PDA

View Full Version : Dog days of summer

wt
July 12, 2005, 11:41
Man I am ready for Fall!

When I was a kid, I loved the summer. Now, it seems that the only outdoor activity suitable for summer time in Texas is fishing. Don't get me wrong I love to fish, but I am ready for fall/winter. It is not just the heat I have grown a disdain for, it is the biting critters (mossys, ticks, wasps, etc) and the poison ivy. Although I can still hunt (pigs and varmits), I have no desire to butcher a tick covered piggy in July heat. It seems every year about this time I go though this same ordeal. Right about the time I feel I can't handle it any more, dove season starts and before I know it, October is upon me. I relish the cool weather all the way through March, but then it starts all over again. I love Texas and have too many roots here to consider moving at this point in my life. Even if I wanted to leave, I have no idea where I would go. Although I have never been there, Idaho seems to have the everthing I could want (except a decent paying job in the tech industry). Any other Texans go though this ordeal every year?

owlcreekok
July 13, 2005, 20:11
"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do......
...life's been good to me so far"

Yeh WT. Hot Hot Hot ! I like it here in TX too. I also must like to complain about the hot. I ususally start bellyachin about this time. Soon's my jaws git sore from havin ta chew my breaths.

Come ON,,,,Juvember ! :sad:

I'll run down to High Island and fart around with surf fishin' once't or twice't a week. That mostly shuts me up,,,,,,for a minute.

:biggrin:

JoeLad
July 17, 2005, 17:37
Not too bad here at the present. 75 F, 88% RH, with thunderstorms moving through the area. Mid to high 90's with matching humidity returns the middle of the week.

Please, no flames for me being online with static electricity flying through the air.

JoeLad:D

instr8
July 17, 2005, 19:40
Anything has to beat two or three thunderstorms and 100% humidity each and every day of my life, until that is, the snow and 20 degree weather starts. I've lived in Western NC all my life. It's never been as bad as it has been the last 5 or 6 years. I never have been a big believer in global climatic changes but something sure is happening. Just look at all the hurricanes.

Talyn
July 17, 2005, 21:04
I've been doing some bike rides this weekend.

After a couple of time trail rides, Friday & Sat I joined up with the Lewiston (Idaho) Bike Club at 1000 hrs for a ride from Deery to Elk River, Idaho. It was 27.7 miles each way & we had 24 riders.

I started last after spending some quality time on the can at the Deery City Park facilities so I had some catching up to do. The road is rolling with some decent hills & dips along the way. We had a small headwind. I caught up with the main riders & started passing. At one point three riders caught up with me & I slipped in behind them for a breather but then they started slowing down. I like to keep a steady rythm so I passed them again for the last time. One of the more hard core riders passed me but when I made it to Bovill (a small town in between) he had stopped for a rest. I continued on the next 18 miles to Elk River passing more riders & expecting the 5-6 hard core riders to catch me. The couple of steep declines gave me the chance to get up to 45 mph on the decent (I need more gears!) and give me more space.

I kept checking my "6" for folks catching up but didn't see any. I made it into Elk River first with a time of 1 hr 31 min. with an average speed of 18.1 mph. About 5 min later the first rider cruised into town (a hard core) just as I was sitting down on the bench at the Resturant/store that has all the huckleberry goodies. As the rest got there I scarfed down a BIG piece of huckleberry pie & a huckleberry shake.

We all got going again after about an hour & four of the hard cores made sure I didn't get ahead again. I settled into my standard rthym as they took off. I stayed within a decent distance from them & passed one at the top of a hill when he had bike problems. The ride back was HOT (in the high 80's to low 90's) & I felt it when going back up a couple of those hills that I had sceamed down. My butt was also sore so that slowed me down too but I finished 4th with a total time of 3 hr 10 min and a 17.4 mph average both ways. Not too bad for a 47 year old.

I was pretty pooped so I headed home a 80 mile drive.

Now I'm watching the rest of todays Tour d'France coverage, having a nice juicy burger with Walla Walla onions & a cold Widmer hefewiezen. Better end the weekend on a good not before going back to work tomorrow morning.

Hope you guys had a good weekend!

Alan

JoeLad
July 18, 2005, 07:06
Originally posted by instr8
It's never been as bad as it has been the last 5 or 6 years. I never have been a big believer in global climatic changes but something sure is happening. Just look at all the hurricanes.

I agree. The summers in PA have been hotter and wetter, the winters colder with more snow.
I don't beleive greenhouse gases have much to do with it. I do think the planet is having a shift in weather patterns. Weather experts say it happens every 10,000 years or so. We're just lucky enough to be around for it.

JoeLad:D

Hebrew Battle Rifle
July 26, 2005, 06:09
It is hotter than a country boys pistol here. I was a heat casualty once in the MARINE CORPS and ever since then my tolerance for heat has dwindled. :cry:

SmokeEater2
July 26, 2005, 08:02
You got that right HBR! And its supposed to be 100 again today.:sad:

Blood of Tyrants
July 26, 2005, 08:26
Originally posted by instr8
Anything has to beat two or three thunderstorms and 100% humidity each and every day of my life, until that is, the snow and 20 degree weather starts. I've lived in Western NC all my life. It's never been as bad as it has been the last 5 or 6 years. I never have been a big believer in global climatic changes but something sure is happening. Just look at all the hurricanes.

Never? Then you must be about 12 years old. This isn't global warming. Truthfully, our summers in the South have been unusually MILD for the past 5 years or so. This is just a return to NORMAL. In Nashville we usually have about 13 days each summer where the temp gets over 95 degrees and last year we had zero, nada.

Yea, it's hot. I am sweating like a horse within 5 minutes of stepping outside, but it is not unusual weather for late July.

Deltaten
July 26, 2005, 19:35
" AND that damm's dog ya come in with!"
:D

Been purty warm here, too! 105 degree index, max of 94 today (but NOT in the sun!) and so humid, ya gotta chew!

I'm fagged out by 2 p.m. or so. Thank God for a garden hose, a big ole bandana, and the HR guy telling us to take it easy:D

More of same tomorrow. :o:

Re-hydrating.... well into my third "re-hydration" now! ;)

gary:
What kinda score ya get for "sweatin' bullets"??;)

Warmest regards,
Paul

Faust
August 13, 2005, 17:24
Well here in ocupied territory (Komiefornia) the weather is nice all year long, maybe you country boys should think of reinforcing the ranks here, we shure could use some more pro gun, concervative, self relliant red necs :bow:
Faust.
can't spell 4 sheet.