PDA

View Full Version : K31 for $89 - Is this good deal?

spatin
October 23, 2005, 22:42
I am still interested in a K31. I like Swiss watches so Swiss guns ought to be pretty good too.
I saw Classic Arms has some for $89.00. Is this for real? Are they selling reasonable quality K31 rifles for just $89.00?
Has anyone here actually bought one of these and what do you think about it?
Did it shoot OK as received or can I expect to have to get it fixed to make it work?
Is anyone on the files a K31 afficianado and can I bug you with a few questions on PM?
Sidney

Temp
October 23, 2005, 22:53
I'm no expert but here's what I do know.

They're very fine rifles with outstanding metalwork,.. real precision stuff. They're not, however, the most ergonomic rifle that you'll ever shoulder,... thick in the wrist and their length of pull is a bit on the short side. They have very good sights for a military rifle and the trigger pull is the best that I've ever felt on any military rifle.

Most of them have birch stocks although walnut isn't extremely rare. Unless you get very lucky, the buttstock is going to be dinged up pretty good.

Brass is available from Graf & Sons at reasonable prices and they utilize standard .308 diameter bullets. Surplus ammo is available, but it's a little on the pricey side.

They're very accurate,... they're a steal at $89.

Buy it.

Here's mine

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151218

DYNOMIKE
October 23, 2005, 22:56
$90.00-$100.00 is the going rate for these kick ass rifles.
You may get more info in another forum?
Like maybe "General Firearms", or C&R?
These really are great rifles though. If ya got the coin I would highly recommend one..

spatin
October 23, 2005, 23:00
Sorry about putting this in the wrong forum. If the moderator is reading this, please move this to the general firearms discussion.

Temp, thanks for your response. Are there any manuals available in English?
Also, is there anything wierd about reloading their cartridges, like special primers or something?

Sidney

izaakb
October 23, 2005, 23:02
They are very fun. Ammo may be a problem in the future, so buy a few cases.

Very accurate guns and very accurate, match-quality ammo. Fun to shoot.

I have two, one was in excellent condition and one was ugly (which means it looked pretty good, the Swiss did a good job with these). I had the ugly one refinished and kept the other original. My shooter is the formerly-ugly now-refinished one. I get lots of comments on it. Both shoot inside of 2 moa when my DT isn't acting up.. :D

hedp
October 23, 2005, 23:03
I'm a K31 newbie but they are definitely cool. Got my first a couple weeks back, an AIM $99 job with a beech stock, 1950 manufacture. Probably go ahead and expect to refinish the stock unless you like ugly, but that's no biggie. Mine is stripped waiting for finding some shellac as I type.

The Swiss GP11 surplus ammo is considered match grade and is all non corrosive, a big reason most K's still have excellent bores. Kinda pricey, but figure it's still a manually operated rifle and not a semiauto, you probably won't be going thru ammo like a FAL or AK.

They're definitely, I think, the smokin' deal of all the milsurps out there now. I'll be picking up at least one or two more as my broke-ass college boy budget allows.:biggrin:

Temp
October 23, 2005, 23:04
Originally posted by spatin
Sorry about putting this in the wrong forum. If the moderator is reading this, please move this to the general firearms discussion.

Temp, thanks for your response. Are there any manuals available in English?
Also, is there anything wierd about reloading their cartridges, like special primers or something?

Sidney

Don't know where to get any manuals.

Reloading for them with boxer type cases, such as Graf & Son sells, is just like reloading for any centerfire .30 caliber rifle. .308 diameter bullets and large rifle primers.

spatin
October 23, 2005, 23:13
Well that sounds pretty good to me. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Sidney

spatin
October 23, 2005, 23:15
Has anyone ever put a scope on a K31?
Seems like it would make a pretty good pack/hunting rifle.
Sidney

Temp
October 23, 2005, 23:16
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/skswissk31mount/index.asp

spatin
October 23, 2005, 23:24
Well, that was a terrific response! I clicked on the url and there was a K31 ( a nice one I might add ) and scoped! Looks like it would take a long relief scope, but that looks like a good combination.
Sidney

ftierson
October 24, 2005, 01:04
Sidney, they're great rifles...

For additional info (and I'm sure that you probably noticed when checking the scope article), see also

Swiss K31 (http://www.surplusrifle.com/swissk31/index.asp)

The downloadable manuals for assembly/disassembly are great.

Forrest

zack taylor
October 24, 2005, 01:12
Check out www.swissrifles.com You can find out when and where your's was made.

I picked up a K31 earlier this year. A walnut stocked, pristine rifle manufactured during WW2. I enjoy shooting it immensely. A little more recoil than a .308, but accurate outta the box.

Dan's ammo and SPG have good deals on ammo.

It just may be my next short-range deer rifle.

Zack

DYNOMIKE
October 24, 2005, 07:03
spatin:
Be VAWY VAWY Carefull...
Once you own one, you will want another!
C&R's in general are very addicting. But "Really cool" ones like these need to be owned in Pairs (at least):devil:

I got one for my Dad as an X-MAS gift. He loves the rifle, but can't shoot more than 5 rounds before he gets a sore shoulder.
They "DO" have some recoil, but I think that very tolerable?
Enjoy it..

Temp
October 24, 2005, 07:23
Originally posted by DYNOMIKE69
spatin:
Be VAWY VAWY Carefull...
Once you own one, you will want another!
C&R's in general are very addicting. But "Really cool" ones like these need to be owned in Pairs (at least):devil:

I got one for my Dad as an X-MAS gift. He loves the rifle, but can't shoot more than 5 rounds before he gets a sore shoulder.
They "DO" have some recoil, but I think that very tolerable?
Enjoy it..

Put a couple hundred rounds of that cast load together that I mentioned in the C&R forum and give them to him this Christmas.

DYNOMIKE
October 24, 2005, 07:40
Excellent idea Temp!!:wink: