PDA

View Full Version : squirrel skinnin

newfalguy101
October 12, 2005, 22:08
I am looking for a good way to easily skin squirrels.

I have seen a video of a guy who did it in like 30 seconds, does anybody know how????????

I found the original thread that had the video link, but its dead now :( :(

cycle_rcr
October 13, 2005, 07:53
I cut around neck, chop off feet, push around neck. Skin releases mostly like a sock. Haven't done it enough to accomplish the task in 30 sec, but it is very easy, just like a rabbit.

Get a lot(of squirrels), practice, make your own movie, and qrill em up. Tony Cacheres hot salt, peanut oil.....Tastes pretty good.

Survey Punk
October 13, 2005, 08:07
I cut completley around just forward of the "waist". Pull the front half up over the head and feet, back half to the feet and tail. Remove these with a small hatchet. "Watch it with that axe, Eugene".
Simple but not 30 seconds.

JB

Blaster
October 13, 2005, 10:06
Originally posted by Survey Punk
I cut completley around just forward of the "waist". Pull the front half up over the head and feet, back half to the feet and tail. Remove these with a small hatchet. "Watch it with that axe, Eugene".
Simple but not 30 seconds.

JB

That's the way we did it too. Always took minutes longer as we didn't want to get ANY fur on the meat.

Dean P
October 13, 2005, 10:33
That's the way we did it too. Always took minutes longer as we didn't want to get ANY fur on the meat.

Fur my axx, that is hair & gobs of it.:D

W.E.G.
October 13, 2005, 10:37
Ya gots to skin 'em a-fer ya eats 'em?

Dang. I'll have to try that.

owlcreekok
October 13, 2005, 10:41
Just cut across the back, about mid rib cage, up across back, down to other mid rib cage. Then peel front off front and back end off back. My clumsy hands cuts guts open too often when I try to cut all the way around Mr. Bushytail. Wire cutters make the lower legs go away pretty easy.

Tree rats. Pretty good fare.

Disclaimer: Owls eat very small squirrels only,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,whole. :biggrin:

Ya gots to skin 'em a-fer ya eats 'em?

Nope.

MikeT
October 14, 2005, 20:14
this the vid you were talking about?

http://members.localnet.com/~nickdd/Mr.SQUACKS_0001.wmv

skfullgun
October 14, 2005, 23:37
Just cut across the back, about mid rib cage, up across back, down to other mid rib cage. Then peel front off front and back end off back. My clumsy hands cuts guts open too often when I try to cut all the way around Mr. Bushytail. Wire cutters make the lower legs go away pretty easy.

That's the way we did it growing up in east Texas...

Used a sturdy knife to break and cut the legs instead of wire-cutters. Then, Granny cooked us up a pot of squirrel and dumplings. Mmmm!

Firestarter
October 15, 2005, 09:27
Make an incision across it's back perpindicular to the length of the squirrel.
Insert two fingers in either side and pull apart. wire cutters for the front and rear paws.

machinist
October 15, 2005, 20:06
don,t forget the brains with your eggs.

broncobisley1
October 15, 2005, 23:16
Haven't eaten the little furry rats in years. Did basically the same thing owlcreek described, except that we only ate about 1 out of 40 we killed (since it was rare that we'd make stew of out the ones we killed). Instead, we usually did our bit to improve race relations. There was an old black guy about 2 miles away that loved squirrels, so whenever we got rid of a bunch of the bushy-tailed rats, we just drove them right over to him and gave them to him. He always appreciated them. I also would occasionally place one on top of the fence for the Hawk to come get (when I only got rid of one of them). That started when I was just a kid on Thanksgiving day. We had already killed one and found out how many shots it took to make mincemeat. Then after the second one I noticed a Hawk watching us from a nearby tree. So, I decided to set the squirrel on top of the fence and we walked a 100ft away. The Hawk then swooped down, grabbed the squirrel and flew off with it back into the tree(although he was struggling). We then watched him for a while satisfied that we had provided him with a Thanksgiving meal too (kids:)

newfalguy101
October 16, 2005, 16:05
Originally posted by MikeT
this the vid you were talking about?

http://members.localnet.com/~nickdd/Mr.SQUACKS_0001.wmv

Thats exactly it Mike, thanks for the link.

