PDA

View Full Version : My Camping Gear List. Did I forget anything?

Firestarter
March 05, 2005, 13:07
O.K. All this talk about getting outdoors and Camping has got me stoked! Here in it's entirety is my list. Could you guys help me out if you see that I have forgotten something?

Camping Gear List

Tent, Sleeping Bag, Backpack, Mats, emergency blankets, crutches
Water, Canteen, ice
Charcoal & lighter fluid, firestarter log. Canned heat
PPE: Sunscreen, insect repellant, First aid kit, Snakebite kit, prescriptions, benadryl
Lavatory: Soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, brush and hair products. Toilet paper, mirror, Coolers wet, & dry, razors, extra socks, toilet seat covers
Food, Pots and pans, Coffee, Can opener, Paper towels/ towels, hot sauce/spices, zip lock bags, aluminum foil, corkscrew
Lighters
Ice packs.
Solar shower
Chairs
Rope/ d-ring
Twine/ duct tape
Tarps
Lantern/propane/mantles/light sticks
Watch
Firearms, Ammunition, BB pistol, BB’s, co2 cartridges/slingshot/earplugs/safety glasses/ guncleaning kit.
Fishing line/pole
Lotion
Clothes
Extra shoes/sandals/rubber boots
Firewood
Axe/hatchet, saw
Cups/paper plates/plastic silverware/ Garbage bags
Compass/ binoculars
Hats
Ponchos
Fix a flat
Bungee cords
Flashlights, Whiskbroom and dustpan
Batteries
Radio?
Germex
Dishsoap
Plastic gloves
Knives/machete
Motorola radios
Riot grenade
Camera/video camera/ film/tape
Walking stick
Cash
plastic cups

workgloves
Anti bacterial wipes/baby wipes
Jumper cables
Sponges, scrubbies
Wish list:
Hiker stove
Medicine bag: camp stove
Bandages
Tourniquet
Insect bite cream
Aspirin
Eye wash/ visine
Prescriptions
Benadryl
Aspirin
Naproxen Sodium
Snake bite kit
Alcohol
Calamine lotion
Tweezers
Scissors
Fever reducer (motrin etc.)
sunglasses
triple antibiotic

spices

Did I forget anything important? :biggrin:

newfalguy101
March 05, 2005, 13:40
Kitchen sink?????? :p

Hot Diggity
March 05, 2005, 17:04
newfalguy101 said,

Kitchen sink??????

Damn, I was gonna say wash basin!

HD

'TUDE
March 05, 2005, 17:10
I didn't notice drinking water.

How long are you staying out? A week, two, a month?

Firestarter
March 05, 2005, 17:18
Originally posted by Faltitude
I didn't notice drinking water.

How long are you staying out? A week, two, a month?

water is in the top of the list. :biggrin:

I always camp near water given a choice, so water and drinking water in the context of my list is the same thing.
that being said, my main camping place that I love has chemical toilets and running water for washing up and/or drinking. I do bring my own drinking water but maybe I should add Eco-friendly dish/personal soap to my list. This way I could wash my scrambled eggs skillet in the creek and feed the fish at the same time. :rofl:

Adirondack1
March 05, 2005, 19:08
SCREW ECO-FRIENDLY ANYTHING! I'ts just more PC bullcrap! If I use dish soap I WANT it tested on Canadian rats to make sure I don't get cancer from it!
LOL!

FP1201
March 05, 2005, 21:07
I used to do a LOT of "camping" in fact ~ 300 days of the first year here in Northern New York were spent "camping"and "hikeing". The list of items taken were: poncho, poncho liner, sleeping bag w/ shell, Z-foam pad, one man tent, polypro. shirt and pants, three changes of socks and underware, two extra sets of BDU's, field jacket w/ liner, toothbrush with toothpaste, soap, razor, shaving cream, face paint, gortex pants and jacket, rubber boolt or mickey mouse boots, MOPP suit, Wooly bear jacket, shoe shine kit, 2qt canteen and pouch, para cord, bug juice/DeeT, couple MRE's and a Lowe ruck sack to carry it all in. Poggi bait was optional. Plus the a senior medics bag full of medical supplies (only adds 30 pounds to the total load)
Always carried a M16, but no ammo (on special occasions some was made available for immediate use) A Probis M9 bayonett (damn near useless in the field, but looked really cool) plus the standard load bearing gear.
After a while most of us figured out that all you really needed was a two sided space blanket, foam pad, poncho and a couple bungee cords and wha-la: instant hooch! A decient pocket knife, and a good pair of boots. FRIG all the rest!

