PDA

View Full Version : Going bush for a week (now with pics)

Andy the Aussie
December 03, 2005, 03:22
....to bother Bambi and Porky. Will catch you all next weekend with tales of daring deeds in the outback.

Take care.

Andy:biggrin: :biggrin:

firefuzz
December 03, 2005, 03:27
Wish I was going with you. Take good care.

Rob:beer:

BlackCat
December 03, 2005, 05:30
Don't forget Andy, you're safer NOT doubling up- the two layers of latex only makes friction tear through them both.

Prototype Services
December 03, 2005, 22:17
I thought Kevin left you in charge of the sheep!???:uhoh:
Dave

splattermatic
December 03, 2005, 22:51
i wanna go !!

ftierson
December 04, 2005, 00:11
Originally posted by splattermatic
i wanna go !!

Me too...

Best of luck, Andy.

Forrest

sportsnut
December 04, 2005, 03:31
Good luck Andy. I can't wait to see some pictures!:beer: :beer:

Windustsearch
December 04, 2005, 05:54
Get me some taipan pics, just not too close!

Andy the Aussie
December 11, 2005, 04:51
Got back last night after a 750km drive..sad to say that the hunting was pretty ordinary. Only managed to deck one small hog. Bloody....I mean BLOODY hot, around 115F (so y'all know what I am talking about) in the shade last Wednesday.

Windustsearch I do have some reptile pics but no snakes. Saw some sign of them around the house (probably a King Brown all things considered but I can't be sure) as well as out in the bush.

Back at work in the morning but I will get the pics down sized and posted during the week. A couple of sunrise/sunset pics I snapped with you in mind splatter.

Andy:beer: :beer:

Andy the Aussie
December 11, 2005, 04:52
Originally posted by Prototype Services
I thought Kevin left you in charge of the sheep!???:uhoh:
Dave .......Ithink he has them "in hand" shall we say...... ;)

Only latex on this trip was the gloves I wore on day doing some housework....:p

ftierson
December 11, 2005, 13:52
I'm looking forward to the photos, Andy...

(And, No, I'm not referring to any with latex in them, either...)

Welcome back to the world of work.

:)

Forrest

Snakeshot
December 11, 2005, 20:12
Right mate!

Kill as many bunnies as you can. :devil:
If you have time of course.:rofl:

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:15
Lets start with the sunrises....(as the hunting was pretty dull)...

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:16
another....(this day was about the hottest here in 2005)...

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:17
another...

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:17
last one...

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:18
A sunset for something different...

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:19
Some life around the tank just on sunset.....(they did all hop away unhurt...;) )

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:20
The one (very small) hog that bit the dust (and yeah...lots of dust...!!) ...

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:26
The next few I snapped with Windustsearch in mind.....

This little guy was just sunning himslef on a gate post....and really could not have given atoss about me taking his pic....

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:29
This little guy was on the road just after we got back on the blacktop....

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:30
He (she?) was less than impressed about the attention....

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:31
Only reasonable pic I was able to get of the many Goannas we saw....biggest would have been close to five feet head to tail...

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:35
My accomodation for the week. I know it pales into insignificance when compared to Splatter/the gman/Huntr's "Mobile Gentleman's Club" which I am to understand is complete with spa, sauna, massage parlor and appropriate provisions....

....I don't think I actually made it into the sleeping bag at all.....waaaaaaaaay too bloody hot. The mosquito net was essential to getting a decent night asleep.

Due to the heat we normally went out around 0530 and back to camp by 1000hrs. Back out around 1730 to get in around 2100.

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:37
Packed up and heading home....

Andy the Aussie
December 12, 2005, 01:41
Finally....

If you search back a bit you will note that I was out around the same country in July with the same mate and his son (my Godson)....now we had a mission this trip.....Godson managed to abandon "Bunny" when we left in July......"Bunny" was actually his father's before him so there was some value to him. We were tasked with bring "Bunny" home.

Seems though he was able to entertain himslef in the months we were away....

raeldridge
December 12, 2005, 02:20
thank you for the pictures.

I don' t know...thinking about being in countryside with some of the big honking reptiles you show gives me the shivers.

(Alan, living in Ohio with the random snake or two, but nothing that big!)

splattermatic
December 12, 2005, 06:37
all hail andy,,
all hail andy ,,,

great pics..:bow:

i noticed the leg hold trap...cool design, who makes them? local in oz., or imported from the states ??

and you should be ashamed of yourself doing that to mr bunny. corrupting his poor lil mind..
now what if he goes telling your godson all about what was done to him ??

may scar him for life...;)

glad you were thinking about me with the sunsets and sunrises,, warms my heart, i have touched someone into seeing the beauty..

Windustsearch
December 12, 2005, 09:18
Wow, great pics Andy. Those bearded dragons are very popular lizard pets here in the US. They sell them at most pet stores. The shinglebacks are very popular among the more well-off reptile nerds, they run about a thousand dollars. The reason is that not many made it here before the Australian gov. banned the export of all wildlife. The pairs don't produce alot of young ones so they are still relatively rare. As far as I know none of the goannas made over seas, so they aren't here. Probably not a great pet anyway, might as well get a shirt that says "please never stop biting the crap out of me."

