PDA

View Full Version : Need Saltwater Sportfishing Recommendations

perdurabo
May 16, 2005, 14:11
I've discovered I need to take some vacation time, about a week or so, this summer, preferrably before the end of July. Ive already got hunting trips planned in the fall, so I was thinking about some salt water fishing someplace that would be an interesting vacation spot anyway. I live in Texas, and I've done enough Gulf Coast fishing... I'm a lot more interested in doing some fishing in the pacific ocean, which Ive never had much opportunity to do before.

I'd specifically like to do some tuna fishing... big albacore and yellowtail and the like. I wouldnt mind hetting into some wahoo or marlin either. I've heard theres a lot of good tuna fishing off San Diego and northwestern Mexico, but apparently the best season for those is in the early fall, not early summer. Another option might be Hawaii. Fishing out of Oahu on a 1-3 day trip would be great as I'd still have time do explore the island and visit Pearl Harbor. I've also heard British Columbia and Alaska are great for salmon fishing in the early summer.

Anyone have any recomendations on good pacific saltwater fishing trips that can be put together with relatively little advance warning? Any warnings or caveats?

addecus
May 16, 2005, 22:35
If you would be vacationing in Hawaii, I'd be willing to take you out for a day of tuna fishing. I fish the windward side of the Big Island (Hilo) you might be more familiar with the leeward side (Kona)for its Marlin fishing. Just think, you do a free trip live baiting or trolling in Hilo, then travel to Kona and set up a charter over there. Maybe a helicopter trip to see an erupting volcano in between. The only thing I might be interested in is if I were ever in your neighborhood, would you take me deer hunting?

FTW2012
May 17, 2005, 02:23
Castro's Fish Camp, Baja Mex. is a great place to go.

WWW.MEXFISH.COM

Tell Fernando the Kugel family says ola' We have a bungalow there
You will have a great time, meet good people & catch LOTS of fish

FTW2012
May 17, 2005, 02:26
Originally posted by addecus
If you would be vacationing in Hawaii, I'd be willing to take you out for a day of tuna fishing. I fish the windward side of the Big Island (Hilo) you might be more familiar with the leeward side (Kona)for its Marlin fishing. Just think, you do a free trip live baiting or trolling in Hilo, then travel to Kona and set up a charter over there. Maybe a helicopter trip to see an erupting volcano in between. The only thing I might be interested in is if I were ever in your neighborhood, would you take me deer hunting?

Hey, I have some of the best deer & elk country in all of Idaho!
I'd take you up on an even swap fishing for hunting!

Bwana John
May 17, 2005, 08:17
East Cape, Baja California Sur, Mexico, or a long range charter out of San Deigo to Islas Revillagigedo, 300 miles SSW off the tip of Baja.

FTW2012
May 17, 2005, 12:49
Originally posted by Bwana John
East Cape, Baja California Sur, Mexico, or a long range charter out of San Deigo to Islas Revillagigedo, 300 miles SSW off the tip of Baja.

Exactly! Castro's is on East Cape, a couple of hours south of Encinada

Sig220
May 17, 2005, 14:35
Or book a trip fishing south of the Louisiana/Mississippi boarder in the chandilier islands. It has rave reviews for wade fishing there.

huntnfish
May 20, 2005, 00:28
If you go to Alaska fishing for salmon in July do not miss taking a charter for
halibut($175) a day.The best place is Homer,with some damn fine scenery
on the drive from Anchorage.