PDA

View Full Version : repairing cracks in wood PG and buttstock

LAFAL
March 24, 2002, 18:32
My G-1 from Tapco came with wooden PG and buttstock. Both show some nice grain but both are cracked. What can I use to fill in the cracks that will take up stain but be strong enough to reinforce the area around the crack? Will Liquid wood work or sawdust mixed with wood glue? Anyone have a workable solution? Thanks Lee

Doubleought
March 24, 2002, 18:58
You could try Brownell's Acraglass epoxy or get a 30 minute epoxy from the hardware store. I don't like the 5 minute epoxies because they are not as strong as the epoxies that take longer to set. You can mix in stain or dye. HTH

Brian in MN
March 24, 2002, 19:59
Go with the Acraglas from Brownell's. Good stuff, you will find yourself using it for lots of stuff. Works on stock bedding, cracks in wood and plastic, delaminated plywood stocks and more. It comes with packets of black and brown dye.

LAFAL
March 24, 2002, 20:30
Thanks! I've got to put in an order from Brownell's soon anyway. I'll give it a try. Appreciate the quick responses.

FN74
March 24, 2002, 20:33
Sawdust mixed with super glue works well.

If you don't want to mix it, it works well without the sawdust as well.....

Dries clear, just use something to smooth it out - I use a razor blade and steel wool. ;)

Sumoj275
March 25, 2002, 00:35
Goriella Glue. Get it from Ace or Lowes.

Great stuff that is stronger than anything I have used because it foams when it comes in contact with wet surface. Also, it will stain and can be worked down.

gunplumber
March 25, 2002, 01:30
for cracks running with the grain, use steel corregated fastener 3/8" x 5/8". press to min 1/4" depth and sand off excss.

For cracks at front of butstock, mill slot and glue in slip patch cross-grain.

also use 1/8" brass all-thread. trill undesize hole, screw in allthread with electric drill, cut off and resurface.

my favorite method. Thro the POS in the fireplace and install new IWD walnut set.

Muggzy
March 25, 2002, 11:18
Brownels also has "Shellac Stick" in various
colors. You heat a pallet knife and touch it to the Shellac Stick then fill the voids in the stock and sand. I have not used it but I have considered it for another project.