PDA

View Full Version : Armadillo

Plain George
May 21, 2005, 08:13
Over the years and various sources I have seen recipes for cooking Armadillo.
At first I thought it was a joke, but I guess folks do eat the critters.
I have no interest in cooking one, or even cleaning one, BUT
I am curious HOW one goes about getting the creature out of it's shell..
Skinning it !! What amount of meat is on a full grown armadillo?

Windustsearch
May 21, 2005, 08:51
Dont know, but that is the only animal besides a tame ape that is a vector for leprosy, I'd steer clear of them.

Cummins_4x4
May 21, 2005, 09:33
Preparing for Cooking

It might surprise some people but armadillos are edible and, in fact, are quite tasty when properly prepared. If it is to be
eaten, the armadillo is best taken by shooting in the head or by catching and breaking the neck. As soon as possible after
taking the armadillo, skin from the underside by using a sharp knife and splitting the skin from just in front of the anal opening
to the neck, taking care not to puncture the abdominal cavity. Peel the animal out much as you would a squirrel or rabbit and
remove the entrails carefully cutting around and removing the anal portion intact. Remove all fat from under the front and
back legs of the carcass and wash completely. It is a good idea to soak the quartered pieces or whole carcass for 24 hours
in water with one half cup of salt added.

Fried

Place the frying-size pieces in lightly salted water and boil until tender (usually 20 to 30 minutes). After cooling remove Pieces,
pepper, cover with flour, and place in a heavy skillet with melted shortening. Brown both sides, cover and cook slowly 20 to
40 minutes over a medium fire. If gravy is desired, use a full tablespoon of flour in a cup of water or juices from boiling the
pieces; pour this into the skillet, salt and pepper to suit taste, and stir until it is the desired thickness. Add water or broth if
needed.

Barbecued

Prepare the carcass by soaking overnight in salted water in refrigerator. It can be barbecued whole or cut into frying-size
pieces. If cut into pieces, you might want to lightly brown these in butter before barbecuing. Place whole animal or pieces in
covered pan with water and boil for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, salt and pepper (using plenty of black pepper),
put into shallow pan, baste lightly with mixture of melted butter, liquid hickory smoke, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover
entire pan with aluminium foil and cook slowly in oven for approximately one hour, basting with sauce at 20- minute intervals.
If you have a favourite barbecue sauce, add it after cooking and place the meat back in oven until oven cools.

Armadillo can be prepared in other ways, such as in a stew, but these are two methods which have proven to make a
succulent dish.

'TUDE
May 21, 2005, 19:22
Jerry, another thing people don't know is that there are a few different flavors of meat as well as light and dark meat in an armadillo. Kinda like a snappin turtle. Good eatin just like chicken.

1stSSPZ
May 28, 2005, 12:46
My Grampa grew up on a ranch here in West Texas. Said back in the 30's (Depression, don't cha know) they ate them all the time. Called em Hoover Hogs (I assume in reference to the Pres many blame for watching the depression happen without taking any action)!Hoover Hogs