PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife experts? need scat ID assist

Snakeshot
November 27, 2005, 18:16
Found this on my lawn this morning.

Bigger than any of the many coyote droppings I have seen around here, contains tiny bone frgments and fur.

Mountain Lions are established in this area, could it be? And on my lawn, no less?

Windustsearch
November 27, 2005, 18:22
How does it taste?

Yup, looks like either a cougar or feral dog. If you see beetle shells and other bug parts, it is more likely a dog.

Snakeshot
November 27, 2005, 18:28
Tastes great, less filling.:wink:

Nothing but darkness, tiny bone frags and fur. No bugs, seeds or anything else. I know coyote, and it does not look like this.

Firestarter
November 27, 2005, 18:34
I am so very sorry!

I was on a drunk the other night.

I tried to stumble home when mother nature came-a-calling!

Your yard was the lucky recipient! If you walk about ten yards from where the pinched off part is pointing to, you will find a smear where I wiped my ass on your yard.

Thanks for not waking up and shooting me!

I can't explain the fur or bone fragments as I can't remember much else about that night.

Was there a full moon?

Windustsearch
November 27, 2005, 18:37
Baring Firestarters admital I'd vote cougar.

'TUDE
November 27, 2005, 18:42
Coyote, fox, and wolf will tend to be a thick cord with a single pointed end, and may look twisted. Also as you may well know, coyote/wolf/fox will defecate in a clear spot like a road or the middle of a trail rather than in grass if available.

Mountain Lion and bobcat tend to have broken or segmented cords with both ends pointed. Mountain Lion and bobcat sometimes will scratch near a scat and may cover or partially cover their scat with dirt/grass. Cats aren't particular where they go, as long as they are marking territory.

Looks more like a big cat to me. Is scratching evident at the scat sight?

Then again, without a closer look, it may be a dog.

Jon Frum
November 27, 2005, 18:43
Bear?

Snakeshot
November 27, 2005, 18:50
Falt,
I'm aware of the properties and differences between dog and cat scat, this really looks like cat. There's coyote crap everywhere around here, not the same. There are zero feral dogs in this area (well at least not for long). None of the scratches, etc., but it's next to a rail fence and asphalt.

I'm hoping for a verification or refutal from someone who is positive.

Firestarter, if you're eating my ground squirrels and rabbits, you can crap wherever the hell you want.:rofl:

Firestarter
November 27, 2005, 18:55
Just did a search on the various turds of the animal kingdom. Why is beyond me!

You may well have a cougar turd there!

As described they are doglike in appearance but like a larger dog and usually contains much hair, alot of which is from the cats grooming behaviour.

They (who are they anyway?) can check it with DNA and even have poop identifying dogs now if you care to take it to that level!

Anyway it appears that it was not your yard that I found much relief!

I stand exonerated!!! :biggrin:

Snakeshot
November 27, 2005, 18:56
Originally posted by WILD BILL
Bear?

Definitely not bears.
There are plenty of bears around here and they leave big steaming piles of whatever opportunity they can find. Always contain seeds, other plant materials and usually some foil and plastic as well. And bears don't "pinch" one, so to speak.

'TUDE
November 27, 2005, 18:56
Snake, wish I could have been more helpful. Kinda hard to tell without being there.

WILD BILL, don't you know where bears do it?
http://apple2.org.za/gswv/me/Graphics/Personal.PICS/Personal.Graphics.Collection/BEAR.IN..WOODS.JPG

hagar
November 27, 2005, 19:01
Bobcat would be my guess. They don't eat berries or fruits, so only hair and no seeds should be found. Mountain lion tends to have chalky whitish scat.

Da Nerd
November 27, 2005, 19:02
If it has bells and whistles in it,, it is grizzly bear
If it has acorns and berries, it is black bear..

Snakeshot
November 27, 2005, 19:25
Originally posted by hagar
Bobcat would be my guess. They don't eat berries or fruits, so only hair and no seeds should be found. Mountain lion tends to have chalky whitish scat.

That sounds good, but a BIG bobcat, no?
The one's I recall seeing elsewhere were too small to produce a loaf that big.
Though I have seen clear and large bobcat tracks around here, maybe 2" diameter..

