PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast Surf Fishing

owlcreekok
June 09, 2005, 17:15
I fished the Atlantic coast surf a lot, way back when. Have gotten started back fishing on the surf, here in Texas. Mostly I go to Bolivar, High Island. Anyone else fish in the surf ? Around the Gulf ? Anywhere? The water is pretty skinny a long way out along where I go. Some say ya hafta get all the way past the farthest bar to get in the reds very much. Some say not. I know for a fact they are caught regularly from 100 yds off the hill to past the last bar. I am working on replacing some older reels and maybe finally getting another stick or two. Using a Penn 650 on a 10 ft rod, and a Diawa 9000 on a 12 footer. Thought about getting a 14 ft rod. I once had one but never got to the point I could load it in a cast, so I sold it. Long distance casting takes a lot of practice. That skill,,I am getting back into the form of,,,,slowly. I tried wading out,,,waaaay out to drop bait. That sucks. You can't wade far enough to really just "drop" it, (I can't anyway) and you can't make a real cast in a$$ deep water. Besides that, I have been bumped while 200 yds from the hill by something that sure as he** was not afraid of me. Twice. No sense in becoming part of the food chain while trying to harvest some of it.

Next line of BS,,,er,,, topic. THOSE DAMN HARDHEAD CATFISH ! Sometimes I would like to fish with smaller bait and rigs. Like for Pompano, Whiting, Croaker, etc. Well, those dang hardheads will not leave me alone ! Anyone got a pointer on how to avoid those bastages !?!?!?!?!? Mostly kidding there, I know there is no way to stop them. IIRC TNT is not on the approved list,,,,yet.

Hoping to spur up a few more fun conversations 'round here. Seems a lot of the forums gettin' a little fiesty of late. Must be the moon or sumpin' !?!?

J

hydrotx
June 09, 2005, 18:25
Use to do alot of surf/pier fishing down around Corpus. Headed out to Bob Hall pier or the Copano Pier around midnight or so with bait, beer, chair and a G19. Have a picture of me and a monster black drum I'll have to scan in. Lots of fun when the Spanish Mackerel were running.

I understand about the damn hardheads, weren't even useful as cut bait.

I miss that solitude sometime....

owlcreekok
June 09, 2005, 18:38
Interesting you should mention that pier. I have never been to it, don't have a clue right where it is. I have heard of it, and found a tidbit today on it at a fishing board I just joined. Here's the gist of what I found.

Well I have bad news on Bob Hall, I work for the engineering firm that is associated with the project on the restoration and update on the pier. And, as it stands right now the contractor working on the pier and the commisioner in charge of the pier, cannot come to an agreement on the pier. I know last week, the engineer working on the project had to draw up some other plans concerning the work on the pier. The contractor was unprepared and, in my opinion, not that knowledgable on the proper way on how to fix the pier. Currently there is no set date on the reopening of Bob Hall Pier, but if I hear anything I will post up.

The guy posted this on 6/05

There were a lot of nice piers on the NC coast. Some were way out into the water. Far enough to make a lot of interest in fishing for King Mackerel from the end. Spent a lot of time on them. Must be the karma, hydrotx. I would go about midnight till dawn. Lawn chair, beer, S&W 686 . :eek:

When the spot were running, we'd put on a four hook bottom rig and haul them in till our arms hurt !

I told my wife last weekend, too bad I didn't a few mil laying around. Build a 600 yd pier on Bolivar and either make a killing or have a ball going belly up !

wt
June 10, 2005, 11:06
Besides that, I have been bumped while 200 yds from the hill by something that sure as he** was not afraid of me

It has been several years since I have been to Bolivar (my best friend studied marine biology at A&M in Galveston), but I remember there being a pretty healthy shark population in that area. I caught a 4 foot shovel nose shark there once with my bass rig (14lb test line with a wire leader). I was in water only waist deep but was at least 100 yards from shore when I got it close enough in to figure out what it was. I gotta admit it kind of freaked me out a little having a big toothy critter rolling around in the water next to me. I slowly backed up to the beach with it and some asian guy begged me to give it to him.

Cummins_4x4
June 10, 2005, 16:15
Matagorda Island is great fishing! You can drive like 23 miles from the start. No one out past 15 miles normally. We take 2 4x4's, chains cable and tow strap. Haven't needed them, but there is cool stuff to see way up the island or peninsula whichever it is. You need a beach permit to start out. Here's a link:
http://www.matagordabay.com/page2.htm
This is remote enough that I enjoy myself there. Fishing is great! Really great.First 5 miles or so is maintained as a road. Don't hang there for the good fishing.Or you can take the ferry to Matagorda Island State Park. Very remote, very good fishing, I advise a 2 wheeled beach cart for fishing gear and a bunch of drinks. Ferry will not wait for you! They make this very clear, so go prepared.

wt
June 13, 2005, 09:31
Hey Cummings 4X4,

regarding the beach permit at Matagora island, do they allow ATV's? My wife and I are planning a trip down there sometime this summer.

owlcreekok
June 13, 2005, 09:48
Seeing your post question to Cummins 4x4 reminded me to go check the board on the surf fishin'. A guy posted that Bob Hall Pier is slated to open June 15.

FWIW

I was foolin around with the family at Galveston yesterday. (no fishin', just wasting time) and the water was BEAUTIFUL green all the way to the shore break. However, it was so full of weed sometimes it looked like floating islands. Sure hope the onshore wind will let up and the weed will go away soon. I tried to fish last weekend in that crap on Bolivar. Usual result. No surprise there. Surf was FULL of bait. My luck. Plenny bait, no fishing conditions.

Cummins_4x4
June 13, 2005, 10:30
wt I don't remember if they do or not. You should be able to get info on the link I posted. Oh I did forget to mention bring ALL the anti bug juice you can find. It was fun, but mosquitos are bad there.

calavera
June 13, 2005, 17:27
My dad used to fish in the surf along the coast between High Island and Sabine Pass back about thirty years or so ago, but stopped after a stingray stung him on the ankle. My brother in Beaumont does it every now and then (surf fishes, not getting stung).

hydrotx
June 16, 2005, 20:30
Here is one from a few years back off the pier at my (then) house.

owlcreekok
June 16, 2005, 22:07
Safe to assume that fish made objections to a siesta on the pier ?

My arms ache just lookin at that behemoth.

The fish, your fargin' trolls, the FISH !

:]

Oh, 'scuse me. I fergot. Not many trolls here. :angel:

Genteel forum and all !:biggrin:

tiredoldlion
June 17, 2005, 13:19
...........Is that a Black Drum in post #10????

Sig220
June 17, 2005, 13:43
Yep

hydrotx
June 19, 2005, 10:01
Originally posted by tiredoldlion
...........Is that a Black Drum in post #10????

It certainly is, after I got him on the dock we spent a fair amount of time panting at each other, snapped the photo and back into the water he went.

zack taylor
June 20, 2005, 00:54
Man

That fish looks really pissed off.

Zack

P.S. Good thing you threw him back, they aren't very tasty.

Jon Frum
June 20, 2005, 09:11
I just got back after a week at St. George Island, Florida, caught a few Trout on live shrimp. Surf fishing was a little wacked after the tropical storm last weekend.

owlcreekok
June 24, 2005, 16:28
Let this slip a long time. Just saw on the Breakaway Board that the Bob Hall Pier opened last Saturday at 0800 hrs. A few reports of reds off the pier, but that's about all I saw. (Didn't look around for more info, prolly is out there somewhere.)