PDA

View Full Version : Shark Recipes

owlcreekok
May 14, 2005, 19:52
We spent a nice half day at the beach today. Much needed, been too long. I halfheartedly fished, caught a buttload of hardhead catfish (insert profanity here) and one nice, 2 ft Blacktip Shark. His remains are in the fridge, steaked and soaking in milk. I have no idea where I got the notion to soak it in milk. I boiled some in milk once, to loosen the hide. Then fried it. Too long ago and too many cerveza's have passed. :confused:

Who knows a good way to prepare this fish? Gettin' kinda hungry, I am.

hydrotx
May 14, 2005, 20:28
We usually soaked them in milk to get rid of any fishy type odor and then dusted it with a blackening powder and pan fried it. The blackening powder is made up as follows:

3T Paprika
4 t Cayenne
2t turmeric
2t dry mustard
2t garlic powder
2t onion powder
2t white pepper
2t black pepper
1t ground cloves
1/2t marjoram
1/2t thyme
1/2t oregano
2t salt

T = tablespoon
t - teaspoon

owlcreekok
May 14, 2005, 20:48
How did ya deal with the skin? Sharp knife while raw? Gonna hafta soak it till tomorrow PM if I do your recipe. Lacking some ingred's. Looks worth the wait!

Thanks Hydrotx!

hydrotx
May 14, 2005, 21:15
Yep, we fillet them first with a cheap knife since the skin is tough as hell and will trash any knife in short order.

Gotta hate them hard heads, at least when you catch a gaff top they are sort of edible. Where were you fishing at? I use to be on the Texas Gulf for my fishing.

owlcreekok
May 14, 2005, 21:35
We ususally pull off the hwy about a mile west of where Meacham's Pier used to be on Bolivar. If ya don't know where that is, 'zackly, it's just out of High Island. I am told that Hwy 87 used to go all the way to Sabine Pass til a storm washed it out a few years ago. The best fishin for Reds is said to be along the washed out stretch where 87 used to be. I don't have 4wd right now, so I can't access it. Not a family area in parts. referred to as the "Nude beach". The nudies ARE there. All the nekkid ones I ever run up on over there should keep there rags on. YUUUUCCCKKK !

homelandprotector
May 19, 2005, 00:39
Hey Jerry, How did that shark turn out???, I was going to post when you posted the recipe question, but all I can say is that I have never had any shark that was worth eating, (except Thresher shark,almost like sword fish) all the ones I have tried were mushy, fishy, oily and yucky. When I was a kid, my dad had a commercial fishing boat and we ran out of Marina Del Rey, down in LA, mostly crab & lobster trapping, but we caught a heck of allot of fish and sharks in the traps. It was sure was fun, I miss the ocean.

Bob

BTW, English Mike has you beat on the Riffle Raffle. 5 tickets! :D

owlcreekok
May 19, 2005, 07:31
That shark was GOOOOOOOOOD ! I had soaked it almost 24 hrs in the fridge, immersed in 2% milk. I was way short on spices to do your recipe, hydrotx, and I hadda do something with it. I had ribeyes and chicken breast on the grill that evening. I took a hodgepodge of spices, garlic, seasoned salt, cayenne and cilantro, (WTF else?) with copious butter, all on my tinfoil hat. Slapper 'er on the grill. Dayum! mighty fine fixin's ! Shopping for a new reel now ! :biggrin:

I gotta go look at the Riffle Raffle thread. I am keeping a sheet of paper with everyone's name and ticket count. Got to watch for someone editing to increase
ticket qty.