PDA

View Full Version : batt recharge in the field

ggiilliiee
June 20, 2005, 16:39
this may be old news but if you need to recharge in the field i found the walkway lights solar type are a great source for power when none is available..drop your rechargable batts into the unit and set her out in the sun..not only does it get your batts up ...but makes a great small area light at night ..and they usually come with ni cads in them

Muggzy
June 21, 2005, 06:29
Interesting idea...

What size batteries are in the solar lights?

ggiilliiee
June 21, 2005, 11:59
hey muggzy...the batt will probably vary but the ones in the set of 4 / for 12 bucks at wally world were 2300 amp hour AAs...panasonics..(batts are worth what i paid for the whole shebang....two in each of the 4 lights ...but i think the batt holder could be used for aaa/c/d/...9v with modified leads from soar cell....i just took off the top of the unit and set it on the dash or whereever looks like a 2 inch high flyin saucer ...look for the white led ...i ended up with yellow ..but are more than enough to see by ...and its free .....he he ;)

Muggzy
June 21, 2005, 12:41
OK..Thanks for the idea.

I have a plan ...now:wink:

xtremerange
June 22, 2005, 14:13
I have used solar powered battery rechargers before. The commercial ones I used were bulky, designed to accomodate a D battery. A few years ago they didn't have any smarts in them, no voltage cutoffs so you don't overcharge, etc. Sort of a set it but don't forget it piece of equipment. Not that rechargeable batteries are expensive in the grand scheme of how much everything else costs.

No warm and fuzzy LED to tell you that everything was working and electrons were flowing but as long as I made sure the batteries touched the contacts it worked well.

Treborer
July 18, 2005, 23:00
For going out and about you can base equipment around AA batts, small radio ,flashlights.

Since the Sun doesn't always shine enough, you might need a beefy flexable panel.

These people offer some reasonable items:http://www.ctsolar.com/

:)

55bird
July 19, 2005, 17:17
For those cloudy days,
http://www.aladdinpower.com/

:wink:

falstg58
July 23, 2005, 12:03
don't mean to hijack this thread, but

Does anyone know where I can find a solar charger for a car batt?

ggiilliiee
July 23, 2005, 14:54
american science and surplus ...also carries some .... (http://theepicenter.com/solar_panels_and_chargers.html)

Treborer
July 23, 2005, 22:28
Originally posted by falstg58
don't mean to hijack this thread, but

Does anyone know where I can find a solar charger for a car batt?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check EBAY, VW makes a first class unit that provides three watts, and has suction cups to stick to windshield-effective angle, Diode etc.

They ship one with each of thier cars-so some kinda surplus market there.

Super deal.-bought mine 2 years back , may have changed.

I bought three on Ebay at less than $20.00 each.
:D