PDA

View Full Version : rock hounding

ggiilliiee
June 21, 2005, 13:33
i see a name here ...rockhound ...ok man talk to me where are ya and what are ya finding..he he ..im in oregon .into hamton green/pink..limbcast... hart mt jasper...maury mt dendritic moss agate....opalized wood (conch).and my namesake (RANDONITE) ..he he :)

rockhound
June 21, 2005, 14:43
bad pickings here in south east NY . devonian greywacke, silurian conglamerates . Lots of quartz, some amathest,lbut we are only 25 miles from franklin NJ , home of the worlds best flourescent minerals, so iI spend some time there, even found a nice ruby there .their twice yearly gem and mineral shows cost me more than fals.

ggiilliiee
June 21, 2005, 15:07
finding rubys and amethist ...and your complaining ..he he ...sounds good ...are you geting alot of pocket formations there ..quartz crystals.....would like to set up a nice flourescent display ....(mennonite is my favorite)...but about 35 bucks for a 2-3 lb chunk ...ouch... saw a big display at a collectors shop once.. dam was it cool ..

ggiilliiee
June 21, 2005, 16:09
http://community-1.webtv.net/ggiilliiee/doc1/

hydrotx
June 21, 2005, 20:25
ggilliee,
Nice looking pile of rocks. If you like, next time I'm over in the Franklin/Sterling area I'll grab a sample for you and ship it your way.

Regards,
hydrotx, P.G.

ggiilliiee
June 22, 2005, 02:08
hydrotx..that would be exelent but ya gotta let me send a chunk back ...you in orygun.??if not let me know what ya might like ...obsidian (colors) ..jaspers (picture) ...limbcasts..hamton green (rare)...were lucky here as there is ...uhhhh... was...he he alot of vulcanism in our desert....lots of replacement organic materials to be found...thanks hydrotx

ggiilliiee
June 22, 2005, 03:50
a few of ya may enjoy this.. (http://community-1.webtv.net/ggiilliiee/rocksoforegon/page2.html)

Windustsearch
June 22, 2005, 05:35
One state north we have alot of opalized and agatzed wood/organics. Also, other chalcedonies. There is buttloads of jaspers of various forms. We have just two small obsidian sources and the quality is low. There are great cinnebar crystals, yellow barite crystals, quartz crystals including amethyst, and lots of calcite crystals.

To name a few.

rcnpthfndr
June 22, 2005, 08:58
i ahve found some of that opalized wood near yakima, also have a specimen of SAP? that has 2 pine needles in it, and a piece that looks like a petrified wood limb about 4-5 inches long. when i get back into country i would be glad to send you all some pics if you want.

ggiilliiee
June 22, 2005, 13:35
oh yeah send pics...he he needles in sap /amber is a good find .....wood in yakima ...whre is my shovel ??? he he ..oregon and washington are composed of parts of alaska and new guinnea...23 little sub continents crashed together in the miocene and then the montana flood ....ended up with alot of goodies here in ore and wash ...windustsearch ...what state are you from.....cinnabar is nice stuff we have alot of mercury based minerals ..but no crystals ......except for the quartz /calcites....love to hear about the varried minerals of the usa

Windustsearch
June 22, 2005, 20:43
WA, they have amazing cinnabar specimens at the Burke Museum in Seattle. And some of the others I mentioned. I think most it comes out of the North Cascade subcontinent.

ggiilliiee
June 22, 2005, 22:37
this stuff is the mineral of the gods .. (http://www.triplearockshop.com/hart.html)

LAFAL
June 22, 2005, 22:51
We find fossilized fish, plant stems, yellow and red agates (and I mean huge) in the creek bottoms around here and around Natchez. MOstly around here it's leverite.
"lev 'er rite there on the ground- it ain't nuthin impo-tnt'."

ggiilliiee
June 22, 2005, 23:12
he he ...leverite is a common rock here too...lever rite where you found it...and the elusive "sex stones"...just a f___ing rock .he.....natches ...texas?...sounds like some nice agate and fossils are always a nice find

Bwana John
June 23, 2005, 08:54
My standard line is- Well, that there is a chuckin rock! then I chuck it.

I just got some very pretty orpiment and realgar from the Carlin Trend in N. Nevada.

ggiilliiee
June 23, 2005, 14:10
bwanajohn ....have you ever been to the virgin valley for opals? ...we were planning a trip there this summer ....sheldon forest area ..pay to dig ..but some have pulled out 40 k stones while there ...so they say ...