Sound like your kind of adventure?
Go find your nearest Army recruter, tell him you want to hike and camp, then tell him to use this secret code: 11B10. He'll trip all over himself signing you up. Good luck, and enjoy!

rob080650
March 05, 2005, 23:20
Was there FOOD on the list?
tee hee,
Rob

flashx
March 06, 2005, 06:34
How bout a duese and a half to carry the stuff in !!!

Pat Adams
March 06, 2005, 07:45
A gasolene powred mickrowave oven.

Powderfinger
March 06, 2005, 18:22
Crutches???:confused:

Firestarter
March 06, 2005, 22:46
Originally posted by Powderfinger
Crutches???:confused:

Yeah, I broke my hip a couple of years ago in a freak accident. My femoral head is suffering from avascular necrosis where the bone is dying and collapsing causing some real discomfort on some days. I have waived the narcotics so far and am using Ibuprofin with alot of success. My greatest hiking days are behind me at least until I get a hip replacement or a resurfacing if my insurance and my hip are in agreement. So the crutches are on the list in case I have a bad day out camping and need them. :biggrin:

crash65
March 06, 2005, 23:31
Whistle, chem lights - you have Riot grenade, but you might carry some sort of smoke, while out and about.

Firestarter
March 06, 2005, 23:46
Originally posted by crash65
Whistle, chem lights - you have Riot grenade, but you might carry some sort of smoke, while out and about.

:rofl: the riot grenade is in case my favorite spot is already taken! PUNCH ll M-5-G in a 6 oz can that locks down the trigger when depressed.

I really have had to use one only once and that was after the word "please" was all but wasted. :rofl:

I used to go camping with some smoke but that was in my younger and more reckless days. I have since gave that up and turned to alcohol. :rofl:

crash65
March 06, 2005, 23:55
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bow:

Farmer from Hell
March 07, 2005, 23:40
I want to see you fit all that into a pack.

Hell Im trying to find stuff to leave behind.

FfH

Nitram68
March 08, 2005, 11:07
Good list. I used to camp all the time and made it a point to carry as little as possible. Now I have a wife and two little girls, I had to buy a motorhome so I could bring a toilet, shower, sink, oven, tv, etc... with us camping:( Otherwise they wouldn't go

raeldridge
March 08, 2005, 16:22
food, survival pack is on another list

Backpacking List
Clothing
1 pair sneakers/moccasins/Teva sandals - camp shoes
1 pair hiking boots (recently waterproofed)
3 pair Smartwool heavy hiker socks
1 pair wool in-camp socks (optional)
3 pair polypropylene sock liners
1 synthetic webbing belt
1 pair long pants – military fatigues type, non-cotton
3 pair underwear shorts – synthetic
1 set polypropylene long underwear
2 pair long shorts (one hiking, one in-camp)
3 t-shirts – synthetic
3 bandannas
1 knit or polarfleece hat
1 cap - wide brim
1 pair of gaiters (optional)
1 rain suit (nylon coated rain suit)
1 long sleeve polarfleece sweater or jacket
1 nylon windbreaker or light jacket – substitute with rain suit
1 set of sleep clothes, shorts, t-shirt, socks (keep inside sleeping bag)

