PDA

View Full Version : Help!...brand new DSA STG has problems

qwezxc12
September 25, 2001, 13:46
Help!

I wanted to ask here and get some ideas before discussing with DSA. I have no doubts about them standing behind their product; I just wanted to hear the WECSOGers opinions.

Anyway, I just got my second DSA STG58, ordered direct. It has a cut and crowned 18” barrel, full length pinned gas tube, heavy barrel handguard retaining ring, and Izzy LB buttstock, plate, ferrule, and sling swivel. I slapped a set of Izzy HB handguards on it and went to the range.

Problem 1: Even with the front site post turned all the way down, it still shot 3” low @ 50 yds. The front site is a 2-dot variety, the same as my other STG. The rear site is a standard short Belgium type.

Problem 2: The frame locking lever doesn’t lock flush against the tang on the lower – it has a 1/8” gap at the top when the upper in locked in place. The upper is firmly in place and doesn’t wobble, but the lever won’t close fully - it does, however, sit flush (fully locked) when the upper is open.

Problem 3: After running 3-4 mags through it and cleaning, it still didn’t eject reliably. My other DSA STG shoots on a gas setting of 5 and tosses brass “energetically” to the right and slightly forward. If I put a kiddy pool 15 ft. away, it would throw every single case into it. The new STG would eject forward, dribble one, eject one back, FTE, eject fine, etc. 1 – 2 FTE per 20 rnd. mag. I had to run it on a setting of 2.5 to function. For my trouble, I got a nasty burn on my inside bicep when a spent case dribbled out on the bench and rolled up my T-shirt sleeve… :mad: #$%#@!!

BTW, I was shooting Port and SA – never any problem with my other STG. The same lot shoots 100% out of it.

Problem 4: After all the problems initially, I swapped gas pistons. The one in the gun is an original one, all beat to s**t… :confused: WTF? I though DSA used the gas piston as a compliance part. Luckily, I had a new DSA piston I had bought earlier for another project so I swapped that in, hoping it was the culprit. Cycling improved, but not enough.

So…what’s going on?

Is the upper not correctly aligned with the lower? If it’s off just enough to prevent the locking lever to lock fully, I could understand why it would shoot low. Could that be the source of my FTEs?

I know they could grind the locking tab on the upper but that won’t solve an alignment problem.

I need to talk to DSA about the 6 compliance parts I thought I had (Upper, H/T/S, PG,?), but I want to address the other problems armed with information.

What’s going on? Any ideas? The gun looks great but compared to my other STG it’s only good for a club.

Thanks!

Alex

Lake
September 25, 2001, 14:17
With the sighting problem, you might need to get a 0 dot to raise your POI (and or file, but if the sight picture is bad get a diff. rear). I just battle this out with a STG 16.5, and I had to use an Israeli rear (and a one dot, stange but it works). This was recommended to me by people on the server, and it did work, the Israeli stight is a tad higher than the std. meteric. However, DSA, will probably exchange your front sight for you.

good luck, I sure other will comment on the other points.

-lake

ce
September 25, 2001, 15:55
Frame lock is fine, it only sits flush when it isn't engaging the lug on the upper,i.e., when it is open.

Is your barrel STG, or is it Argie or Izzy?
Use of the one dot sight is rare, but sometimes neccessary, alternatively, the L1A1 or Izzky rear sight can be used, especially if your gas block is 3 millimeters too tall.

You're either losing gas from a missing pin, or the tube is not seated far enough in, or the tube is eroded away on the inside allowing blow-by.

All this is kind of moot because you can just send her back to DSA. You are very conversant in the vernacular, and would gain a great deal of experience from a total WECSOGulation of the impotent rifle, however, at this point it would be advisable that you pursue the former and eschew the latter.

