and for those of you who have been there, you'll recognize this format:

Rose:
spectacular campsites and scenery
trekking poles - I had new Leki's, couldn't have made it without them
philmont organization - from food to paperwork, they had it under control
other campers - never a problem, always help if you needed it
food - my particular favorite, the hoo-ahh bars

Thorns:
rush, rush, rush - after third night, our scouts got tired of the constant programs
altitude - not bad for the young folks, we advisors felt the difference at 8000-9000 feet
people who don't pick up trash - the cleanest trails I've ever hiked on, which just magnified more the presence of the random candy wrapper or bottle lid
bear protocols - we followed them faithfully. we didn't see any bears (or mt. lions) but we don't know how many saw us
mini-bears - they can break into packs or food, but you really get peeved when they shred up the scott!
food preparation - our scouts did it all, sometimes slow, but they learned

Buds:
you hear folks complain about the 'the new generation'. after hiking with these young men, I still have hope. we let our scouts do everything. when they asked us a question about navigation, or plans for the next day, we just said, we're the old guys in the back, we're just breathing. they handled it all.

the fires of 2002 really ripped through a section of philmont. we busted our butts on a conservation project throwing bales of straw around for reseeding. couple of days later, we walked through an area that had been reclaimed. there were burnt sticks of ponderosa pine still standing, but we walked through knee high grasses and flowers. the scouts got an immediate reward then to see what was the result of someone else's hard work, and knew that what they had done was helping out future hikers.

shootist87122
August 09, 2005, 22:31
Glad you survived.

A cool trip that you and your son will remember forever. My oldest did it with his Texas Troop, even though we had moved to NM about 8 months previous.

Even though he was young and fit, he dropped a good 10 Lbs on a 10 day hike. Not for the faint of heart!

lutefisk
August 10, 2005, 01:28
I was '76 CD Baldy Town, '75 ACD(rock climbing) Cito and '74 PC (survival) Miranda. Took a kid with a femur injury off south side Baldy by sliding on ass down scree during lightning/snow storm...quite scarey stuff. Also took Ranger off Lover's Leap on tech rescue in '75. As he unclipped my pro on huge traverse exit, I was exposed to 'world's greatest pendulum' if I slipped (raining). Never trust a victim. In '74 several of us had the unique experience of having a crown fire catch us as we topped a ridge...it is not like the movies. It is a huge roar with very large flying rocks hitting you in the face(and you're effectively blind from all the debris sticking in your eyes).
Philmont was an incredible place to work...you never quite leave the place (as it's a whole lot nicer than the real world). I would encourage you to try to get your kid interested in applying for a summer job there.

It's almost time to break into all those boxes of slides that haven't been viewed in 30 years........
Did you see this old wreck a couple switchbacks down from B-town? It's a bit dark...a great staff.

lutefisk
August 10, 2005, 01:32
Sorry, here's the car and staff...

lutefisk
August 10, 2005, 01:38
The fact that you did not experience bears is incredible. You must have had your act together.

I see on 'search' that I've blabbed to you about Philmont before. Sorry 'bout that. I'm glad you had a great trip.

Did the monsoon rains get you? They could be a daily pain. This is when I started drinking a bunch of coffee...and haven't stopped yet!

raeldridge
August 10, 2005, 10:44
I should have mentioned I posted earlier that we were going. I got a lot of great advice from folks and it helped out a lot.

I don't think anyone could be in shape enough to be ready for everything there. I was running three miles every day and jumping rope for training. also taking the stairs when I was going out on my company job (don't laugh, we have some buildings 60') I noticed I had no problems with my legs, wasn't sore once. running out of air at the altitude happened a lot, the heart/lungs just weren't up to it. I did as well as or better than the other adult advisors, and I noticed some of the scouts were breathing heavy up the hills.

this was jun 29 - jul 12. I'm late posting this because of a gall bladder operation got in the way! it tried so hard to rain out there, but never really made it. every morning was cool or cold, one day we had frost on our boots. either cloudy or sunny. if cloudy, it broke up early, sunny and almost warm through the morning, as warm as it could get with the low humidity. every afternoon it would cloud up, we would get a couple of sprinkles. last day, coming down the tooth of time ridge, if finally rained hard enough to get out our pack covers. of course it stopped five minutes later and we were dry twenty minutes after that.

my son does want to go back, if he gets a job there, I'm all for it. he is old enough to recognize what a trip it was. sort of ruins them for many other hiking trips though!

again, thanks for all the good advice

gunnut1
August 10, 2005, 15:52
Went to Philmont in the early 60s when I was 14. Still remember it like it was yesterday.

My son did Philmont when he was 16. He was not impressed. Too much work for him. But he did enjoy it. Said it was the hardest thing he had ever done.

Glad to see that there are guys on the board that work with the scouts!

broncobisley1
August 15, 2005, 22:13
Glad you enjoyed Philmont. It's always good to see parents active in Scouts.

On another note, Philmont has changed a lot for the worse over the years. You pretty much hike from activity to activity and most of the trails have turned into 4x4 roads. I hope the Valle Vidal (spelling?) area that Philmont uses hasn't changed. It is more remote and not owned by Philmont so they are limited in what they can do there.

You should take your son on a trip to the Northern Tier High Adventure Canoe Base in Ely, Minnesota. You should then pay the extra fee to get out of the Boundary Waters and into the Quetico Provincial Park in Canada. You used to be able to go without a guide, but now they require every group to have a guide unless one of the adults has been there three times or more (might require a guide for everyone by now). I went there three times, all without a guide and enjoyed it far more than the two times I went to Philmont. It requires a lot more out of you and you will think Philmont was a breeze after going. It is more laid back, and if you hit the right areas you can go days without seeing another group. If y'all are interested in going feel free to e-mail me with questions.

Gremper
August 15, 2005, 22:48
Did it in the Summer of 1958. Bunch of mixed Scouts, I was the only one from my Troop.. Got lost the first night out, went off the Ranch and landed up near a Girl Scout Camp. No tents, sleeping bag on a surplus US Army Pack Board. Still do not know who sponsored me as there was no way my folks could afford to send me. Greyhound bus from Pensacola Fla to and from Philmont. All of us earned the 50 Miler Patch. Excellent leadership training. Will never forget it.