PDA

View Full Version : Gun Kote and hi temps?

BMB
September 25, 2001, 22:00
KG says that their Gun Kote with withstand temps in excess of 500 degrees. My question is will any part of an FAL reach this temp or a hi enough temp to damage the Gun Kote. I want to apply some over a parked finish on a gas block and possibly the barrel, but if it won't handle the temp I'll leave it off. Any experience with this. Thanks.

BMB

FWRA
September 25, 2001, 23:25
Originally posted by BMB:
<STRONG>KG says that their Gun Kote with withstand temps in excess of 500 degrees. My question is will any part of an FAL reach this temp or a hi enough temp to damage the Gun Kote. I want to apply some over a parked finish on a gas block and possibly the barrel, but if it won't handle the temp I'll leave it off. Any experience with this. Thanks.

BMB</STRONG>

Unless you abuse your FAL like this, all the coatings should hold up to normal use. I used hi-temp header paint on the Ultra Lite Torture Test rifle and it still looks good. ;-)

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1022307&a=13682520&p=53429682&Sequence=0

And here is an "after" photo after Ballistol wipe down:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1022307&a=13682520&p=53429696&Sequence=0

Any hi-temp finish will do the trick. I applied the hi-temp header paint over Park.
$8 a can at Auto Zone....SHH! Don't tell anyone! This stuff withstands 1100+ degrees.....

Best Regards,
Mark Powell

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: FWRA ]

OmegaMBR
December 27, 2001, 14:02
Mark
thanks for the tip. I had noticed that header paint smells suspiscously like gun-kote in your oven. is the autozone stuff tough enough for firearms use though?

Slater
December 27, 2001, 14:24
The black barbeque-grill paint works great too. Painted some Enfield parts and baked for about 3 hours. Looked great and seems to be quite durable.

Sumoj275
December 27, 2001, 14:55
I like the header paint from O'Reiley's. It is 1100 temp, ceramic, epoxy, and something else. It is like 5.00 a can. It matches up really got to the moly coats.

It has been real durable for me!