PDA

View Full Version : New UHMW Receiver Wrench

sportsnut
March 25, 2002, 15:48
Here is a picture of a receiver wrench that I made out of 1/2" UHMW [Poly}. It works like a champ! :D http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=bowtie&album_id=61858&image_id=0&courtesy=1

HD99FXR3
March 27, 2002, 08:19
big plus to this material is it won't mess up receiver. life cycle might not be to good, but hey what the heck use what yea got. improvising is the American way ;)

rob1
March 27, 2002, 08:36
Are you using it as a wrench or just a clamp? If using as a wrench, what are you using to turn it with? I'm thinking of working up something like this, probably in wood, just don't know what I'll use to torque it.

45/70
March 27, 2002, 09:15
Rob1,
I'm looking at this from the same prospective as you. What I see, as possible, here is to take a piece of 1" tube steel and match drill to the clamping bolts on the fixture. Make the tube about 36" long and you should have plenty of torque.

The wood fixture pictured elsewhere, I can't figure out how he uses it either???? It's trapped in the vise, he must be turning the barrel? I've got a barrel wrench, but not sure how it would work on these tapered barrels...sounds like too much torque is required too.

Just my .02 cents

rob1
March 27, 2002, 16:22
45/70, the wooden one is basically used as a vise block, and the actual torquing is done on the barrel. This one is probably used the same way.
I have barreled two by simply padding the vise very well, but there is always the possibility of crushing the receiver, which would NOT be good! This looks like a good cheap option for eliminating or at least reducing that risk. A 27mm or 1 1/16"(I think, cant find mine) will work on the barrel flats. I had to take a little off the barrel face on one of mine to get it to time properly.
A receiver wrench seems to be the preferred method of barreling, but I am very cheap, so I am looking for a low cost way around that. If you use a receiver wrench, you still have to find a very secure way of clamping hte barrel so it won't turn under the torque.

45/70
March 27, 2002, 16:40
Rob1,
Even though I am pretty well tooled for bolt actions, I'm hesitant to use my barrel wrench on such a skinny barrel. I like the looks of the Elliot vise. I also think that turning the reciever gives a guy more control, than turning the barrel. But, I haven't tried it with a FAL yet...I might play around with my barrel wrench and see if I can get one to time? If it works well, I won't even bother buying any more tools, thats for sure.

On using a 27mm wrench on the flats, I've read about enough posts to scare me away from trying that. I might entertain building a box end wrench just for FAL's, Yeah...I think I'm on to something there. Ever thought of doing that? I'm going to draw one up and see how it looks. I'll let you know what I find...Twood be cheep!

45/70

rob1
March 27, 2002, 18:07
I also like the idea of being able to turn the receiver, just haven't found a super cheepo way of doing that yet. Using the 1 1/16 wrench hasn't been a problem, but I would rather do something else myself because there is a first time for everything, and I don't want to experience the first time screw up on this!

3doghouse
March 27, 2002, 19:06
What is that stuff?

idsubgun
March 28, 2002, 06:31
Originally posted by 3doghouse:
<STRONG>What is that stuff?</STRONG>

A high-density plastic. Really tough.

Falcon
March 28, 2002, 07:00
I built one from white UHMW last year, stuff is easy to work with. Cut it into halves, drilled a few holes in it for the bolts and then traced the receiver outline onto it.I then used a small table router to hog out the material and some relief areas.It fit into the jaws of a 36" aluminum pipe wrench I have. Worked very well and is an ideal "field expedient" material to get the job done. I'd post pics but hunting-pictures.com is down.

sportsnut
March 29, 2002, 03:59
The one above is used clamped in the vise.

I also have one I built to use as a receiver wrench. It looks just like the one in the picture above, except I cut two pieces 2"x2"x1/4" steel plate. I drilled and bolted them together. One on the front and one on the oppisite side of the UHMW. I then welded the face of a 3/8" drive socket to the steel plate. Now my 3/8" drive torque wrench snaps right into the socket that is welded to the steel plate, which is bolted to the UHMW receiver wrench. I will try and get a picture posted.

sportsnut
March 29, 2002, 04:08
I do have access to a Elliot receiver wrench {thanks Red Rider} but i'm one who loves to tinker. My wife says if i wasn't tinkering i wouldn't be me. ;)