Again, great pics. Looked like a good outing.

ftierson
December 13, 2005, 00:23
I agree, great photos...

Thanks for sharing...

Forrest

Andy the Aussie
December 13, 2005, 00:40
Originally posted by splattermatic
i noticed the leg hold trap...cool design, who makes them? local in oz., or imported from the states ??

and you should be ashamed of yourself doing that to mr bunny. corrupting his poor lil mind..
now what if he goes telling your godson all about what was done to him ??

may scar him for life...;)

glad you were thinking about me with the sunsets and sunrises,, warms my heart, i have touched someone into seeing the beauty.. .....I would guess that trap is 40 or more years old, Aussie made. My mate actually found that one out in the middle of a nowhere still staked down. No longer set though. We are guessing that years ago a warren was in the area and it was lost of forgotten.

As for you touching me....well....as long this is the ONLY way you do so I guess it is OK.... ;)

My Godson (bless his socks) is already corrupted thanks to his father and I, loves the bush and hunting with his dad.

As for Bunny.....he is old enough to make his own decisions....!!

Windustsearch.....I would have seen about $10k worth of those shinglebacks on the drive home....very common out in those parts. The Goannas as you guessed would not make good pets.....the big one I saw scared the bejesus outta me as I was between him and the tree he wanted to be up.....!!!!

Andy:biggrin:

40calgal
December 13, 2005, 00:56
http://www.kclai.com/images/free%20cat.jpg

Andy you forgot this pic of you that you sent me.......ooops how do u add that smilie face thing?:shades:

Andy the Aussie
December 13, 2005, 01:04
It's OK.....I have shaved since that one was taken 40cal..... ;)

shootist87122
December 19, 2005, 22:43
Cool pics! Half the fun is getting to go in the first place.

Andy the Aussie
December 20, 2005, 01:58
Originally posted by shootist87122
Cool pics! Half the fun is getting to go in the first place. .....yeah mate, there does not seem to be enough time to go around for all the work far less the "my time".

Andy:cool:

Da Nerd
January 07, 2006, 06:43
All my life there were two places I wanted to go and spend some time,
Australia and Alaska. Thanks for sharing the pictures
We keep telling our self, "there is always tomorrow."
Well my friends, I am here to tell you that sometimes tomorrow comes too soon.:sad:

Andy the Aussie
January 07, 2006, 16:40
Da Nerd......it is funny to hear people say that they have always wanted to visit Australia.....I was very much like that about the US and was not disappointed. Been over twice (for a total of two months) and will probably be back this year for around six weeks (so Mrs Andy tells me anyway). Alaska is very much on my list but will still be a few years away, Mrs Andy is no as much an outdoor kind as me..... ;)

It did take some for me to realise the spectacular features of my own country. Growing up in the bush with one of the wildest national parks here as my playground I guess I became vey apethetic about it. Once I took a few foreign friends to some places that to me where just "scrub" I then realised just how great it actually was.

I have been fortunate to travel around the eastern 2/3rds of this country and have a few regular places (like the one in these pics) I visit. I only wish I had the interest in (very amature) photography when I was younger that I do now. Some places I wont get back to that I would love to have a record of, some friends I no longer have to share travel with as well.

If you look bak in Fal Images to July/august this year there are a couple of other threads of mine.

All the best.

Andy :biggrin:

Temp
January 07, 2006, 22:14
I attempted to "go bush" shortly after my divorce.

Sad to say, I was very chagrined to learn that since I had made my vows back in '78, women had been lured into the trap of the triple bladed razor.

I soon discovered that one didn't know what he would find when the panties hit the floor. Occasionally, I would encounter "the worm",... a thin strip of fur which began at the booger and extended upwards toward the navel. Other times I would be surprised to find a neatly formed triangle positioned neatly above the implement of interest.

But more often than not, I'd happen upon a fully mature woman peeled bald as a monkey's ass,.... bringing to mind those "doctor games" of yore which transpired down at the creek below the bridge back when I was 10 or 11 or so.

To make matters worse,... some of those bald bottomed women would douse their nether regions with a sizable dollop of Johnson's baby powder,.... which, combined with their bald boogers, brought out in me a reluctance to engage their affections because on the implications concerning pedophilia.

So, I'm here today to implore you girls,... throw the razor in the trash,...sluff off those inhibitions pertaining to primitivism.

If the man is "real",... he's going to accept you,... wooly butt and all.

If he doesn't, he's probably a girly man,.... and isn't worth bothering with.

Fly that bush proudly! Real men appreciate it.

Andy the Aussie
January 07, 2006, 22:37
Temp sometiems you are *wrong* on soooo many levels....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :p

Temp
January 07, 2006, 22:39
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
Temp sometiems you are *wrong* on soooo many levels....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :p

lol,... but I'm good at it,.... so it's OK,....

