PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the gas tube/carry handle retaining

runningiron
March 23, 2002, 17:44
nut loose on my Century R1A1. All I want to do is reduce the way my carry handle flops around. Rounded off the lip of the DSA tool and the edge of the slot. I even tried turning both directions. Any ideas on how to get that sucker loose? Imbel receiver and inch kit.

Shrike
March 23, 2002, 18:10
Take a MAPP or propane torch to it, heat it up a little untill it gives out a little puff off smoke. That would be dried up oil/cosmoline/blueing salts that century does not clean up when they assemble. Do not heat *TOO* much. put a rag over the nut (so you dont scratch or fugg it up) then use channel lock pliers to loosten it. It is a standard right hand thread, by the way. You may want to remove the gas tube retaining pin on the other side of the gas tube (1/16 in punch)so you dont mess up your gas tube.
That always works for me, but there are probly other (read better) tecniques.
Good luck,
Mike

HD99FXR3
March 23, 2002, 18:15
squrit some penetrating oil on it kroil is best, if that doesn't work try propane torch, it unscrews counterclock wise. if that doesn't work, run in circles offering first born as sacrifice to the FAL gods if it will just unscrew. (sorry just having a little fun) :D :D :D

HD99FXR3
March 24, 2002, 00:34
i don't know i never had to pray/make sacrifices to harley gods yet, so far shes been good as gold, come to think of it for what i paid she better be made out of gold! :D :D :D

usmc326
March 24, 2002, 03:08
The heat, rag, & vice grips should work. Some guys recommend using a brass punch, or regular punch, in the
nut slots to break it loose(this will
chew up the slots). I had one that if I had looked closer I would've noticed that the nut slots were buggered beyond use, and I wouldn't have broken my wrench trying to make it work.

Anne, at DSA, surprisingly offered to
replace damaged nut tools(I don't think she realizes how many there are!). Ship it back, and enclose the money for another gas tube nut, $5-$10 on their parts page. The one I ordered
was new, with the black park. The slots on a new one are alot more responsive to the wrench.

The secret to keeping those nut wrenches from slipping & breaking is to have the rifle in a padded vise(use rags), with one hand on the handle and the other hand on top of the wrench pressing down, so it doesn't slip. I have used the new wrench with both hands for two years now, with no wear.

HD99FXR3
March 25, 2002, 13:00
nocompromise,like the handle says mines a 1999 FXR3 1 of only 300 blue ones made. only has about 7,000 miles

sledgehammer
March 26, 2002, 08:42
I usually just heat them just a little and take a larger punch that fits the slot correctly and lightly tap counter clockwise. Works everytime and doesn't ding up the slot.

sledgehammer
March 26, 2002, 08:45
Also, when you get the carry handle out, you can put the rounded eye of the handle in a vise and slightly bend the end to make a tighter fit in your receiver.

kotengu
March 26, 2002, 22:35
I just had one that even with heat AND penetrating oil wouldn't come loose - I bought a cheap pair of slip-joint pliers and filed the "grippers" into the half-moon shape of the slots in the nut - PERFECT!

.....and only $2.97 at Wal-Mart