PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Rifle on Hesse Kevlar lower.... possible?

Shrike
March 23, 2002, 17:42
Is this possible? Is the kevlar lower made to the same specs as a *normal* AR15 Lower? Would it be strong enough? I think this would make a light weight poodle-shooter even lighter.
Thanks,
Mike

19kilo
March 23, 2002, 23:16
Damn, kinda a glutten for punishment are ya? Has Hesse made ANYTHING that was within spec? Talk to someone who bought his AK receivers, or F'ed up FAL receivers, not to mention that I have met him a couple of times and he just does not strike me as a kind of guy that I would trust my face/teeth to with 50,000 c.u.p. next to. I guess if you really wanted to save 2-3 grams then go with the Kevlar/composite/plastic lower. Just remember all those that tried to save a few grams on the aluminum WAC reciever.
Tim

ARMALITE FAN
March 23, 2002, 23:16
Theres no stress on a AR lower.The bolt locks up in the barrel.Theres no stress on the upper ethier.

Gets me thinking about a kevlar FAL upper.Would it be strong enough to take the pressure of the locking shoulder?What it there was a steel insert to spread it out over a larger area.

19kilo
March 23, 2002, 23:23
I understand that the lowers do not take any of the abuse the LS of a FAL does, I could imagine someone making a damn fine lower out of a composite material. Is that person Robert Hesse? I would not risk my money. Has anyone said his FAL receivers were dangerous? NO, but out of spec? YES.
Tim

HD99FXR3
March 23, 2002, 23:30
shrike not trying to kick you in the butt, but HESSE = CENTURY = mostly SH*T. HTH

Shrike
March 23, 2002, 23:36
Originally posted by HD99FXR3:
<STRONG>shrike not trying to kick you in the butt, but HESSE = CENTURY = mostly SH*T. HTH</STRONG>
Funny, HD. Strange, I PM'ed you a couple of hours ago saying the same thing.

:D
Mike

flashx
March 24, 2002, 08:14
Ive built 2 AR's on Hesse lowers (aluminum) and had no problems. Alot of the the bad press you hear are guys who have never built or owned one, just repeating something they read somewhere. One of the guys on AR15.COM just built one on a Kevlar lower and he only had a few small problems

HD99FXR3
March 24, 2002, 17:23
flashx, if gunsmiths refuse to build a rifle on hesse receivers thats not just hear say.

eodinert
March 24, 2002, 20:59
I'm sure hesse does not have the plastic manufacturing facilities himself. Perhaps whoever he farmed it out to did a good job. Or maybe not...

Take a look at one.

See also Professional Ordnance Carbon 15.

-Doug

tor
March 25, 2002, 07:10
I see it comming guy's :

CARBON KEVLAR COMBAT ELITE
"NEW from Williams Arms"

:D

ironheadsportster
March 25, 2002, 10:07
Hesse farms out the molding but dose the machiening himself and his costomer service sucks!!!!! If the part has been used meaning left his shop the warentee is off, Just my experience.

flashx
March 25, 2002, 17:08
Well HD99 ive done two myself so Im not repeating what ive heard, Im stating fact. Some gunsmiths wont build an AR no matter who makes the lower. The person who said Hesse service sucks is correct. The owner has the personality of an unflushed urinal!!

HD99FXR3
March 26, 2002, 12:47
flashx, i'm just repeating what i was told by 2 different smiths that build FALs if i wanted to use hesse or enterprise i would have to find somebody else, if their customer service sucks then so does their product. the product is only as good as the people who stand behind it. gun smiths are in business to make money and if they won't use a certain product it's usally because it has to many problems, and takes to much time for them to fix and still be resonable on price. i am glad you have had good experiences with Hesse most have not. and if ARS and triple h don't have time to mess with above named companys i don't ether.