PDA

View Full Version : enfield vs nagant

splogan
October 02, 2005, 23:30
For a rifle to tear the twig off of and fut a fiberglass stock on. Which is the better round to use for hunting, the .303 brit of the 7.62x54r. Obviously with softpoint ammo.

'TUDE
October 02, 2005, 23:38
Well now, you not given' us much ta go on here. Whatcha be shootin'? Rabbit, squirrel, deer, hog, bar? Open terrain or in the woods? Long shots expected?

Both rounds are known for being proven hunting calibers.

splogan
October 02, 2005, 23:55
Nothing bigger than a white tail. I will be using a scope but I will never shoot past 500 and like to keep it under 300 if I can. easier to ensure a safe shot. I can hit bull with irons at 600 but not while I am hunting will I try to do so.

BUFF
October 03, 2005, 01:48
Both. Or, either. Or, the one for which you find the best aftermarket stock for the money.

Probably, the one with the best trigger. Trigger quality and sights are the two most important factors for making the hit.

Terick
October 03, 2005, 13:27
All else being equal it's not even close, the Enfield will make a fine sporter and has a proven track record in that respect. The Safety alone makes the Enfield far more user friendly. MN's are rugged, and I love 'em, but they aren't even in the same league with the Enfield when it comes to putting together a hunting rifle.

Chip
October 03, 2005, 23:33
I agree, the Enfield. I have built several sporters out of Enfields in the far distance past.

owlcreekok
October 04, 2005, 07:19
I would say the Enfield No 4. Easier to sporterize. Aftermarket furniture is a job of minutes. Scope mounting is kinda touchy, but not significantly difficult. Personally, my pushing 50 eyesight notwithstanding, I would stay with irons. Whitetails are normally shot under 150, even under 100 yds. Brit .303 hunting ammo is cheap and in every Wally World in the country.

It's a bit more work, but the MN CAN be made into a real sexy Scout rifle. There's a thread on here about it. One of the clan has done a bang up job with them.

I have witnessed a 303 Enfield outshoot a box stock 30-06 Rem 700 off the bench at a 100 yds. :]

bykerhd
October 04, 2005, 09:12
The Enfield is quite adaptable for sporting use with commercially available parts. Aftermarket stocks in a variety of types are easy to find. No drill scope mounts are available. If you do not modify original parts, barrel, receiver, etc. you can restore it to military trim with less than an hours work. The Mosin can also be adapted in the same manner if you use one of the forward mounted scope set-ups that use the rear sight base. The Enfield is probably the better choice for hunting use.

ssgrock3
October 04, 2005, 11:55
7.62x54r is a lot more prevalent of a round, so ammo is easier and cheaper.

richbug
October 04, 2005, 12:54
I just built a Cheap beat arround sporter Out of a century $29 M44 rusian. Including the glass, I have $85 in it. I used a weaver side mount, pachmayr decelerator pad, a few ounces of bondo, a metric combo device, a 5/16" bolt for a bolt handle, and a couple cans of spray paint. Its first group with albanian surplus was 2.5" prone with no rest at 100 yards. I plan on a little more shooting wih it today. the trigger was fixed by drilling and tapping one hole and installing a set screw. It has nice #2 trigger now.

7.62x54 ammo is cheap, 303 isn't.

homelandprotector
October 04, 2005, 15:08
Now here is a good deer rig.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1453/xtremedeerhunting2mc.jpg

skfullgun
October 04, 2005, 22:01
If referring to the cartridge, I would give a nod to the 7.62X54R over the .303.

My preference for rifles would be with the Enfield. I have a soft-spot for the Mosins, but the safety sucks!

mj2evans
October 05, 2005, 14:35
I think the ammo issue says go with the MN. Not that its better than 303 but its abundant and cheap. Plus, I hate to see a nice Enfield torn up. MN are cheap, buy a couple and convert the ugly one.

Palo
October 05, 2005, 17:49
As an aside, while visiting friends in AZ, while we were at the range and came across a gent that had a very nice Enfield No.4 that was converted to the Russian 7.62x54r. He was shooting some very decent groups at 100 & 200 yd.s. Asked him if he converted it and said a gunsmith near Phoenix did the work. Also said that there is a video out there that shows how to do it. Sorta the best of both worlds, so to speak.

Randall
October 05, 2005, 18:13
Hell, get both their cheap! They may not always be so.

masman
October 06, 2005, 16:12
Originally posted by Randall
Hell, get both their cheap! They may not always be so.

mosins are running a little cheaper right now,but i have to agree with the points for the enfield.

splogan
October 06, 2005, 18:10
My only thing for the mosins is that I have 3 already so I am very familar with them. I also have lots of 7.72x54r ammo and piles of spare parts. Ideally I would get a couple enfields but till my wife finds another job the toy money is EXTREMELY limited.