PDA

View Full Version : ACOG reticule...FOCUS!

jamesq
December 30, 2005, 12:46
i looked at one of these yesterday in a shop in town and i had a hard time focusing in on the reticule. my eyes are slipping a little but i had them checked and don't NEED glasses as of yet. i would like to hold off on that as long as possible anyway. how is it supposed to work? can any of you see the donut and meter under it clearly and your target without straining your eyes, or do i really need reading glasses?

MrBen
December 30, 2005, 22:16
I believe you are supposed to keep both eyes open. That really help me as I couldnt see it all with one eye closed

I am bob
January 01, 2006, 20:39
close up (e.g. in the store) you cant both focus on the reticle and also the target.. you'll notice 2 things.. 1 : the world is crisp and the reticle is blurry or nonexistant. 2: the reticle looks very small. now head outside and aim at something 50 or 100 yards out. the reticle appears larger and the target and reticle will both be in focus. I find that using a little bit of parallax helps shift eye dominance.. if I move my head a little to the side, my right eye cant see thru the scope clearly and my brain automatically shifts to the left eye and you basically see the world, but also the red lighted portion of the reticle (presuming you are talking about a BAC model) - it looks sorta like a red dot scope.. when you are on target, move your head back to the normal position (this is a milimetric thing, not a big head movement), and you right eye now takes over and you get the magnified view with the full reticle. it really works, but not at 10 feet! :wink:

gewehrmonkey
January 06, 2006, 15:00
ACOGs are hard to appreciate when off of the gun. I looked at them at gunshows and poo-pooed the idea. After I had a chance to shoot an ACOG equipped rifle, I quickly changed my mind.
To utilize the BAC function, you must keep both eyes open.
Otherwise, use it like a standard scope (some people believe that you should always keep both eyes open to reduce eye strain and fatigue, YMMV).
The reticle also seems very small when you are just looking through it at the gun store. It is not so in actual usage. Wierd thing that everyone seems to notice.
I like having the quickness of the BAC,which is almost as fast as a red dot, matched with the ability to scan a little further out. I currently run a TA31 on my 16" AR, and will be adding a 3x Compact ACOG with + reticle shortly to my FAL PARA.

I am bob
January 07, 2006, 00:54
yep.. exactly. I could never figure out why anyone would pay that much money for a scope, till I shot the thing.. it just comes alive out there.. cant explain it.. you have to go shoot one. then be prepared to shell out ;)

averagejohndoh308
January 24, 2006, 03:27
They are pretty sweet. Wish I had some dough to shell out...;)

What's the furthest you guys have shoot with them?

19kilo
February 01, 2006, 22:14
I just picked up a TA31A for my Peace Corps mission to A'Stan. Currently mounted on my M4-gery. For me, it is THE perfect sight. Can be used for CQB building clearing, then the ability to reach out 4-500 yds without switching optics, or buttons, or turning a dial.
The TA31-A has the solid red triangle with the ranging branch under marked for 4-800m. Zero it at 100m. Use the tip for precision shooting at that range. Out at 300M use the bottom of the Triangle, then pick up the BDC out to 800m.
CQB, keep both eyes open, you can clearly see the 4 MOA triangle, your weak eye sees the room, targets, the red triangle is super-imposed on the scene. Red dot on target, pull trigger, bad guy hit. It is not as "fast" as an Aimpoint in CQB, but it is a close second. Reaching out to max range, it kicks the shit out of the Aimpoint.
Cheers.

SCOUTS OUT

shunkanumpa
February 02, 2006, 01:50
You got it , 19kilo. my experience exactly. nuf said