Ok ok ok so it was 45 seconds and not 30, sue me

kfranz
October 17, 2005, 09:23
Originally posted by Firestarter
Make an incision across it's back perpindicular to the length of the squirrel.
Insert two fingers in either side and pull apart. wire cutters for the front and rear paws.

That's how we did it. Used a hatchet on the paws though, 'cause we were kids and any excuse to use the hatchet was good enough for us.

Dation
October 17, 2005, 16:45
I've wanted to go squirrel hunting for awhile and that video made the skinning look easy. I thought it would be harder but he just whipped through it. What do you do after you remove the skin? Is their a way to preserve the wee little hide? Would that same skinning technique work on western grey squirrel (in Oregon)?

owlcreekok
October 17, 2005, 17:05
What do you do after you remove the skin?

Remove the viscera. (Next ? Make fire ! :smile: Eat. :biggrin:

Is their a way to preserve the wee little hide?

Prolly. Like any other tanning process that I know little about,,,except it is a PIA and a squirrel has very little plew worth anything.

Would that same skinning technique work on western grey squirrel (in Oregon)?

Cain't see why it wouldn't. Tree rat's a tree rat. Some is bigger'n others. What I hear is some folks in OR is a mite squampshus about guns 'n' such.

:uhoh:

kfranz
October 18, 2005, 09:26
Originally posted by Dation
I've wanted to go squirrel hunting for awhile and that video made the skinning look easy. I thought it would be harder but he just whipped through it. What do you do after you remove the skin? Is their a way to preserve the wee little hide? Would that same skinning technique work on western grey squirrel (in Oregon)?

Don't know about the skins, but 'round here folks sell the tails to Mepps fer fishin lures

http://www.mepps.com/mepps/information/squirrels/

of course, this is also on their website....

Please Note: It's illegal to sell squirrel tails in the states of CA, ID, OR and TX

Cummins_4x4
October 18, 2005, 10:21
kfranz you've got this part really right :"That's how we did it. Used a hatchet on the paws though, 'cause we were kids and any excuse to use the hatchet was good enough for us."
Now you've got me looking for my trusty hachet. I can think of a young lad or 2 that need to use it! Hard to describe all the scenario's that go through a young mans hed when he has a trusty hachet in hand. They're about 1 million times the character builder that a video game is!
I like the squirels to eat the skinning is just real tedious. I always passed them up if we had a good crop of rabbits. They're really good though if you have someone who knows how to slow fry them and make gravy though!

newfalguy101
November 23, 2006, 16:26
finally had a chance to use the info in that link!!!

It seems around these parts the state issues kevlar to the bushytails late in the season, it MUST be kevlar cuz I KNOW I dont miss that often!!!! :wink: :wink:

I tell ya , it works just slicker n snot just like in the video :biggrin:

Pistolwiz
November 23, 2006, 17:29
Yep, Make a cut across the back. Pull the two sections apart. Cut the feet off. Makes a great squirrel puppet too! (The top half.) At least until it get's stinky.

The kids would be cracking up when I'd take the "squirrel puppets" and with my best squirrel voices do a little show for them. :biggrin:

W.E.G.
November 23, 2006, 17:42
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xy4i13HIjA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xy4i13HIjA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

fordruid
November 23, 2006, 20:18
Originally posted by Dation

Is their a way to preserve the wee little hide?

Soak it in a salt and alum solution.
There are better ways but this will work and its easy;
Per gallon of BOILING water add 8 to 10 ounces of alum and as much salt as you can get to disolve (you can't put too much, it will just not disolve).
Now, making sure that the hide is cleaned of al meat and such it will go in the 'pickle bath' in a glass jar or wooden barrel.
If you are afraid that the fur might come out you want to use a warm (about 150f ) bath but otherwise cool is fine.
Soak for from 3 days to 3 weeks (depending on size and thickness, longer doesn't hurt but not long enough does)
Now, remove and clean thoroughly removing all of the pickle bath with plain water.
If you are just wanting to tack it on the wall do so now, stretching as much as you can easily do.
If you want soft, let dry and then work by flexing until soft. (You can also use saddle soap type products to help here but dry is better)
(btw, this method makes the 'leather' white with fur on)

If you want better ways ask but this is great for squirrel hides

fordruid
November 23, 2006, 20:23
For the 'pelt tacked on the wall' look, with a razor blade cut from chin to tail on the belly (carefully so you don't cut meat) and from front paw to front paw and rear paw to rear paw.. Pull hide off cutting it away from meat as you go, head and tail will pull off like a sock.

