PDA

View Full Version : lapidary freeks only

ggiilliiee
August 18, 2005, 02:26
goodies (http://community-1.webtv.net/ggiilliiee/CABACHONS/page2.html)

owlcreekok
August 18, 2005, 11:10
Hey gg

My Dad got a kit when I was a kid to polish rocks and such. We had a ball with that thing. It had the tumbler, different media to mix in it. I found it in the tool shed 30 years later. Unsalvageable. Is there still inexpensive kits to get for that ? It is amazing what you get out of those with ordinary stones you toss in.

Prolly keep my kids outta my hair with one,,,,,,,,,,,for a minute. :sad:

Cool pieces you got posted there.

raeldridge
August 18, 2005, 11:40
Harbor Freight, as if you're not surprised has several different models and supplies.

here's one exabmple

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46376

I've got one and the media in my garage, never tried it out yet. got it for the kids and they've never got the interest up for it.

Plain George
August 18, 2005, 11:56
Polishing shoes, polishing stones, what next,,polishing bowling balls.??

owlcreekok
August 18, 2005, 12:00
what next,,polishing

Yard apples.

:angel:

ggiilliiee
August 18, 2005, 12:20
hey owlcreek ..how are ya .....they can be bought redily .50.00 to 70.00 bones.or replacement parts are available liners/ drums ect.....but what i did was to get some of the blue plastic water main pipe put 3 full length plastic 1x1 inch strips at every 120 degrees(inside) secured from the outside of the pipe (so the bolts cant touch the rocks inside the drum.... counter bored and recessed inside and out) make some plywood end caps drilled and tapped... with tire tube gasket/some rollers a small gear motor 20-30 rpm and a 8 dollar sack of GREEN DIAMOND sandblasting media 20/50 grit to rough and some polish from a lapdary supplier to finish(4to7 bucks a pound) goes a long way/ ...mine are 11.5 inch od x36 long on a double decker roller setup (top drum rolls on the bottom gear driven drum ) and will hold about 175 lbs of rock each... grapefruit sized to peanut size... about a month on rough... take roughed rocks out and clean them WELL (soap and water)to remove any rough grit and 3-4 weeks polish ....comes out nice.....get the pipe size you want ...make two as youll need one for rough and finish (to avoid grit contamination)...try to get the blue pipe most construction places will give you remnants... and that shit is freekin bullet proof.... and then delrin for the internal runners ..(they flip the rocks around so you dont get flat spots on the rocks...can send a pic of my set up if your interested.. as my description is probably weak..say hello to your father for me.... hope hes doing well...

ggiilliiee
August 18, 2005, 12:32
forgot to add that tumbled rock are selling to the folks at the portland yuppy festivals for 1 dollar and ounce (all day long) thats 2800.00 a run.... not bad for a hobby :wink:

owlcreekok
August 18, 2005, 14:18
Damn, G. Me and my big pie hole. I told wifey about it.

Send pics of the rig please.

:cry:

PS, Dad's doin' pretty good. Talked to Ma yesterday, she was a bit cranky because of some contraption Dad was beatin on out on the patio.

:biggrin: Gotta :love: Dad

ggiilliiee
August 18, 2005, 14:44
hey owlcreek ..just saw the message ..have to run downtown for an hour but will send pic as soon as i get back ...glad to hear your dad is feeling good ..the man must be tougher than titanium ....tell him we have a little project for him...time to call in the expert .... :)

ggiilliiee
August 18, 2005, 17:39
OWLCREEK ...here ya go buddy sorry i couldnt get better pics not much room in my micro fab shop...he he (http://community-1.webtv.net/ggiilliiee/MEGATUMBLER/)

ggiilliiee
August 18, 2005, 17:57
owl ...forgot to say the most important thing..if you make one this big ...you better have ALOT of rock to tumble ...rolers are like the ones you see on shipping set-ups...with a 25 ring sprocket tack welded to the roller to drive the one roller...studs on ends of rollers are tacked to the framework...and the top one is offset slightly to allow it a resting spot on the bottom tube so it cant roll off ...about 30 bucks into it after scrounging .... ...this one has been rolling continously (except for loading and un loading) for about two years ...steelco ...a supplier here in albany ore ...has pallets of the rollers if you cant locate any ...shipping wouldnt be to bad ...they sell for 2 dollars a piece let me know if you cant find any and i will get you some if you so desire ....pretty simple build ....enjoy buddy

K. Funk
August 18, 2005, 18:11
And they work great for tumbling brass as well!!

krf

55bird
August 18, 2005, 18:33
In the early 80's I was a member of the Houston Gem and mineral Society and the club had lots of free stuff to use.Made cabs and had a lot of fun,Still wish I took one of those Mexican bus trips to some obscure place and they would dynamite the side of a hill and you went and carried out several hundred pounds each to bring back to the slab saws.

ggiilliiee
August 18, 2005, 19:37
55 i know what you mean ...dont know what it is about mexico ..but dam they have some nice stuff there geodes filled with amethist BIG STUFF..(saw one with a man inside the geode 8 ft in diameter filled with giant amethist crystals and a hole just big enough for him to get inside ).the mexi lace agate is one of my favorites ..absolutely amazing matricies ....and colors ...my theory is its from the big metorite that hit down there and threw all the shock quartz and silicates all over the place...but who knows .... mother nature is one awesome momma ...gotta love her ..he he :)

owlcreekok
August 18, 2005, 19:42
Holy Mackerel Man ! I need the little harbor freight deal ! :uhoh:

You got a real bent for building cool toys, gg !

J

AZ Dave
August 18, 2005, 22:43
My dad was a turqoise cutter in the 70's. Made a good living at it and was considered one of the best in the country. We later started tumbling turqoise in large quantity. He made 2 big tumblers that used tires as containers. We used the big offroad type as they were nice and deep and had a good fall rate. They rode on 2 lengths of 1" cold rolled steel, 1 hooked to a motor with a pulley and on the other end, were pulleys that tied the rollers together.

ggiilliiee
August 19, 2005, 00:21
AZDAVE coool ive seen the tire thing too works well ....your dad must be a master ...as ive heard the turquoise is a real bitch to get a quality finish on it