PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever use a DPMS FAL reciever?

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 25, 2002, 10:02
TIA

ironheadsportster
March 25, 2002, 10:12
I will be starting a build on one today after the BBT gets here. The reciever i have here looks real nice the machiening looks good. The DPMS logo is a little uggly but if it is half as good sa there ar15 stuff I will be more than happy

19kilo
March 25, 2002, 10:14
Hey Iron, when did you get thier receiver? I was talking to one of their sales reps (I live in MN) and he was saying sometime around March/April they will be coming out with a FAL receiver minus the very large logo on the side.
Tim

ironheadsportster
March 25, 2002, 10:34
I got the reciever about october to replace a hesse reciever I used on a very nice imbal kit but befor i got around to changing it Tapco had G-1 kits for $99 how could I resist that deal? now i think i will look for an Imbal or wait untill the new DPMS coms out. Havent decided what to do with the hesse yet but I defenitly would not recomend annyone buy one.

hydrotx
March 25, 2002, 11:45
Look around for Ricochet and ask him. He purchased DPMS receivers from their first release and had some issues, I know he said some were fixed but he can give you the lowdown.

Regards,
Joel

Shrike
March 25, 2002, 21:56
^^BTT^^
Would like more info on these DPMS receivers. They look nice on the website, i can live with the big ugly logo. Hows the quality?

JackalopeFALfan
March 26, 2002, 11:00
DAMN! I feel like a schmuck because I forgot to ask the DPMS guys about it when I saw them at the gun show last weekend!

Sorry, I was too busy buying an AR from them and it slipped my mind completely!

Are their FAL receivers made out of steel, or the all-dangerous aluminum?

Another big gun show next month at the state fairgrounds. I will look at them then...

Templator
March 26, 2002, 11:12
I inquired about DPMS receivers shortly after becoming a member of the forum. The responses that I got indicated that they were pretty decent pieces of work. If they would remove that butt ugly logo from the side of them, they'd probably sell a boatload of them.

The people at DPMS need to realize that most people want their FALs to look as close to original as possible. That big tiger head and the letters DPMS running down the side of the mag well just "don't do".

ironheadsportster
March 26, 2002, 13:15
I just got my G-1 kit assembled on a DPMS reciever and was very happy with how things went. I have to headspace it yet (Waiting for Tools). and living in the sticks I havent found a gunsmith cappable in my area. But the reciever is nicely made and everything went together with no problems so I don't expect headspacing to be a problem.

colt88
March 26, 2002, 22:15
Does anyone have a link to DPMS? Would like to find out what they have to offer. Have heard about them but never seen a link to their site.

19kilo
March 26, 2002, 22:28
Try www.dpmsinc.com (http://www.dpmsinc.com) I have 2 of their AR uppers for my Eagle Arms pre ban lower. The last flat top I bought from them was out of spec. I went to return it at the next gun show explaining how it did not fit my lower. The DPMS guy smugly asked if I had an Olympic. I informed him it was an old Eagle Arms with 3 other uppers that fit w/no probs. He lost his smug smile and promptly offered either a refund or an exchange. I took the excanage and was a happy camper.
Tim

ricochet
March 26, 2002, 22:40
My first and second set of DPMS receivers were indeed buildable, but reqired some work. They were not of the quality of IMBEL, DSA, or Enteprise, but they are improving. They are usable (I have 3 usable builds) but they needed improvemement), and they may have done so.
Mmy 3 builds go bang each time, but they were not quite up to the other mentioned in quality. Pay a little more for your builds as you learn, but these are buildable.