PDA

View Full Version : Reciever latch removal...

DougW
March 22, 2002, 22:42
Do I have to remove the recoil spring tube on an inch Aussie L1A1 to remove the latch? I am fitting the new Entreprise Type 1, and I need to grind on the latch pin. Does the tube un-screw, or is it soldered? BTW, I have had to do MORE fitting and filing work on this new Ent. reciever than I had to do on my Century Frankenfal. I really think the Century reciever is better built (no I am not on drugs..... at least I don't think I am). I also can't believe what I just said. The price on the Entreprise recievers have gone up so much that the next build will be with am Imbel or a FAC.

Shrike
March 23, 2002, 01:16
I am very tired right now, but i think you are talking about the Frame Lock, that locks the lower to the upper receiver. No you do not need to remove the recoil tube.
First, take off the buttstock.
get a small screwdriver and right under the frame locking LUG (which is right under the recoil tube) unscrew the small screw.
Next (wear saftey glasses, just in case) push out the frame locking lever from the RIGHT side of the lower. the frame lock lug will spring forward, but should not go flying.
use a 3/32 punch to take out the frame lock PIN from the LEFT side of the receiver.
Push the frame lock LUG out the back of the lower, there should be a plunger, spring, and the lug. you may need a new lug from www.dsarms.com (http://www.dsarms.com) if it is well worn.
If you do it in the order above, you do not have to worry about flying springs. i still suggest wearing glasses. reverse order for reassembly.
Good luck,
Mike

DougW
March 23, 2002, 10:38
Mike,there is a clearance problem. When the lug comes back, it hits the recoil spring tube. There is not enough clearance to remove the lug, and I don't want to force it out. Have you run into this problem in your past?
Doug

March 23, 2002, 13:22
DougW,
Ran into the same problem getting the plunger out. Solved by cleaning all the gunk out or everything to get max clearance. Then I turned the plunger so the slot lined up with the recoil tube and it came out. Hope this helps.

DougW
March 23, 2002, 13:41
Thanks for the input. I tried a little tapping with a long punch. There was just enough clearance for the plunger to pop out. I filed, and tapped it back in. Perfect position the first time, so she is back together. Thanks again!