Gear
1 tent
1 backpack
1 pack rain cover or several large trash bags
1 large towel
1 small towel (can use a bandanna)
1 pocket knife (optional)
1 emergency blanket/ground sheet/space blanket
5 safety pins (for hanging wash on pack)
20 feet of 1/8 " nylon line (parachute cord) – for clothesline
3 Lexan or Nalgene bottles
1 mess kit – large plastic mug, spoon
extra trash bags
extra Ziploc bags
clothes pins (optional)
1 hiker’s log and pen (optional)
1 - pillow (optional)
1 - seating Pad – cut up sleeping pad
1 sleeping bag in waterproof stuff sack with second plastic bag cover
1 sleeping pad – Thermarest and cargo straps to lash to pack
sun glasses
chap stick
Watch – wrist or belt
camera with film (optional)
1 headlamp (with new batteries)
1 backup LED penlight
1 whistle
1 compass
butane lighters
Toilet paper
Group first aid kit
Bug spray/goop
2 extra cargo straps
1 water purification set
1 wash basin (bottom half plastic gallon milk container or fold up)
Sewing repair kit
heavy thread heavy needles regular thread and needles
duct tape safety pins
Personal effects and toilet kit
toothpaste toothbrush biodegradable soap (Camp Suds)
comb or hair brush small mirror dental floss
Personal medical kit
advil/ibuprophen hot spot kit - moleskin and band aids
foot powder small scissors sun screen

Da Nerd
March 09, 2005, 05:35
With a name like FIRESTARTER..why all the lighters, starter log, charcoal and lighter fluid...?
:HUH?:

Treborer
March 09, 2005, 21:57
Add a Woman to the list and you'll be all set.:tongue:

Firestarter
March 09, 2005, 23:26
Originally posted by Treborer
Add a Woman to the list and you'll be all set.:tongue:

My Wife of course! Who the hell else would I have to pack the van? :rofl:

Oh Da Nerd. I will have way too many things to do then spending my time whipping out a fire plow or bow drill to start a fire. :wink:

I did read an interesting article about a guy that was trying to use ice that he had worked into a lens to try and start a fire that way, he was close but unsuccessful. I think that I know where he went wrong though, his "lens was curved inward and outward following the same direction and so really had little if any magnifying properties.

Fire from ice, neat idea but looks pretty tough to pull off.

mosbysmen
March 09, 2005, 23:52
a cork screw ? you drinking wine out there ?
as soon as you get home write down a list of all the stuff you didnt use , then next time figure out if you want to drag it along again..

Da Nerd
March 10, 2005, 02:02
IF you go to a favorite camp ground on a weekly basis and find a particular site you really like....when you leave..post a sign "NO CAMPING DUE TO FIRE ANTS"
the site will be empty when you return next friday...:D :rofl:

Powderfinger
March 10, 2005, 10:01
Originally posted by Firestarter

Yeah, I broke my hip a couple of years ago in a freak accident. My femoral head is suffering from avascular necrosis where the bone is dying and collapsing causing some real discomfort on some days. I have waived the narcotics so far and am using Ibuprofin with alot of success. My greatest hiking days are behind me at least until I get a hip replacement or a resurfacing if my insurance and my hip are in agreement. So the crutches are on the list in case I have a bad day out camping and need them. :biggrin:

Sorry to hear that. My wife has had both knees replaced and her crutches are always at the ready. The last one hasn't been succesful and she is scheduled to have a re-do. For now, she has good and bad days too. Find yourself a good surgeon, check his background and get a second opinion. Good luck.

Muggzy
March 10, 2005, 11:54
One of the darndest things I used camping,

I don't know what it was.......My little brother brought it along cause his wife
had a fit when there were bee's flying around. (allergic to bee stings)

A propane mosquito fogger? I guess that's what it was called. It ran off of propane. Man....did it lay down a fog. No bugs came around our area for the whole evening.

Anyone else heard of these things? I never used one since then.

Firestarter
March 10, 2005, 18:27
Originally posted by Da Nerd
IF you go to a favorite camp ground on a weekly basis and find a particular site you really like....when you leave..post a sign "NO CAMPING DUE TO FIRE ANTS"
the site will be empty when you return next friday...:D :rofl:

:bow: :rofl: :rofl:

Powderfinger, thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I am possibly going to try for surgery this fall. This way my wife won't have the yardwork and the housework both to contend with until I heal.

