PDA

View Full Version : Poor-boy barreling - WECSOG

TerryN
September 24, 2001, 20:57
Anybody got a pic of the infamous $12 barrel lathe? The wooden thing that used 2 ignition point files?

How about an improvised receiver wrench?

Any suggestions, other than to buy Gunplumber's workbook? :confused:

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: gary.jeter ]

Radio
September 24, 2001, 21:20
Yeah, buy Gunplumber's video, too. :D

Since Orca went to parts unknown, so went his photos. Any links I've been able to find are long dead. Your only hope is if somebody happened to download to their hard drive, perhaps they could re-post them. Meanwhile, here's a cut-and-past from a previous discussion (August 07 2001) about this classic WECSOG tool. Enjoy.

* Posted by Timber Wolf September 29, 2000: "Somebody... posted a pic and directions of a homemade barrel lathe on the old board..."
That was our long-lost brother, Orca.
* Posted on February 19, 2000:
"This is really cheap and easy to build. Drill a 1/8" hole in any 2x4 with a spade bit until the starting point protrudes through the other side about 3/16". Install a 10/32 stove bolt from the bottom through a drilled-and-cut .308 case, tighten with a nut. Cut clearance slots for springs with a handsaw, pry excess wood out with a screwdriver. Install two tungsten ignition point files and springs from True Value Hardware. Slip your barrel onto the shortened .308 case. Turn with crescent wrench... close to 1 degree/min. Finished barrel fits and looks like it was turned on a lathe." (slightly edited for clarity)

Parts list:
*a short length of 2x4
*a .308 case with the primer drilled out and the shoulder cut off
*one 10/32 bolt with nut
*two ignition point files
*two small, short springs, coil length less than 1"
The photo illustration that accompanied this post has long since died. The ignition files had a small hole in one end and a short rat-tail handle on the other. The picture showed the files nailed (maybe a brad) to the 2x4, nail/brad sticking up slightly, one file pointing north and one south. The springs were hooked around the protruding nail/brad at one end and looped around the rat-tail handle at the other, so that each handle could pivot away from the fixed .308 brass but still have tension pulling it towards the center. Orca didn't say so, but his spade bit must have been at least 1" for the threaded end of the barrel to fit inside the 2x4. He also mentioned twisting the barrel with a crescent wrench, but your hands could be used, as Badger commented in the original post: "Kinda like startin' a fire with a stick."

--Radio

W.E.G.
September 24, 2001, 21:46
I don't think I have a pic. But here are links to three variations:
http://www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000378
http://www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000365
http://www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000314

Boomer
September 24, 2001, 21:55
Terry,

I just sent Gary the pic I have of Orca's homemande lathe. I would postit if I could but am not that technically inclined. Hopefully he will post it soon.

Robert

W.E.G.
September 24, 2001, 22:00
Presto! Post-O!

Orca's creation:

http://www.clark.net/pub/warwick1/orca-lathe.jpg

Radio
September 24, 2001, 23:44
WOW! Saved to my hard drive! SCHWING!!! Thanks Boomer and gary.

Of the three links gary put up, the middle one is the discussion I cut-and-pasted from.

Now, looking at the photo for the first time in over a year and a half, I'm embarrassed that my written description is significantly off. Funny what the memory does... got the basics down and really screwed up on some of the details. OKAY SUE ME!!! :D

Sorta have the odd feeling that this photo may not be the ORIGINAL as I could have sworn there was NO BARREL in place. Obviously I now feel more uncertain about my recollections, but I tentatively think this might have been the SECOND picture after Orca received a question on just how the thing worked. (Interesting how he didn't first remove the gas tube.) But the date is right on and this is certainly the real deal, an authentic Orca creation.

Does anybody have a clue where he went to? Salmon? Blackfoot? Out of the state?

--Radio

--------------------

"Can not say. Saying, I would know. Do not know, so can not say.” --Zathras

artifacts
September 25, 2001, 07:29
TerryN,
A good piece of hardwood, ash,maple,oak,or so works well for a one time receiver wrench. Start with a 3/4 in thick piece and trace the outline of the receiver. Drill a starting hole in the middle of the outline and carefully cut it out. I borrowed my neighbor's scroll saw. It should be a tight fit. You might have to do some filing and sanding if your sawing is off. Again, let me recommend the gunplumber video or workbook. Money well spent. artifacts

Uncle Buck
September 25, 2001, 10:09
Here are some pictures of the threaded rod barrel lathe. Although I have used this a lot, I have never used it on an StG barrel as they have all timed up perfectly from between 10:00 to 11:00 and 120-180 ft.lbs of torque.

It is pretty easy to make a "lathe" to spin the barrel to make face cuts on the torque shoulder. You need:
1. 3 ft x 1/4 inch all thread rod
2. Ball bearing sliding glass door roller with a 1/4 center hole.
3. 1/4 inch conical brass compression ferrule.
4. Fired case
5. electrical tape. 6. 2 nuts to fit the threaded rod.
7. Electric drill to turn the barrel.
8. file
Deprime the fired case and drill a 1/4 inch hole in the center of the primer hole. Wrap the threaded rod with electrical tape for the lenght of the barrel. Put one end of the rod through the case and insert the rod into the barrel bore. Put the conical ferule on the rod at the muzzle end. Then put the ball bearing wheel on the muzzle end. Put nuts on each end of the rod and tighten them. Chuck the chambered end in the drill, hold the drill in a vise. Position the bearing wheel in a V block or nail it to a block of wood. Start the drill turning and use a file to remove metal. Check often as it removes metal pretty quickly.
Good luck!

http://members.home.net/cglabe1/photos/Lathe1.jpg

http://members.home.net/cglabe1/photos/Lathe2.jpg

TerryN
September 25, 2001, 21:11
:D COOL! Thanks guys, this is exactly what I needed! Now, to Auto Zone for the files! ;)