You have done well with your inquiries here, get a kit and start your own project while you await repairs.This is why no one should own just one.

yankytrash
September 25, 2001, 16:28
For the extraction/ejection problem, first check the size of the gas hole set at 2.5 compared to your working FAL's hole size at 2.5. Could be the knob hasn't been completely screwed in before the lock ring was installed (if there is one on a DSA - I don't know).

Second, try swapping out the gas plug. If the piston was whipped, the gas plug could be worse.

Man, that sucks. New gun and you gotta wait until you can shoot it. Good luck...

qwezxc12
September 26, 2001, 10:58
ce:

The barrel is a Steyr. I didn't think I was losing gas, as I removed and re-installed the gas tube and retaining pin to put the handguard support ring on. The gas tube threads in and seats firmly and the pin is tight. If the tube is eroded on the inside, I can't tell - it's freshly parked.

yankytrash:

I'll check the relative sizes of the gas ports between guns at the same setting to compare - good idea. I'll try swapping gas plugs as well...it's not like I don't have 3 or 4 of them rolling around ( I can even choose between an R1, an STG, or an Imbel :) )

Thanks for the ideas guys; I'll try 'em before talking to DSA.

Alex

Bruce Allen
September 26, 2001, 14:37
Problem 1: Even with the front site post turned all the way down, it still shot 3” low @ 50 yds. The front site is a 2-dot variety, the same as my other STG. The rear site is a standard short Belgium type.
-----------------------------------
No at all uncommon. You have changed the relationship of the muzzle and the sights.
Get the "tall" Israeli rear sight and you will not have to file down the front sight at all. You can carefully grind the rear sight to the same profile/appearance of the Belgium and no one will ever know the difference.

In addition a properly sighted in FAL will be several inches low at 50 yards. I would shoot it at 100 yards and see how far it is before working in the sights.
-------------------------------------

Problem 2: The frame locking lever doesn’t lock flush against the tang on the lower – it has a 1/8” gap at the top when the upper in locked in place. The upper is firmly in place and doesn’t wobble, but the lever won’t close fully - it does, however, sit flush (fully locked) when the upper is open.
---------------------------------
It should not go all the way forward.
This allows for some wear on the locking mechanism. Don't worry about it. It's OK.

--------------------------------------
Problem 3: After running 3-4 mags through it and cleaning, it still didn’t eject reliably.
.... I had to run it on a setting of 2.5 to function.
-------------------------------

The gas ports are set to function the weapon reliabily with the 21" BBL. I think it is .096".
If you shorten the barrel you reduce the time gas has to flow through the port and thereby reducing the systems ability to operate the action.

Did the rifle function fine before the barrel was shortened?? If so then nothing is actually wrong, other than the gas port needs to be opened up a few thousanths (is that spelled right)and allow more gas to flow through the port.
I would guess to around .100 or so. Use the smallest size that will give you the function you want.
For example: A 16" bbl would require a .113 to .116" port to allow for proper function,
so a 18" bbl should not need a .113" port.

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: Bruce Allen ]

W.E.G.
September 26, 2001, 16:08
Originally posted by ce:
<STRONG>...impotent...and eschew the latter...</STRONG>

uh-huh-huh...He said he was impotent and told him to chew the latter...uh-huh-huh-huh

ce
September 26, 2001, 16:32
Shut up, Beavis.

Size does matter, and it looks like your problems are all due to the diminutive stature of your barrel.
My pal had a Bobbit-job that shot low and wouldn't cycle til he fixed it with a gas port reaming, and I fixed it with a one dot sight swap.
The fresh park on the inside is intiguing, does it hide a large inner diameter?
My ex-wife had a condition like that.
I sent her back and got a new model.

JJH
September 26, 2001, 22:17
Bottom Line, they have a warranty for a reason! Call them and send it back and get THEM to fix it. If this was a $60 surplus rifle then fixing it yourself would be a challenge. But why in the world would you want to have to WECSOG problems on a new $800+ rifle? DSA stands behind their product, let them fix it before you do something that voids the warranty. My 2 cents.