PDA

View Full Version : Two thumbs up on 2 rods timing method...

Gavin
March 25, 2002, 09:29
Tried it yesterday for the first time... really took the guesswork out of the whole operation - I always get it right on, but it surely takes a lot longer.
Thanks you guys...
Gavin

Templator
March 25, 2002, 09:35
I use the two rods method also, Gavin,.. it'll make you appreciate how little the barrel has to be out of time for it to be noticable. The rods that I use are 36" long. The tiniest amount will be demonstrated as a gap between the tips of the rods on either one or the other end. With the two rods you can dial a barrel in EXTREMELY close.

sportsnut
March 25, 2002, 11:15
Makes it very easy.

AKASL
March 25, 2002, 17:45
OK I'll bite :D What is the 2 rods Method of timing a barrel?? I am waiting for my receiver to come in from FAC and I figure I have a little bit more time to learn something new. So fire away and let's have all the details.

Thanks
AKASL

Uncle Buck
March 25, 2002, 18:47
You just get 2 straight rods 1/8 or 3/16 inch and 36 inches long. (I use 1/8 inch TIG/gas welding fill rod.) You balance one carefully in the hole for the handguard screw in the front sight block. Make sure that the hole is clean and free of burrs. Balance the other one on the receiver flats for the bolt carrier. Step back and sight down the center of the rods so that they are in the same plane. If the rods are superimposed, the barrel is at TDC. If you see an X out at the tips, the barrel is either under or over timed. It is accurate to about 0.2 degree.

Shrike
March 25, 2002, 21:50
looks cool, but where do you get 2 straight rods? wood dowels are usually warped, and my cleaning rods are slightly bent.