PDA

View Full Version : Inch Upper Receiver?

nouglyguns
March 25, 2002, 12:09
Is there such a thing as a Inch pattern L1A1 upper receiver on the market? If not, why? Is this why Century uses so many mismatched parts on their FAL's? (I know, they just don't care)
There seems to be some L1A1 kits out there & I was wondering if you could build a true inch pattern rifle. :confused:

Templator
March 25, 2002, 12:40
Entre'prise manufactures an Inch upper. There are also a few Imbel inch uppers out there, but cosmetically, they appear to be type 3's externally. DSA has been hinting that they may offer an inch type upoper in the near future, but it's still up in the air. Judging from DSA'a inability to keep up with the demand for their metric uppers, I wouldn't hold my breath.

FALJUNKIE
March 25, 2002, 12:45
Check the Enterprise web site. I'm in the middle of planning an inch build but I hear so many different opinions about there receivers that I'm not sure if I want to take a chance on their product. There is a rumor going around that DSA may have an inch receiver around the end of this year. Good luck and good hunting

acr
March 25, 2002, 12:53
I have one of the Century brand inch receivers on order now. I will report what I get when I get it in and put it together.

Master Blaster
March 25, 2002, 22:30
You will read a myriad of opinions on the Entraprise receiver so be advised. I have 2 of their Inch offerings and I couldn't be happier.
Regards,
Jim

blackbird
March 26, 2002, 01:50
I have an inch IMBEL non-gear logo marked "L1A1 sporter". It came from Century and was an easy build for an Aussie FAL. No problems.

KYCol
March 26, 2002, 11:23
:p Just received my inch L1A1 receiver from Century. Looks real good. They are on sale during the month of March for $150.

kotengu
March 26, 2002, 12:37
Does it have the correct lightening cut? How about the internal sand cuts????

Tango 1Zero
March 26, 2002, 12:49
I also used an Imbel inch cut for my Aussie kit. It timed perfect with the kits washer and the locking shoulder to.

nouglyguns
March 26, 2002, 14:04
Let me take this a little farther. Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you just had to have an inch pattern rifle, wouldn't it be easier to go ahead & build a metric rifle? Say I had a Imbel gear logo receiver, got a good G1 kit & necessary US parts & sent them to gumplumber for a $150 assembly job. I will do the finishing & stock work. I'm starting to think everyone needs more than one FAL.

Templator
March 26, 2002, 14:21
Nouglyguns,...If you like the profile of an inch pattern rifle,.. but are put off by the lack of quality receivers for them, I have a suggestion.

The Argentine barrels that are currently on the market bear a close resemblace to an inch typs barrel,.. high, open eared gas block and so on.

A type one metric receiver looks very much like an inch type.

An inch lower will hook right up to a metric upper.

Get a type one receiver from either FAC or DSA,.. buy a new Argentine barrel from SARCO,.. get an inch type walnut stock set from Dan@VOW,.. get a folding charging handle for the metric receiver from FSE,.. put them all together and you'll have a nice rifle that looks remarkably similiar to a commonwealth pattern,.. without the usual hassels and expense of using inch pattern parts.