PDA

View Full Version : Bayonet: ID and value of Belgian type "A" FAL bayonet?

mojo_matic
November 03, 2005, 18:45
Can anyone give a rough estimate as to the value of an FAL type "A" bayonet with scabbard? What is the premium for a British Experimental type "A" over a stardard type "A"?

I recently purchased a "1953 Beglium 762 bayonet" with scabbard. It was shipped from the UK. The rivots resemble those on the British Trials example that was posted in another thread...if that matters?

It is brand new unissued...still has the thick grease on blade in scabbard. I cannot put "hands on" until I go home on leave and inspect the scabbard for X1 marking.

I ended up paying over a C-note for it with some reservations...kind of an impulse bid. Would like to think that I did alright?

:beer:

Here is a pic:

lew
November 03, 2005, 19:31
The word is "scabbard", by the way. Carry on.

mojo_matic
November 03, 2005, 20:15
thanx lew :beer: mind was slightly elsewhere. :rolleyes:

NZ L1A1 Collector
November 04, 2005, 03:17
I have seen big prices asked for the TYPE A British trials rifle bayonets. Personally I don't think they are worth what some people ask for them, mine only cost me $50. Unfortunitly a lot of people claim the bayonet they are selling is a British experimental/trials rifle model....... generally they are incorrect and it's just a standard TYPE A bayonet.

The British trial rifle bayonet is marked with X2 E1 and a serial number on the underside of the grips. This is stamped onto the bayonet.

Also the correct scabbard has X1 E1 stamped on the top of the mouth-piece. Check out the pics.

X2E1 bayonet stamping

NZ L1A1 Collector
November 04, 2005, 03:20
Now if your bayonet dosen't have both these markings then it's not correct.

mouth-piece stamping

mojo_matic
November 04, 2005, 09:30
NZ,

The seller never claimed that the bayonet was a trials example. When I bought the bayonet, this never crossed my mind either...all the early bayonets that I have encountered were a little "rough." The nicer examples accompanied a rediculous price tag (which I have yet to see actually sell). I bought the bayonet becuase it was in nice condition, and just "wanted one." ;) Even if I piad too much for it, I will happy with it!

The fact that it came from the UK makes me wonder if I may have been lucky enough to pick up one of the experimental variations...which would be a bonus.

I read somewhere that the experimental bayonets have a black finish on the blade, opposed to the grey park on the standard issue?

NZ L1A1 Collector
November 04, 2005, 17:08
The X2 E1 I have is painted black, If it has a grey park finish then it will be an export order TYPE A bayonet.

Very tidy TYPE A bayonet do fetch a good price. What's important is your happy with what you got. :smile:

mojo_matic
November 05, 2005, 09:38
NZ,

I just received an email back from the seller. He recalls that the bayonet has an "X2" marked on it. :)

EMDII
November 14, 2005, 11:17
Where?
Pics?

mojo_matic
November 14, 2005, 12:58
pix here:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158066

:beer: