerel does that thing produce voluminous noise and recoil.

I understand that 7.62x54R is also the russians gpmg round. And a guy at the range said the russians used heavier projectiles and powder loads in the gpmg ammo, although overpressure would not be a problem for the carbine.

But would I have the same shoulder beating if my next FAL build was a carbine?

Is the FAL carbine build just a bad idea or would the gas system make it better than my experience with the m.44?

I was thinking 16.5" barrel carbine for a truck/trunk gun.

I mean I did my best, back to basics shooting I could and I was far better with my R1 than with the m.44.

Shouldn't the bolt action have been more accurate?

Please help me.

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: ronster ]

CITADELGRAD87
September 26, 2001, 17:02
I built my Imbel kit gun on an Ent Type 3, measures JUST 16" with the Ent zero climb brake.

It is not at all unpleasant to shoot, but those next to me may disagree.

idsubgun
September 26, 2001, 17:26
Listen, the shorter barrels can produce less recoil. I have a DSA Compact Elite frontend on one of mine. This is a 13" bbl with a fake Browning flashhider, to make it legal. The thing has very little recoil. It was explained to me as, the bullet has left the barrel before the gun has a chance to create heavy recoil. Everyone who has shot it, just loves it. There is NO muzzlebreak on it!
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/idsubgun/dr_evil2.jpg

KansasPatriot
September 26, 2001, 23:26
I have 3 16 in carbines and love them all. Bought Belgian flashhiders from DS Arms and they reduce muzzle flash very well. It is impressive compared to anything I shoot without a flashider AR AK etc. I highly recommend them although I have my share of 20 in barrels too.

kfranz
September 27, 2001, 11:10
I don't notice a difference in recoil between 16 and 21"