PDA

View Full Version : Bead blasting bolt carrier

gunnut1
September 02, 2001, 15:39
I would like to bead blast my bolt carrier in order to Aluma-Coat it. I know I can bead blast the outside with out any problem but what about the inside?

Also, can you safely bead blast the bolt?

FXE
September 02, 2001, 15:53
gunnut1

I've Glass Beaded 6 so far, both Bolt and Carrier. No problems, but I was finishing with Black Oxide! I don't think there's enough room for much of a coating paint, if that's what you mean?

FXE

gunnut1
September 02, 2001, 16:41
I am going to coat the outside of the carrier with Aluma-coat. I intend to mask the carrier rails and front. I will probably blue the interior. The bolt doesn't really need to be claend with a good bead blasting. It would be just fine the way it is. I am just tring to make this kit look new!

Jen
September 02, 2001, 16:46
Most of the FAL kits I have seen that have had a painted finish have Painted Externals and the internals, bolt, carrier, hts, etc.. are all parkerized and not painted.

gunnut1
September 02, 2001, 16:56
HI Jen!

I think this G1 was blued. I just thought the "parkerized" look would be cool. Guess I really don't know what I want to do.

The reason I think this G1 was blued is because the finish under the hand guards on the barrel is a dark,dark almost black, blue and NOT parkierzing. The gas block is the same color. Looks like the top cover and ahnd guards were painted flat black at one time or that is the thickest bluing I have ever seen. I was going to match the receiver color to the barrel and the rest of the gun. Now I might match the gun color to the receiver.

Decisions, decision, decisions!

Eeny, meany, miney, moe! I don't know which way to go! :D