Firestarter
November 24, 2006, 09:10
Originally posted by Gunpartsguy
Yep, Make a cut across the back. Pull the two sections apart. Cut the feet off. Makes a great squirrel puppet too! (The top half.) At least until it get's stinky.

The kids would be cracking up when I'd take the "squirrel puppets" and with my best squirrel voices do a little show for them. :biggrin:

You my friend are a sick, sick, man! :rofl:

We could do a video and send it to PETA just to watch them freak out! :rofl:

THAT would be worth it's weight! :biggrin:

(But you're still twisted)! :beer: :biggrin:

Pistolwiz
November 24, 2006, 10:55
Originally posted by Firestarter

You my friend are a sick, sick, man! :rofl:

We could do a video and send it to PETA just to watch them freak out! :rofl:

THAT would be worth it's weight! :biggrin:

(But you're still twisted)! :beer: :biggrin:

Yeah. I know I am. Ya gotta be at least somewhat twisted to keep things fun! But the puppet shows were funny. The best part was using a finger in the back of the head to push the tongue out and they'd give rasberries............ At least until rigormortis set in anyway.............

Add file', garlic, salt & pepper, some salt and pepper, rice, veggies. Gotta par boil the little suckers good to debone in the spices. Then cook it down in the rice & veggies. Add more file' & some crackers.........and voila! Squirrel Gumbo! Yum!!!!!

And the dogs just loved the guts.....................

PigPen
November 25, 2006, 14:59
I opologize for arriving so late and for not reading all of the posts. The posts that I did read (there were several) said, Yeah, just like the man in the video.....Cut the animal mid back.....) Well, that's not what I was taught and after watching the video, it ain't what the man in the video did.

He held the animal by his hind legs, head down. He flipped the tail over the back and made an incision through the tail bone underneath and at the base of the tail. He then worked the skin toward the head spreading the cut skin as he went with his finger and additional knife cuts. My job with my dad was always to hold those back legs while he worked the skin. When all pulled over the squirel's head the front feet and head were cut off. (My mother refused to cook the head). Then the animal was reversed and the back half was skinned the same way. Then he was gutted, washed and cooked.

Squirel is essentially without fat (Like most rabbits). You can of course fry it but many people find it too dry. Others like it better in dumplings..........don't forget to add butter for a little fat. Stew isn't bad either.

The guy in the video did what I was taught (and did for many years). Keep em clean, take care not to get hair on the meat and cook um slow over low heat. Absence of fat means they tend to get dry and hard.

PigPen

Timber Wolf
November 26, 2006, 08:22
My 2 cents from experience is this: DO NOT PULL THE SKIN COMPLETELY OFF THE HEAD. Just pull it up over the head and cut the head off skin and all, dispose of properly. If you do pull the skin completly off the head you will realize you have just skinned a rat, not a very pretty sight.:tongue:

Edit to add: I forgot about one of my favorite things to do with old frezzer-burned squirrel. Give them to the dogs. They love a nice squirrel popsicle in the summer!

W.E.G.
November 26, 2006, 08:56
Originally posted by Timber Wolf
...one of my favorite things to do with old frezzer-burned squirrel. Give them to the dogs. They love a nice squirrel popsicle in the summer!

:rofl: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1704891

diana-ar15
November 26, 2006, 12:14
I forgot about one of my favorite things to do with old frezzer-burned squirrel. Give them to the dogs. They love a nice squirrel popsicle in the summer!

:rofl:

mdlmkr 7.62
November 28, 2006, 19:31
Cool video but I think there ain't no easy way to skin a squirell. Rabbits are a piece o cake but squirells seem to want to keep thier hide - even after death!:mad:

newfalguy101
November 28, 2006, 19:38
mdlmkr 7.62

next time you shoot a squirrel, try skinning it like in the video, it REAllY is easy.