PDA

View Full Version : identify the mystery animal sound!

raeldridge
November 23, 2005, 22:55
this is really starting to bug me.

july, august or so, on my dad's property in eastern Ky, just right at twilight. dad and I were sitting on front porch and we heard this...sound. sort of like an animal (not a bird calling) that was like a cry or a snort. (yeah, I know that's a crappy description. but wait, there's more)

dad said he had heard it the previous couple of nights, about the same time. and a couple of times after this particular night. since then, nothing.

whatever was making the sound was about three, four hundred yards away. of course with the trees, terrain and gathering darkness, we had no way of seeing what it was.

the animal making the sound went down a hillside, crossed the dirt road and then back up another and went up over the top of that one as it faded out. this was over the space of a minute or so.

again, this location is eastern Ky, just about halfway in a straight line from Ashland to Lexington.

I started looking around the internet, and found, to my surprise, this:

http://www.ferris.edu/card/multimedia/nitesound.htm

I only heard the sound one night, but it sure sounds like it. my dad listened to it on my laptop, he thinks that's it.

and we still have no clue what it is.

I'm no Dan'l Boone, but I've heard my share of deer snorting, squirrels cussing and other various outdoor critters. dad has heard a lot more, he has no idea what this is.

one of my friends at work swears this is one of the great owls, but I dunno. it really didn't sound like a bird call at all, there was a lot more bass to it than I thought a bird could make. and why would an owl be making all this noise?

the kicker is, I have talked and traded email with the gentleman at this wildlife center where they have this sound file posted. over the last couple of years, he had not received a definitive answer at all as to what made the sound.

he's still leaning toward a deer in panic, it's snorting to clear its nostrils to catch scent. oh, yeah, he is very much an expert on birds, and doesn't think it's an owl at all.

so here's the chance for the FAL files to assert their expert (or expert wanna-be) status on this.

(oh yeah, you Bigfoot folks, that's already been floated as a hypothesis)

ideas, anyone? I anxiously await educated guesses, SWAG and any other commentary.

Da Nerd
November 23, 2005, 23:10
I would say a cat of some sort.. bob-cat or mtn lion.

homelandprotector
November 23, 2005, 23:41
Yeah not an owl, but sure sounds like a game bird of some kind. maybe pheasant or grouse. (sure sounds like a pheasant)

Since it was not totaly dark when you heard it, it is possible that it was a game bird.

Jon Frum
November 24, 2005, 00:38
I hear wierd stuff in the woods all the time.

Survey Punk
November 24, 2005, 04:25
How far from Winchester? Could be some of my forebearers out for a "walk".

JB

Windustsearch
November 24, 2005, 05:26
Thats a bird of some kind.

Vulcan
November 24, 2005, 06:29
Many parrots make similar sounds, I have also heard crows make similar sounds. Not saying its a parrot, just that birds are quite capable of making that sound an some can be very loud.

I have a Congo Grey parrot.....I hope the little varmint doesnt start repeating that racket after hearing it.

SKS45
November 24, 2005, 08:18
I'm no woodsman by a long shot but did stay at a Holiday Inn last week. So in my uneducated guess I would have to say it sounds like a bird call to me as well. The first thing I thought of was a crow as Vulcan said. On the other hand, it could also have been a vampire who was sneaking up on you from behind and that was his breathing you were hearing. You haven't noticed a strange repulsion to garlic since then have you? Hope you have a good thanksgiving and let us know what it is if you ever identify it.

Brett

hagar
November 24, 2005, 08:50
You guys have it all wrong. It's a grey fox.

Deltaten
November 24, 2005, 11:52
I dunno...possibly one of the larger nocturnal birds of prey??
I heard one that was similar several years ago. Similar, but even MORE nasty sounding; a horrible shreik. Loud and blood-curdling. Late at nite, out in the boonies of S. Lancaster Co. farmland. Went to investigate, but never found it.
Turns out it was the nearest farmer's Peacock, out for a nite-walkabout. He said the bugger gets out and wanders the hills and dales challenging all comers! A gawd-awful noise, to say the least. Higher-pitched, longer and louder,but the same timber and gravel-y-ness as you sample.

curious, tho,
Paul

ouchie
November 24, 2005, 12:28
Deltaten,
It's funny you mentioned that as a peacock was my first thought when I heard the file....it's not exactly as I remember but it's been several years since I heard one.

Blood of Tyrants
November 24, 2005, 12:34
I have heard one of those just once. It's a cattywhompus!

jrkoller
November 24, 2005, 12:49
I have heard the same sound up here in Wis. on my property I would say a Bob Cat, Lynx, or Mtn Lion they are scarc but are here and have been seen.
Joe

ggiilliiee
November 24, 2005, 12:57
sounds like mamma porky calling to young to me... porky -u- pine.....that is.... or an escaped tasmanian devil or possibly a yetti

raeldridge
November 24, 2005, 14:30
How far from Winchester? Could be some of my forebearers out for a "walk".

this is a couple of miles east of Morehead, and just a couple miles south of I-64.

and I'm *not* ruling out the possibility of any Bigfoots tramping around in here.

