PDA

View Full Version : Fiddleheads

JohninVT
May 07, 2005, 06:18
Made roast duckling, wild rice and steamed fiddleheads last night for dinner. Mmmmmmnnnnnnnnn.....yummy.

ONG
May 08, 2005, 04:49
Sounds great. Fellow gave me a pack of turtle yesterday. If the Tweeter doesn't want to bake if for dinner. I may find some fiddle heads and ramps. Try something new.

owlcreekok
May 09, 2005, 10:03
Okay, I can't stand it. WTF is a fiddlehead? A ramp?

John, ONG, ya KNOW there's gonna be smart-alecks, but I is a serious child, wantin ta know!?

:?

And for all y'all without the 'nads ta ask, :tongue:

homelandprotector
May 09, 2005, 10:36
Originally posted by owlcreekok
Okay, I can't stand it. WTF is a fiddlehead? A ramp?

John, ONG, ya KNOW there's gonna be smart-alecks, but I is a serious child, wantin ta know!?
And for all y'all without the 'nads ta ask, :tongue:

Yeah, what the heck is a fiddlehead? I could not stand it either. Here ya go owl, > http://www.wild-harvest.com/pages/fiddlehead.htm

Nickle
May 09, 2005, 11:10
Fiddlehead Ferns. A genuine Woodchuck delicacy.

(When I say Woodchuck, I don't mean the furry little Marmots, I mean native Vermonter)

owlcreekok
May 09, 2005, 11:21
HEY! Those look tasty! Wonder how they'd do if cooked up with some fatback and a side of cornbread?

I TOLD ya someone would smart off!!!!:biggrin:

Nickle
May 09, 2005, 11:35
They'd probably taste similar to mustard greens, collard greens or dandelion greens.

55bird
May 21, 2005, 21:26
Is it just yankee food or can us shooters down south find em too?

JohninVT
May 22, 2005, 06:04
Dunno if they grow down South. They are only around for a couple weeks in the early Spring up here. Then the ferns uncurl. Like Nickle said....it's a Woodchuck delicacy. Think super mild Asparagus crossed with snap peas and you'd be close on the taste.

Blackmore
May 31, 2005, 16:31
Originally posted by 55bird
Is it just yankee food or can us shooters down south find em too?

I think so. I first had them in Maine and have since harvested them in New Hampshire. Technically they're Ostrich Ferns.

John is right on the money about their similarity to asparagus. I like 'em steamed and buttered with some lemon.