PDA

View Full Version : Roll pins?

Beavo
March 23, 2002, 14:10
Greetings! I was looking over cruffler's info on building the FAL and was curious whether anyone had actually used their suggestion of using roll pins? The kit that I have is missing some pins and I am curious if this would work. How would the durability be? Thanks!

Templator
March 23, 2002, 14:31
I'm assuming that you mean using roll pins for the gas tube securing pin and the charging handle pins.

They work very well. 2mm diameter pins will fit all of the mentioned applications. For the gas tube, you'll need 2mm diamater, 10mm long pins,... for the charging handle, 2mm diameter, 8mm long. They fit very tightly, but will go in with little problem if you pinch one end together with a pair of pliers before inserting them. I buy them from a local industrial house,.. $5 per 100. I bought 100 of the 10mm long pins and just grind 2mm off of them for the charging handle application.

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: Templator ]

Beavo
March 23, 2002, 20:56
Anyone use the roll pins for securing the gas block? TIA

Templator
March 24, 2002, 11:25
I haven't tried it, beavo,.. but I can see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine. The gas block isn't subjected to much stress as far as applies to it being positioned on the barrel. As tightly as those buggers go on, I'd say that you could get away without any pin at all if you wanted to. I'm sure that a roll pin will hold it forever.

19kilo
March 24, 2002, 21:35
Add to the strength of the hand guard screw that fits into a recess in the top of the bbl then through the sight block then the hand guards. With a set of hand guards screwed in place that is one more "locking" method employed on the FAL.
Tim

medicmike
March 24, 2002, 23:16
I keep a stock of hardened music wire in various sizes for making pins (the stuff is available at hobby shops and is used for landing gear and other parts on radio controled airplanes).