Bwana John
June 24, 2005, 09:29
....have you ever been to the virgin valley for opals?
Nope, but I know about a kaolinite mine where they throw away anything that is opalized.
That mine is also very close to a aluminosilicate mine that happens to be the best place in the US to collect rutile xtls (TiO two).

ggiilliiee
June 24, 2005, 13:49
throwing away opalized stuff...oh god noooooooo ...would be happy to sort the tailings ...he he ...we dont have any of the varried crystals here just the quartz in colors ...none of the true gems like you have ....are they usually found in igneous or clays like the opals ??..our quartz crystals are usually found in the shale pockets or peg- dykes at 5k feet or above

Dation
June 25, 2005, 03:58
Originally posted by ggiilliiee
bwanajohn ....have you ever been to the virgin valley for opals? ...we were planning a trip there this summer ....sheldon forest area ..pay to dig ..but some have pulled out 40 k stones while there ...so they say ...

I went there in 2001 with my dad, brother and friends. My friend found a piece of fire opal almost the size of a roll of film. We made some screens at home to sift through the material but we mostly found small material. There was this one annoying kid who didn't do much looking around but found a nice one by poking a pile with a stick. Have you been to the limbcast area on the post/paulina hiway mile post 51, ggiilliiee?

Windustsearch
June 25, 2005, 07:32
There always the Succor creek emeralds.

ggiilliiee
June 25, 2005, 11:56
succor creek?? ...my old chuckar hunting grounds ..windustsearch ..spent more time there hunting looking at the ground than looking for birds...he he ...you live around there ....gods country...mmmmm dutch oven beef stew with nyssa sweet onions ohhhhhhh yeahh

ggiilliiee
June 25, 2005, 11:59
im not greedy but would like to find a few hundred of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4841&item=6541546832&rd=1)

ggiilliiee
June 25, 2005, 12:16
dation...you lucky dog ..nice find ...was the gem firey...have any pics...would love too see it .....yes have been 51/ congelton ...mp 44 on camp creek ....white fir ...home of randonite...he he..hamton butte and all around the area ..what an awsome area for minerals ...and one of the quitetest camping areas on he planet ...seen the view from maurry mountain dig ?? ....ohhhh yeah ...i was hoping some of the clay land form around peacock mine was similar ...hoping to find without paying..but either way ...im sure your stone easilly paid for the day and then some ..check the 650 k chunk above on e=bay....daaaaammmmm ....hear there are some free diggins around there ...

Dation
June 25, 2005, 13:43
Originally posted by ggiilliiee
dation...you lucky dog ..nice find ...was the gem firey...have any pics...would love too see it .....yes have been 51/ congelton ...mp 44 on camp creek ....white fir ...home of randonite...he he..hamton butte and all around the area ..what an awsome area for minerals ...and one of the quitetest camping areas on he planet ...seen the view from dig ?? ....ohhhh yeah ...i was hoping some of the clay land form around peacock mine was similar ...hoping to find without paying..but either way ...im sure your stone easilly paid for the day and then some ..check the 650 k chunk above on e=bay....daaaaammmmm ....hear there are some free diggins around there ...

The fire opal was found by my friend not me. I just found some little peanut and under sized ones. That still was a fun trip. I went to maurry mountain with my dad and brother and we were skunked. The only rocks we found were about the size and shape of a silver dollar pancake(not useable).

ggiilliiee
June 25, 2005, 17:45
peanut size pieces still worth $$$$ per carrot...ya the maury stuff is hard to find ...dang stuff looks so much like shale that unless you have water and good sun it looks just like leverite..very subtle colors...and you cant beat the view there .another good spot is at eagle rock heading in on 380 turn right directly after the pinacle ..bear left 1 mile to rd that goes straight up bear left and 100 yds is a seam at the top of the hill moss/dendritic rhyolite conglomerate that is awesome ..man have you noticed the scorpian hatch over there ...crap more than ive ever seen this year...gotta watch out dammit them things will bite..he he they seem to have a prefference for hormel chili instead of human flesh though ....he he :)

Windustsearch
June 26, 2005, 22:13
Leverite, LOl. Us archaeologists prefer to classify it by size attributes. LFR, MFR, and BFR.

I dont (unfortunately) live neaqr Succor creek. I live in the Seattle mayhem and must drive untold miles most weekends to keep from going insane. I grew up in the Spokane area.

ggiilliiee
June 27, 2005, 11:47
got kennewick ???he he ..looked up the burke ..very nice.. have to plan a trip there one day .are you an archaeologist??....

