PDA

View Full Version : "Fusion" Ammo by Federal - DON'T USE!

rwwje
December 27, 2005, 23:18
I've shot three deer with Federal's new "Fusion" ammo (.270 caliber, 130 gr. bullet). The "Fusion" ammo bullet is touted as the "ultimate deer bullet", but it DOES NOT EXPAND! The 10 and 8 point deer were shot broadside at approxiamtely 80 yards from the same stand from a rest; and the hits were good double lung shots (POA on the "rear line" of the front leg, elbow high). Both blood trails with fragments of rib bone were tracked with one stopping after 150 yards and the other tracked for 1.5 miles until after dark ending after crossing two other persons' land (unknown persons, no permissions). The 6-point was shot quartering away with the POA approximately 4 inches behind the "rear line" of the front leg. The top of the heart was hit and the deer bolted for 30 yards and dropped stone cold dead. But, I couldn't tell where the deer was hit when I field dressed (gutted) the 6-point. Only after skinning the deer could I see the entry/exit wound locations - there were NO "jellied" tissue typical of every deer I've shot. The wound looked like what could be expected from a .22 rimfire. The only reason he dropped was due to the heart being hit. I wonder how many other deer have been shot, wounded, lost, and wasted with this crap ammo?

See the last post in the following link for a similar situation which reads in part, "............However, my complaint lies with the terminal balistcs of the Fusion bullet. All three rounds passed right through. entry and exit wounds were about the same size, with two broken ribs on the exit side. based on the fact that after taking three solid hits in the vitals this deer still made it 150yd +/- a few yds I'm not all that impressed. It would seem that the fusion bullet isn't expanding quick enough? Or its still moving too fast to expand? I'm just basing this on the fact that a white tail deer is a realitively frail animal (compared to moose/elk/bear/boar...) and a bullet that is marketed as specifically "engineered" for deer hunting should expand a bit faster in soft tissue.........." Fusion Ammo Lack of Stopping power (http://www.benelliusa.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000038;p=0)

I don't know if all lots/calibers of Fusion ammo are non-expanding crap, but the lot I used (Lot No. 3 34 Y519 in .270 caliber) is disgusting, deer wasting, negligently manufactured non-expanding CRAP!

motosapien
December 28, 2005, 04:08
Hard to beat good old Remington Core-Locked or Winchester Power Points. Around these parts guys buy 180 gr. loadings for their 3006's and have similar troubles. I've used ballistic tips on deer in recent years ( a box lasts a while ) and have had good performance from them although there have been reports of early bullet fragmentation from some. My deer dropped like their legs vanished.

Big Jon
December 28, 2005, 11:57
No bullet that I can think of offhand should be able to move too fast to expand. In fact it should blow up and fragment if it were too move too fast for the design. Its hard to beat classics like the Nosler Partition.

Buy some of the Federal Premium next time and don't worry about it. As long as you are shooting less than a couple of boxes per year the price difference is worth not having to chase down game.

rwwje
December 28, 2005, 14:12
I'm back to the good ol' $11.00 a box Winchester 130 grain Power Points, which are yielding 1" groups at 100 yards for Lot No. 69WC71 in my deer rifle. I had initially chosen the Fusion because it consistently shot less than 1" groups, while every other brand and bullet weight ammo (Hornady, Remington, and other Winchester products) shot 2" to 4" groups. Some Of my potential shots are out to 300 yards, which makes "one inch" ammo a requirement. The first box of Winchester Power Points purchased last year provided 1/2" groups at 100 yards, while all subsequent lots opened up to 2-3 inches. The 130 grain .270 Fusion ammo is very consistent and very accurate, but is not suitable for hunting due to the complete lack of expansion. PMP 150 grain .270 at $6.95 a box also consistently provides one inch groups at 100 yards, but does not ("not" added by edit) shoot flat enough for a "300 yard point blank range" zero as does the 130 grain Winchester Power Points with a BC=0.372 at 2,950 to 3,000 fps out of a 22" tube.

I agree that there's no such thing as "too much velocity" for an expanding bullet to expand, though it may explosively fragment and fail to penetrate enough for a quick, clean kill.

Jon Frum
December 28, 2005, 20:00
Thanks for the heads up.

Timber Wolf
December 29, 2005, 10:51
I am having similiar results from Hornady .308 150 Light Magnums out of my Savage 99. Have shot two deer, one shot each kills. First deer ran about 60-70 yards and second dropped in his tracks. But upon examination very small exit wounds were found. The first deer who ran did leave some small blood marks on bushes he brushed against and it was a good thing because he ended up under some palmeto and would have been very hard to find without the little blood trail to track. The second deer did not bleed at all and I had to run my finger over him and poke to find the .308 size exit hole.

I do not consider this a "failure" of the round, I did kill two deer with two shots, just that at the speeds it generates and the distances I hit the deer the bullet did not expand. So, after an analysis of my personal hunting situations I am now working with a Marlin .45-70 I hope to kill some deer with in a couple of weeks. I've done smallish and fast lets try big and slow. :D

Edit: I should also admit that I am a little slow myself. I previously hunted with a 25-06 using the Hornady Light Mags and had similiar results on the one deer I shot with it. Although well hit and dying it did require a finishing mercy shot to the head. I parked the 25-06 then in favor of the .308 and although I am more pleased with it I believe the light mags are still to much for small to medium whitetails.

Charles Bobinis
December 29, 2005, 17:14
Back in the days when Pennsylvania had deer, my hunting partner used his 30-06 with core lock Remington 180 Gr., and all his many deer dropped where they stood.

I have used 165 Gr. Remington premium boattails in my 700 ADL in '06, which shoot like a hand load, and while most deer dropped where they were hit, I did have to walk 30-40 yards after a big strong buck, notwithstanding a solid double lung shot, (his lungs were "puree.")

I took a couple of Doe with a Savage 111 in .308 using Silver Bear 140 gr.; its a dream to carry and shoot, but it "tortures" the deer. I had to shoot one twice in the lungs at 45 yards (same hole); another one twitched on the ground for awhile before expiring. I'm shooting the rest of it up as practice ammo, and going up to 165-168 gr..

My first buck I took with a Model 94 Trapper, 170 Gr. Silvertip. A big old buck ran 50 yards. Adequate.

I took a young buck with a sporterized No1 Mark III Enfield using 180 gr. Winchester. Less than perfect shot placement, chased him 150 yards( down into a freaking run). Paid for it on the drag back up.

Lessons learned:

Any centerfire rifle cartridge of reasonable caliber and energy (.303, .308, 30'06), will kill deer with minimum tracking afterwards if the shot placement is there.

If you have a heart for the game, use a heavy bullet.

owlcreekok
December 30, 2005, 11:20
Oddly enough, I read this earlier this morning, then went to the "Little Office" and flipped through the November 'American Rifleman'. There's a big glowing write up on this Fusion ammo in that issue. I thought (yes it hurt) briefly about emailing A.R. and telling them that SOME reports on the stuff don't shine so bright.

FWIW

CRShooter32
December 31, 2005, 19:49
I used Federal Fusion ammo this year, also the 130gr .270 loads, and took a deer, dropped it with one shot. The bullet did in fact expand, did alot of damage, hit the deer at an angle, on the front right shoulder, round destroyed said shoulder, butcher said there was nothing left of it, took out a lung, and part of the liver before exiting.