PDA

View Full Version : 4 Legged Bandits

liquidassassin69
March 25, 2005, 19:18
Racoons that is. The annoying suburban terrorists are everywhere. The little bastards keep getting into the trashcans and leaving garbage everywhere. How can I get rid of the stupid little things? I've shot many of them with a high powered pellet gun and all they do is flinch and give me a dirty look. I vividly remember my mom shooting one numerous time with a pellet gun and he continued to saunter away as if nothing was happening. I tried trapping them, but somehow they figured out how to get out of a the trap. The trap was a box trap with the double doors. City animal control won't come out and remove them. I found out today to even trap them I need to have a permit!! Why the hell do I need a permit to trap a nuisance animal on my property? Shooting them is kinda out b/c I live the suburbs and I'm sure a 45acp at 1am would not go over very well with the neighbors. I would really like to avoid killing them, but I really hate cleaning up the mess. How reselient are they when you move them to a new area? If trapped it with a permit would it come back? The everglades are 5 min from my house and if I released it there would it come back? If I have to dispatch of them I would like to do so humanely as possible. e.g. no anti-freeze etc.

PS Anyone think a 22. would wake a neighbor up? There are houses about 50 feet in either direction.

Pro-Pain
March 25, 2005, 20:58
was about to suggest the .22 short too! as quiet as a pellet gun but stronger

Sgt_Gold
March 25, 2005, 21:22
I was discussing this exact same thing with an LEO friend of mine. She informed me that she thought .22 would be fine on a racoon until one of them almost made it through a hail storm of 9mm. Go for the head shot.

Da Nerd
March 25, 2005, 21:27
While coon hunting long ago.. my friend shot a coon in the fork of a tree two times with a .22 coon never came out of the tree or even looked like he was hurt, I shot him once with a 32-20 and he was dead.. after skinning him we saw two clean bullet wounds that went clear thru the major part of his body.
Tough lil buggers.

redrum007
March 26, 2005, 00:15
.22 short is loud when compared to a .22 CB long. I use the CB's in a bolt and it makes the pellet gun sound like a 9mm. And yes go fer the head. Also have heard that you can trap them if you drill a hole in a piece of wood big enough round for their paw/hand and put nails in at an angle. Then you wad up some tin foil or other sparkle item and drop it in the hole, the coon will reach in to grab it but won't let go of the item. And since you have nails there it catches the hand and keeps em there or so they say. Try it, after all what have you got to lose and you may get a better shot.

liquidassassin69
March 26, 2005, 20:48
Is 22 long subsonic the same as 22 cb long?

Jon Frum
March 26, 2005, 20:58
Originally posted by liquidassassin69
Is 22 long subsonic the same as 22 cb long?

No, the CB operates off the primer. You would need a suppressor to make the subsonic quiet. A CB will penetrate a medium thick paperback book-not a toy.

I have a 9mm suppressor and it makes a standard 9mm sound like a .22, a subsonic 9mm round sounds like a pneumatic nail gun when fired through it. A 9mm subsonic round sounds like a regular round without the suppressor. A subsonic round does not excede the speed of sound but the gases from the powder do. The suppressor quiets the gases but not the sonic crack of a non-subsonic load.

I hope this makes sense.

boman
March 26, 2005, 22:04
Wack them with a 22 short or standard velocity long rifle. I use a lot of cb longs and they won't guarantee a coon kill if head shot---have bounced a couple off coon skulls---definitely want a head shot so they don't run off and die in the neighbors yard. I nusiance trap, snare, kill etc. around here and have found that the "permit" isn't necessary if you don't draw attention to what you're doin.

JoeLad
March 26, 2005, 22:27
The only dealings I had with racoons was living on the Isle of Palms, SC back in '93. We didn't shoot them, we'd run them over.
It would be early morning (0400) and we'd be driving hungover and blearyeyed on the way to Charleston NSY in North Charleston. There were no streetlights on the island. We'd see beady eyes in the roadway at the last second, and THUMP! It was like running over a treetrunk.
Those suckers got big! Much bigger than cats, bigger than most breeds of small dogs. Fearless too. We'd run out and try to chase them from the trash, they'd just bare their teeth and hiss.

JoeLad:D

BUFF
March 27, 2005, 02:04
Originally posted by redrum007:

"Also have heard that you can trap them if you drill a hole in a piece of wood big enough round for their paw/hand and put nails in at an angle. Then you wad up some tin foil or other sparkle item and drop it in the hole, the coon will reach in to grab it but won't let go of the item. And since you have nails there it catches the hand and keeps em there or so they say."

Ah, yes. "Where The Red Fern Grows." Mrs. Paris, the librarian at Canyon Rim Elementary, read the whole book to us, one chapter at a time, while I was in the fourth grade.

CCI Mini Caps, a CB cap put up in a Long case, is nearly silent out of a rifle barrel. I have my 10/22's scope zeroed for it at 50 feet.

JohnnyMac
March 27, 2005, 19:55
CB Caps do have powder in them (at least the RWS, CCI and Remington ones I've used). Usually 29 grain slug going 450-600 fps, depending on brand. I can't reccomend the Remingtons because they were very erratic, with some almost as loud as a standard velocity 22 LR. The RWS were the best, CCI were pretty good. Good for squirrels and crows out to about 25 yards. Don't think they'd do too well on coons, though, as I have seen .22 Shorts bounce off of a coon's noggin.

As for safety, a .22 CB Long at 35 yards will penetrate vinyl siding+R19 insulation+drywall+wallpaper. AMHIK...

Another alternative is "cat sneeze" load for .30 cal bolt-actions. You charge say a .30-30 case with 3-4 grains of Bullseye (or other fast-burning pistol powder) and load it with a lubed pure-lead ball of the proper caliber. If done correctly, it will be as quiet as the .22 Short, but much deadlier. Google for more info.

Treborer
April 01, 2005, 21:15
One shot at O'dark -thirty if all else is quiet following, is never heard. Just make no sound after at all.

If the coon thrashes and Gnashes some that is a natural sound, like a cat fight.

A followup shot delivered for humane reasons will frighten the weak dicks who are your nieghbors.

You will lose your liberty.

Get trashcans with locking handles.

No Coon is worth your liberty.:p

Scott V2
April 02, 2005, 07:10
I had coons for pets as a kid. If you want to not draw attention, use a good live trap baited with sardines. You will be trapping them forever! Be careful about them buggers, especially in the South, they can be rabid. Use a good pair of welding gloves if you must go near wild ones. An upright 55 gallon drum with a smooth interior will usually keep them from escaping if you put bait in the bottom.
-Scott

If you have young boys and want to read to them a good book before bed, Sterling North wrote a book about having a raccoon for a pet during WWI. A good read!

Faust
April 09, 2005, 21:17
I would start by using Google and "raccoon repellent" bacause it sounds to me
like you are not that sure about your neigbors, and how they feel about raccoons and most importantly about the use of firearms, "Treborer" has a point.
My $0.02 worth