Temp
November 27, 2005, 21:01
Dunno man,...... I claim no expertise regarding the particular origin of turds.

For all I know, it coulda dropped outta Willy the wino,...

Snakeshot
November 27, 2005, 21:07
Originally posted by Da Nerd
If it has bells and whistles in it,, it is grizzly bear
If it has acorns and berries, it is black bear..

But what if it smells like red pepper spray?

gunseller
November 30, 2005, 11:34
Come guys you all know what it is. Let us admit it. IT WAS BIGFOOT. Good thing I had finished my link sausage before I looked at this picture. Without being there to see it first hand I would go with a cat-a-mount. That be cougar for you flat landers.
Gunseller

ALBPM
November 30, 2005, 13:51
It was Vince!!!!

After he discovered his wife was trying to kill him last week he packed up a big bag of Prairie Dog Gyros and was last seen driving west on I-40.

owlcreekok
November 30, 2005, 16:49
I wish I had a definitive post to make, but I don't. All I can be sure of is it really looks like a dog's work. Okay Okay, get down scientific about what dogs eat. I will call BS if not careful. I have watched dogs eat all kinds of stuff. To include a pile or two of THAT stuff. I MEAN a pile or two at a time. Dog's digestive systems are pretty rank mechanisms. I ain't referring to those little pansy assed dogs that eat nuthin' but Iams and get ther freaking nails "done" every month or so. I am talking about dogs that do what dogs are SUPPOSED to do. Live outside, eat shit, grass, rabbits, lick each others asses, bark at anything that moves, *CENSORED* anything that will let it. THAT kind of dog is liable to lay a pile of some wierd lookin' yard apples.

Proves but one thing to me.

This bunch a gourdheads we call friends on the Files don't know shit !

:rofl:

Muggzy
November 30, 2005, 17:04
snakeshot.....i sure hope your neighbor didn't see you out there on your hands and knees taking pictures of a turd. If they start acting aloof....then you been watched:rofl:

Snakeshot
November 30, 2005, 19:23
Originally posted by Muggzy
snakeshot.....i sure hope your neighbor didn't see you out there on your hands and knees taking pictures of a turd. If they start acting aloof....then you been watched:rofl:

My neighbors love me because I have guns and deal with all of the critter issues around here. Rattlers, ground squirrels, rabbits, coyotes, whatever. When we had the bear problem last summer I took care of getting state wildlife out here with a trap (though they were later caught near here).

If they saw me shooting a turd with my digital, they'd be wondering what I was wondering as well. And I'm sure they ALREADY think I'm strange.;)

Owlcreek, it is a cat.

owlcreekok
November 30, 2005, 19:29
Owlcreek, it is a cat.

Okay. I believe ya. In all seriousness, it LOOKED like a dog pile from the pic, to me. I haven't had the experience of looking at much wildcat scat. Plenty of house cat stuff here and there. Bobcats are scarce here. Scarce everywhere I have lived, but around. IF you look close.

Snakeshot
November 30, 2005, 19:33
Originally posted by owlcreekok

Okay. I believe ya. In all seriousness, it LOOKED like a dog pile from the pic, to me. I haven't had the experience of looking at much wildcat scat. Plenty of house cat stuff here and there. Bobcats are scarce here. Scarce everywhere I have lived, but around. IF you look close.

Owl, I tried to post a higher rez pic, but the 'files made me keep shrinking it until the piece of shit that I ended up posting.:p

owlcreekok
November 30, 2005, 20:03
I agonized over that a long time snake. Finally Vince and Gunga Din got it thru my thick skull to use photobucket. Kinda hinky to use at first, but works pretty good. Photobucket resizes automatically to sumpin like 500k or some such. Heckuva lot bigger than 20k allowed here.

FWIW

Treborer
November 30, 2005, 20:15
I'd say Cat, the lack of leaves berries and debris leaves out dog, bear.

The cats do usually taper turd with hair, but if it was nervous may have just clipped em off. Kinda like Thanksgiving Day with grandkids banging on the Shxxthouse door, snap em off and move on.

The dark color indicates a bloody feed or a Bigfoot eating a two-course of meat and Popeye Spinich....