Firestarter
March 23, 2005, 22:57
My two year old has almost been trained.

Note to self: Potty chair. :biggrin:

Treborer
March 26, 2005, 19:25
Add a small tube of Vaseline, if it's still cold out ,nippy, put some on your exposed skin, below the eyes. Eskimoes use blubber.

Also I use it on the outside surface of blued firearms, and wipe off excess.

Guntests did a test with this and Rig and other popular products and found Vaseline protects better against rust than all the others, this was early 1990's

So it's cheap good for frostbite windchaffe protection, and perhaps handy for a great many things.

Don't cook with it!:) :beer:

Deltaten
March 27, 2005, 10:39
raeldridge:

That's yer "backpack" list!
How many 'bearers' do you have? :D

Like FfH sez:
"I want to see you fit all that into a pack.
Hell Im trying to find stuff to leave behind."

I don't pack THAT much in the truck! ;)

OK, I know it's a general list. Select items at need/seasonal, right? 'Till you add [a similiarly encompassing list of] food, tools, and weps as needed, you'll hafta have a deuce'n'a half to go campin' for a weekend.

Travel lite,
Paul

Firestarter
March 27, 2005, 22:09
This is not my backpack list. It is my base camp list. I have packed most of this in about two or three storage containers. It really isn't as much as it would seem at first glance.

I am camping and not "bugging" out. I also do not need an RV or a camper to enjoy the outdoors.

I would rather have it and not need it as need it and not have it. :wink:

Deltaten
March 28, 2005, 12:36
Firestarter:

Roger that!

I, too, subscribe to the "need/not have" philosophy. For me, that would be a spare roll of duct tape, and extra hank of 550 and a two-pack of Goody's headache powders. As someone posted..."if ya bring it home unused....leave it [home]the next time" (sic)

My "base camp" is my home. If'n I gotta go out long enough to need a secondary base camp...Mt. Everest, hitch-hiking to Aussi-land, roaming the dark side of the Moon....There ain't a truck big enough!;)

I tend to overpack the Ranger, but mostly with guns'n'ammo:D If I can't get it in my med ALICE, or tied on (sleep gear/lt.wt. tent/sm. tarp), it don't go.

Best,
Paul

Sword of Laban
March 31, 2005, 18:30
Yep my wife complains about all the stuff I pack. Much I don’t expect to need but if the need arises I wont be kicking myself for leaving it at home. GPS is a good tool to have around, finally got mine - not a sure replacement for proper orienteering but lots of fun.

izaakb
March 31, 2005, 23:36
kee-ripes, man.. I have a small backpack and manage quite well with it.

tent, break-down casting reel and bait, boot knife, light sleeping bag, crank-powered flashlight, bug spray, 30 ft of light rope, water pills, gps or campus, matches, couple of plastic bottles with squeeze tops, medical gauze and tape, and a GI mess kit.

everything else is overkill. catch or fish your food. best to get a good field guild for plants, lots you can eat. the fishing kit i have is a 7 ft rod which breaks down in to 7 12inch pieces and can handle up to about 8 lb trout or bass easily.

obviously, clothes and hiking footwear. i have a brimmed hat which pins up the sides. lots of padded socks. hat+socks = pillow. ball and foot powder. amazing what can happen to yer nuts when you hike a long time. ouch.

i got a really awesome hiking tent from sportmansguide.com for $25. (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=190834)
heck of a lot lighter and easier to use than the last one i had.

things like ovens are a waste of time to me. if you can't make a rock stove and cook your fish in a mess kit, you shouldn't be camping. for asswipe, you should learn good plants with nice leaves.. soap is a waste. shave your head before you go to avoid dirt and tics.

i've done 2 weeks with this gear. of course, i was in boy scouts..

dirtshooter
April 21, 2005, 23:33
Map/GPS
Oreo's
Hunting/fishing license

Please forgive me if this is posted somewhere. I didn't read every post. :)

Windustsearch
April 22, 2005, 10:15
I think the only thing you forgot was to leave some stuff at home!