Da Nerd
January 07, 2006, 23:14
Originally posted by Temp

Sad to say, I was very chagrined to learn that since I had made my vows back in '78, women had been lured into the trap of the triple bladed razor.

I soon discovered that one didn't know what he would find when the panties hit the floor. Occasionally, I would encounter "the worm",... a thin strip of fur which began at the booger and extended upwards toward the navel. Other times I would be surprised to find a neatly formed triangle positioned neatly above the implement of interest.

But more often than not, I'd happen upon a fully mature woman peeled bald as a monkey's ass,.... bringing to mind those "doctor games" of yore which transpired down at the creek below the bridge back when I was 10 or 11 or so.

To make matters worse,... some of those bald bottomed women would douse their nether regions with a sizable dollop of Johnson's baby powder,.... which, combined with their bald boogers, brought out in me a reluctance to engage their affections because on the implications concerning pedophilia.

So, I'm here today to implore you girls,... throw the razor in the trash,...sluff off those inhibitions pertaining to primitivism.

It is rare when I agree with TEMP, but you got it right his time.:biggrin:

762 shooter
January 08, 2006, 23:28

Oh, God, Can't...... Breathe.... Must laugh.

Regal Beagal
January 09, 2006, 08:19
Andy,

Sweet Pics! Like many others here, One of these days I'll make it to the land down under. If the bush in Australia is anything like West Texas I'll feel right at home. Of course, like the "bush" here in many of our states, they all have their pit falls, scrub, traps, briars and patches:rofl:

Anyway, happened to notice the Toyota Land Cruiser in one of the pics. Are you folks partial to Toyotas for trapesen(sp) around in the bush? I currently have an '89 Toyota extended cab 4x4 truck that has a 170,000 miles on it and is still kickin' dust. That's 170,000 miles of road, trails, haulin' and mountain climbing. I'm sure you folks are probably sporting desiel motors instead of petrol motors. Man, I wish Toyota would bring in more of the desiel versions into the states.

Also, what piece of hardware did you tote into the bush? I recognized right off that it wasn't an FAL. Whatever it is, it looks like a formidable piece of weaponry for taken care of them hawgs.

Once Again, Thanks for the pics! Their Great!

Andy the Aussie
January 10, 2006, 01:58
Thanks for the compliments mate, I generally take several hundred pics on a two week trip (thank the lord for digital camers) and then work through them here at home to pick the best ones out. There are all kinds of throns burrs prickly things and such out there (I am still in fact digging the nastys out of my legs and fingers from a month ago..!!).

Toyotas pretty much rules teh 4X4 scene down here (the Nissan folks will probably whine). Diesel is allthe rage mate.....so much so I have only owned four cars in my life and all were white diesel Landcrusiers..... ;) That one is a 93 with 240,000 kms on it. No problems at all since I have owned it (1997 and 65,000 kms).

That rifle is a Sako AII action I bought off a professional 'roo shooter a few years ago now. It has a new Tobler barrel (in .308) and a McMillian stock. It also sports a Leupold 2.5-8 (thanks Bigant) in Leupold rings. Neat rifle that shoots in one hole at 100yds.

Right about 10 years ago I would have been decking hags on the same property with my L1A1...sad but it is long gone now.

Andy :beer:

Regal Beagal
January 10, 2006, 19:53
Andy,

Yep it's hard to beat a Toyota. I have a friend of mine who is a professional 4x4 driver. He has driven in some of the most aggressive off road races. He had a Pinzgauer specially built and rigged for a race in Croatia that lasted a whole week. He ended up trying a little to hard half way through the race by taking what he thought was a pretty calculated risk and winched up a major incline. The winch gave way and he roled the Pinzgauer about 20 times crushing his ankle. Anyway, first and second place were taken by desiel Toyota 4x4 trucks. Third place was taken by a Unimog.

Another good piece of equipment. I haven't ever owned a Sako but have shot them. The tricks you did to it makes it a perfect rifle for extreme hunting which the bush ranks pretty extreme.

Man, sorry about my feeble little mind. Believe me, I wasn't trying to drudge up the past with my FAL comment.:( Just for that I cordially invite you to a Files shoot the next time you're in the states. Man, what a blunder... Can you say...OOOOOOP!!!!

Andy the Aussie
January 11, 2006, 01:17
Tha's Ok mate.....10 years on and the stng is going out of it....I was pretty pissed off about it all in 96 though..... ;)

I will be keen to renew my SLR relationships next time I am in the US....Mrs Andy will need to very understanding I think...... :biggrin:

Last time I was over I had a drive of a Toyota Tundra and was pretty impressed.....they don't import the big pickups out here (although if the Ford F250 sales keep going up they may well do so). The new 105 series has a V8 donk or a turbo diesel donk (in the luxury models). The standard models (like my poverty pack) come with either a 4.2 6 cyl or a 4.2 natural diesel.

Andy:beer:

skfullgun
January 11, 2006, 21:04
Thanks for the awesome pics. Maybe we need to schedule a hunt down "south"!