:D

Cougars and coyotes will attack small children.

;)

Snakeshot
November 30, 2005, 21:05
Let's see if i can 't make me a red X:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c393/snakeshot/?action=view&current=scat3.jpg

Aw well, link is gonna hafta do for now, spent all day staring at CRTs, must shift mode.:beer:

owlcreekok
November 30, 2005, 21:25
Worked good man.

IIRC ya got three little choice deals to use to post your pics from fotobukket. If ya copy and paste the one that has the [img] thingy, the pic will paint up when we open the thread. I am guessing you used the [url] one. I think I guessed right the first time I did it with the img one. Hell, even a blind squirrel finds (or is it "gets") a nut once't in a while !

:whiskey:

Windustsearch
November 30, 2005, 22:57
Snakeshots poop.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/snakeshot/scat3.jpg

Stranger
December 01, 2005, 13:12
Looks like dog shit to me.

There are lots of semi-ferral dogs around our place and they like to shit on my road.

Windustsearch
December 01, 2005, 17:47
Control photo.

Dog shit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Windustsearch/dogshit002.jpg

Snakeshot
December 01, 2005, 19:58
Originally posted by Stranger
Looks like dog shit to me.

There are lots of semi-ferral dogs around our place and they like to shit on my road.

There are ZERO feral dogs around here.

The coyotes do their gang dance on any other canine that roams free in this area. And the ones the coyotes miss, the ranchers shoot on sight.

Like I said earlier, that IS cat shit.

Windustsearch
December 02, 2005, 09:24
Snakeshot, I have seen cougar crap right next to the tracks, and that is pretty much exactly what it looks like. Generally it is larger than most dog poo. It will be chalky white like mentioned earlier if the cat has gone hungry, the white stuff is calcium and urea.

I have also seen it on a large mule deer that was seemingly "impossibly" stuffed into a 3-4 inch rock crevice. That was my cue to get the hell out of it's AO.

izaakb
December 02, 2005, 10:24
This thread reminds me of a Cheech and Chong skit...

I never in my life thought I would see a serious poo discussion on FalFiles.

HEY!! THAT'S MR HANKEY!!

Snakeshot
December 02, 2005, 19:18
Originally posted by Windustsearch
Snakeshot, I have seen cougar crap right next to the tracks, and that is pretty much exactly what it looks like. Generally it is larger than most dog poo. It will be chalky white like mentioned earlier if the cat has gone hungry, the white stuff is calcium and urea.

I have also seen it on a large mule deer that was seemingly "impossibly" stuffed into a 3-4 inch rock crevice. That was my cue to get the hell out of it's AO.

You've got me rethinking the bobcat thing. Just looks a little too large.

When I first moved here, 6 months ago, I saw scat like that on top of clumps of mule deer hair about a 1/4 mile up behind the house on the old road. I knew EXACTLY what it was and it spooked me big time.

Windustsearch
December 02, 2005, 22:29
I am thinking that bobcat shit would not be anywhere near that size. I mean, I can fill it to the brim once in awhile, but that is a BIG pile. Prolly the same critter pinched it as the last one you saw.

Snakeshot
December 04, 2005, 17:50
Well, there is no doubt in my mind now.

Today I did my usual Sunday afternoon hike on the old road up behind the house. At about 1/2 mile, I saw fresh tracks in a remaining patch of snow, 3" long and retracted claws. At one mile saw VERY fresh scat squarely on top of a fresh scrape; definitely since Thursday morning's snow and showing no sign of dessication. Appeared to be from today, same as the pic only more recent (and not on my lawn).

Sorry, no pics.
Didn't want the headline to read "Camera found, hiker missing". I walked back quickly, walking stick in left hand high over shoulder and right hand on .45 in holster.:uhoh:

FP1201
December 04, 2005, 19:25
I wondered how long it would take for someone to say it was "Bigfoot" sh!t. :tongue:

Snakeshot: I don't know where you're located, but one of the guys I work with shot a 52 pound bobcat about three weeks ago and his neighbor bagged one in the same area that was almost as big, so the idea of the poo being feline is certainly valid. :uhoh:

Snakeshot
December 04, 2005, 19:42
FP,
I'm certain it's feline, no question there.

