PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a good skinning knife w/gut hook for large hands?

'TUDE
October 21, 2005, 23:10
Being a traditionalist, I've never considered changing from a standard blade to a gut hook blade for skinning out/dressing deer until now (maybe).

Those few blades with the hook I have handled leave me needing a bit more in the handle area for my bigger hands. So, who makes a decent gut hook blade with enough meat in the handle to assure grip yet still be nimble enough to "finger" as I work?

Powderfinger
October 21, 2005, 23:45
Cold Steel Master Hunter Plus in Carbon V steel should fit the bill. The handle is a non-slip checkered rubber. If your hands are XXL, it may be too short.

Odd Gibbs Shooter
October 21, 2005, 23:50
May I recommend the Kershaw Tom Veff Majesty
Tom designed this knife with bing hands in mind. I helped him with a couple of his prototypes.
IMHO this is the best skinner on the market for the price. The skinner caper combo can be found for around $58.
Last year I skinned a 5 pt bull elk and a spike buck and never had to touch the blade up.
The cocoa bolo is so nice on these!

http://www.bladehaus.com/sup/BL/bladehaus/products/large/31288.jpg

BULLDOG
October 22, 2005, 09:27
You may check Knives of Alaska. I have carried one of their rigs for almost 10 yrs now. I belive they make one with the gut hook now. As to steel quality, they take a little work to edge, but hold it for a good while. They offer a choice of a decorative stag type (useless, when bloody) handle, or a rubber composite type (which I use). I have dressed several Elk, deer, and pronghorn with mine, and have been totally satisfied. I beleive they are located in the DFW FYI. Be warned though, at first they seem a little pricey, but are well worth the cost. Hope it helps.

SEMPER FI