Windustsearch
June 27, 2005, 19:24
Yup, it wont get you rich, but its a fun job.

Bwana John
June 28, 2005, 09:39
....are they usually found in igneous or clays like the opals ??My favorite xtls usually come from metamorphics.

LeveriteI thought that ment you needed a BF lever to pry it out!

Us archaeologists prefer to classify it by size attributes. LFR, MFR, and BFR.
Pebbles, cobbles, and boulders? Thats OK Windustsearch, us geologists usually refer to your stuff as "overburden".:biggrin:

Sword of Laban
June 28, 2005, 16:51
giilliiee, Paulina is going to be our first family vacation ever, stressed out and the family deserves something better than a overnighter once in a while and day trips to the beach. We are extremely amateur rock hounds but my 10 and 7 year old as well as my wife would gladly spend day’s looking for “treasures” we even have a small two-barrel tumbler. Have any suggestion as to the best place to set up camp to optimize our three days in the area? We do have a four wheeler. fnfalg1@hotmail.com

Windustsearch
June 28, 2005, 19:54
Hey Sword of Laban, did you ever get out to find any rubber boas? If not, are you near the amity hills?

Sword of Laban
June 29, 2005, 16:13
Windsearch, I did look with the family on Saturday, we may have been too high, Wildcat Mt about 6500 - 7000 feet at the base of hood. We did some clearcut searching and drove the roads, dusk to dark, it cooled down pretty quickly so I figured they would stay put after that. I've driven past Amity lots of times but I live in Gladstone or happy rock as the locals call it. Looks like we are heading out this weekend after all down to the Volcanic National Monument in central Oregon, Paulina area. First time camping there though I have driven through it before around the Jurrasic. I assume we will have diamondbacks, anything else I should keep my 2 year old from?

Dation
June 29, 2005, 17:49
Sword of Laban-- Are you staying at the Paulina lake campgrounds? I have been to Paulina lake and it is a really beautiful lake. I haven't stayed the night there but I have stayed at the campground by ochoco reservoir. I am a member of (OAMS) Oregon Agate and Mineral Society and it's the oldest rock club in the US (1933). Here is the website if any are interested OAMS (http://www.oregonagate.org/) .

Sword of Laban
June 29, 2005, 18:07
Wow thanks, the wife must have a flush toilet so that limmits my locations by a huge margin. I'll take a look, we dont know much just pick up some things here and there and keep our eyes open. Naturally we can use all the help we can get.

Windustsearch
June 29, 2005, 23:41
Bwana John, "overburden." I know it man, thats how are geoarch guy thinks, Lol. There are alot of archaeologists out there that just dont get the importance of site/landform formation.

Sword of Laban, after dark is when you get them at this time of year. They can be found on the mt Hood rd., sometimes up to a dozen or so a night. 10pm -about 1am. If temps stay above about 59 you are good to go. I'dsay stay under about 3000 feet, maybe more like 1500 or so. They get up there in elevation but are not as commonly found as at lower elevations.

ggiilliiee
June 30, 2005, 08:40
sword ya may have looked at ths already ...good info (http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Newberry/framework.html)

Sword of Laban
June 30, 2005, 11:55
Thanks Giillee, I did, great info. Looks like a delay in departure after all, wife just came down with a stomach flu. I will make it this month but so much for my long weekend trip. At least I'll miss the crowds I guess.:shades:

I was wondering if we were up too high. Windsearch, I'm guessing after a sunny day they take advantage of the heat radiating from the road. We will try it later and lower.

Windustsearch
June 30, 2005, 21:34
Sword, those guys wont sit in the road, they will move across it with as much speed as they can muster. 90% or more that move like that and are found on roads will be juveniles, the adults dont move around as much. They look alot like a large pine needle (same color) in the headlights so you really have to go slow and keep your eyes peeled. Once you see one or two you are in the zone. Cruise that same small area back and forth and you should do alright. Once you get into them you will notice thateven if you are turning around aftern an eighth of a mile, you will find some that have gotten nearly all the way across in that short time span. Good luck!

Sword of Laban
July 01, 2005, 13:41
Now that will help a lot, I was looking for something a little bigger.

Windustsearch
July 01, 2005, 21:41
For adults check the hills surrrounding the willamette valley. Southern exposures with rocks, tin or boards. Especially in creek canyons. If temps are over 75 or so they will go under ground. 65-70 is perfect rock flipping weather.