Ask your buddies what the front to back length was on the bobcat paws, if you don't mind. Feel free to email or post here. 52# is a damn big bobcat!

I am in western Nevada, up on the east side of the Carson Range.

Snakeshot
December 04, 2005, 21:02
Originally posted by izaakb
This thread reminds me of a Cheech and Chong skit...

I never in my life thought I would see a serious poo discussion on FalFiles.

HEY!! THAT'S MR HANKEY!!

poo is a city boy term.:rofl: :rolleyes: :beer:

homelandprotector
December 05, 2005, 12:57
Check this out John, > http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/MountainLions/Evidence.htm

And here > http://www.ndow.org/wild/animals/facts/mountain_lion.shtm

BTW, lets get our Elk tags > http://www.ndow.org/hunt/

RT
December 05, 2005, 13:51
Rare find :D sell it on ebay:rofl: if you can sell toast you can sell scat. LOL........ scat for sale no reserve $50.00 starting bid, some dip shit will buy it Ha ha ha . Good luck~R:whiskey:

Muggzy
December 05, 2005, 14:07
man...I gotta tell ya....when this adventure is all over with. I'm gonna be able to tell everyone I know "that Snakeshot really knows his shit!!":biggrin:

Snakeshot
December 05, 2005, 21:06
As a South Park fan, I consider Mr Hanky a most friendly turd!:rofl:

And Muggzy, I have always made it a business to know my shit, literally!:rofl: :beer:

Treborer
December 19, 2005, 20:36
That control photo is a good shot.

That "Yeller Dogsxxt" is the worst thang to step in barefoot!

Sounds like ya got your shxt together:tongue:

Snakeshot
December 19, 2005, 21:28
He's out there, young male, well fed. The most dangerous kind.

At this point I don't think he'll f*#k with me. Enough Mulies around.
Nonetheless, I walk with a .45 auto and a big stick.
Lord give me the awareness and strength to make them useful should it be necessary!

I hope to peacefully co-exist.:wink:

Treborer
December 20, 2005, 21:13
Pistol should be last resort, how bout a 12 guage with slugs .:)

Snakeshot
December 20, 2005, 21:46
Originally posted by Treborer
Pistol should be last resort, how bout a 12 guage with slugs .:)

Very good question.
My bed gun is a Remington 870 wearing a 20" rifle sight barrel w/ +2ext.
Usual load is 00, might be perfect for big cats, and easier to bring to bear as I'm already holding it.
Thanks for the food for thought!

Chip
December 22, 2005, 01:24
Quoted by owlcreekok

Proves but one thing to me.

This bunch a gourdheads we call friends on the Files don't know shit !

No Shit!!!

:rofl: [/B][/QUOTE]|

:rofl: :biggrin: :rolleyes: :tongue:

Treborer
January 04, 2006, 20:40
Amen.

Pictures are not reality.

In the 1990's we had a Turd in a Suit for president!!

I call for DNA testing....

:biggrin:

Snakeshot
January 04, 2006, 21:24
Hehe, I took this pic when I was on a hike a few miles from here on Christmas Eve.

The track is not fresh, maybe 2-3 days old and in melting snow (knife is 3" closed). But it is VERY real.:eek:

Windustsearch
January 04, 2006, 21:35
mmm hmmm, no doubt a cougar, probably a young male looking to establish some new territory.

Snakeshot
January 04, 2006, 21:52
mmm hmmm, no doubt a cougar, probably a young male looking to establish some new territory.

Most likely correct, though the honest spread on that one is pushing full adult (+/-4"). Could be adult female.

With all the snow around here it may be tough to get a good print spread on our local guy. I will report back when I see something new.

Snakeshot
January 04, 2006, 22:01
OK, here's another.
I took this pic last June in damp creek bank soil about 6 miles from here.
It is a full 4-1/2" across, very adult.

Stranger
January 05, 2006, 14:33
Control photo.

Dog shit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Windustsearch/dogshit002.jpg

I don't know what that dog has been eating, but it doesn't look anything like the shit the dogs produce out here.

Do we know if it is fresh shit, or week old shit?