well, thanks guys, I am willing to suffer some good natured ribbing and heckling over this. glad to bring a little humour into your otherwise dull and dreary lives. //laughing//

hearing it, I'm still inclined to rule out any bird. I've heard peacocks and their caterwauling, this ain't it. and I've heard a couple of hawks and owls before, the sound just seemed "bigger" than what one of them could put out.

also when I called the wildlife center, I talked to one of the lead guys there. he is *very* familiar about birds. he says this isn't one, so I'm inclined to take him at his word.

my initial thought also was bobcat, lynx, mt. lion (or local equiv.) or something of the like. of course, wtf would some predator be traipsing around making a noise like that unless it's either ticked off, or wanting to attract attention? neither of which would make a very successful hunting strategy if you want to be a well-fed predator.

and I've heard whitetail deer make a variety of huffing, puffing and other noises. this ain't anything I've ever heard a deer sound like.

so what could we have running around the hills here in eastern Ky, that is also common to north MI? (and Wisconsin)

looks like it's still a mystery!

hagar
November 27, 2005, 11:37
When the wildlife guy tells you that it is a grey fox, at least let the rest of the world know what a grey fox sounds like. The first one I called in, barked like a 500 pound animal and scared the beheezus out of me and my calling partner. At least we got a look at it and was amazed that such a small animal has such a large vocal presentation. I could not find a good sound on the net, but this should give you an idea: http://www.vulpes.org/foxden/sounds/typical-fox-yell.wav

dillhole
November 27, 2005, 12:07
i have to side with hagar on this both recordings sound real similar to me

Treborer
December 04, 2005, 20:08
Young Owl,or constipated Hippie hippie chick .:biggrin:

Story
December 05, 2005, 20:45
Wendigo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129332/plotsummary

dougjones31
December 06, 2005, 14:29
No way Hagar. That is not a fox. It is a bird. If you listen to the two recordings you can tell that the unkown sound lacks the clear startup and doglike yep qualities. The unknown sound has the distinct "Crawness"/scratchiness of a bird.

It damned sure ain't a deer!

It is a Kentucky Turkey Buzzard defending it's nest from a Possum.........although Owls make some weird noises! It could be an owl.

Da Nerd
December 06, 2005, 23:11
CAUGHT AT LAST

zallen
December 07, 2005, 09:07
I tend to say fox, although it is strikingly similar to Hillary Clinton.

Windustsearch
December 07, 2005, 09:07
Sounds like a jay to me.

Da Nerd
December 07, 2005, 15:57
Mystery solved..A Gnome fart....

divechief
December 07, 2005, 22:57
Down here in Florida, the Great Blue Heron sounds a lot like that when startled at night. But they have a little more bass than that first audio clip.

Gunpacker
December 12, 2005, 13:21
Sounds kinda like a Sandhill Crane to me.

bausch
December 12, 2005, 13:47
Sounds like the god awful screech a great big possum made when my Rottie grabbed him after laying him down and finding he was just playing possum. Of couse that was a death scream but it sure sounds like it.

SpentBrass
December 19, 2005, 10:34
Originally posted by raeldridge

july, august or so, on my dad's property in eastern Ky, just right at twilight. dad and I were sitting on front porch and we heard this...sound. sort of like an animal (not a bird calling) that was like a cry or a snort. (yeah, I know that's a crappy description. but wait, there's more)

dad said he had heard it the previous couple of nights, about the same time. and a couple of times after this particular night. since then, nothing.

whatever was making the sound was about three, four hundred yards away. of course with the trees, terrain and gathering darkness, we had no way of seeing what it was.

the animal making the sound went down a hillside, crossed the dirt road and then back up another and went up over the top of that one as it faded out. this was over the space of a minute or so.

again, this location is eastern Ky, just about halfway in a straight line from Ashland to Lexington.

I only heard the sound one night, but it sure sounds like it. my dad listened to it on my laptop, he thinks that's it.

I'm no Dan'l Boone, but I've heard my share of deer snorting, squirrels cussing and other various outdoor critters. dad has heard a lot more, he has no idea what this is.

one of my friends at work swears this is one of the great owls, but I dunno. it really didn't sound like a bird call at all, there was a lot more bass to it than I thought a bird could make. and why would an owl be making all this noise?

the kicker is, I have talked and traded email with the gentleman at this wildlife center where they have this sound file posted. over the last couple of years, he had not received a definitive answer at all as to what made the sound.

he's still leaning toward a deer in panic, it's snorting to clear its nostrils to catch scent. oh, yeah, he is very much an expert on birds, and doesn't think it's an owl at all.

so here's the chance for the FAL files to assert their expert (or expert wanna-be) status on this.

ideas, anyone? I anxiously await educated guesses, SWAG and any other commentary. :beer: :beer:

SpentBrass
December 19, 2005, 10:43
Originally posted by raeldridge

ideas, anyone? I anxiously await educated guesses, SWAG and any other commentary.

I'm pretty sure that is a heron, there are several species and they all sound a little different. The most convincing to me is the fact that it was at twilight.. You never heard it late at night , right? They are real active at twilight . If there is nearby water, that would convince me.
Keep your eyes open at dusk and you will often see them flying by.
Good luck!

Chip
December 22, 2005, 01:11
It may be some kind of bird. If you listen closely to audio clip there seems be a sound every so often of flapping wings. I go the heron or some sort of crain.