PDA

View Full Version : Pesky large mouth bass

'TUDE
February 16, 2005, 16:13
All I wanted to do is catch a mess of crappie for the evening meal but no way! Derned green trash fish :tongue: wouldn't let the poor crappie bite my hook. To top it off, I had to re-spool due to the bastages taxing my little 6lb light tackle rig.
I personally think that something is out of whack on my local lake of which I speak of. I mean, Bubba is fishing about 30 yards away with powerworms and spinnerbaits and catching zip. I rig up with light tackle and toss 1/8 oz. bubble-belly roadrunners and can't keep the bass off. We aren't talking small bass either. All were 4-8lb ranges and FAT as can be.

This time of the year, bass are supposed to be lathargic and hang tight to heavy cover yet I'm catching these in open water, deep, and can't even let my roadrunner hit the bottom before getting strikes.

Oh well, another day down the drain. :biggrin:

crash65
February 16, 2005, 19:40
A day fishing, beats any day at work. Especially if you're catching.

Dog :tongue:

tigerfans2
February 16, 2005, 21:30
You are Not a nice person...............:tongue:

Carp Killer
February 16, 2005, 22:32
You were feeding the Bass what they want. I'll be going out weekend after next to see what they want too.:wink:

homelandprotector
February 17, 2005, 02:36
WOW! Faltitude thats terible, those dern trash fish! I dono if you ever ate striped bass, but that is the best fish dinner I have ever had.:D where abouts are you fishing? here in Reno Nevada we go fishing ata place called lake Pyramid, and catch super big trout.
Hope you had a good dinner!:beer:

wt
February 17, 2005, 15:58
Hey Faltitude,

I got Monday off and the weather is supposed to be in the 70's. I am thinking about heading up your way to fish the red below the dam. I've got an old grummond flat-back canoe with a 4 horse merc on the back. Where can I put in on the river? I have been on the trailrace a couple times, but do not remember it being a friendly boat launch place...

darkknight9
February 18, 2005, 00:41
I got Monday off and the weather is supposed to be in the 70's. I am thinking about heading up your way to fish the red below the dam. I've got an old grummond flat-back canoe with a 4 horse merc on the back. Where can I put in on the river? I have been on the trailrace a couple times, but do not remember it being a friendly boat launch place...

You mean, you guys arent just walking out onto the ice to go fishing????

:biggrin:

BUFF
February 18, 2005, 07:03
Guy pulls his ice fishing sled out into the middle of the ice and gets out his auger. He starts to drill his first hole and hears a voice: "There are no fish under the ice."

He looks round, sees no one, and figures it is the whiskey he drank last night. He starts drilling again. The voice returns, more insistent than the first time:
"THERE ARE NO FISH UNDER THE ICE!"

He looks around again, and clearly he can see nobody. He yells, "God, is that you?"

The voice returns: "NO, THIS IS THE ICE RINK MANAGER, AND I AM TELLING YOU, THERE ARE NO FISH UNDER THE ICE!"

Jon Frum
February 18, 2005, 14:11
Here is a 8 pounder I have caught 3 times off my dock. I let them go. The water here is 45 degrees and they are in the channels.

cliffy109
February 18, 2005, 14:58
You people are killing me.

Andy the Aussie
February 18, 2005, 17:26
Here I am stuck in suburbia and y'all are posting this stuff.......I guess the only thing I can do is go down to the shed and stroke my Ugly Stick
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
......and respool the Abu reel on it......:p :beer: :beer: :beer:

Andy <------------- Needs to fish or hunt soon or he is going to go insane...!!!:eek:

Jon Frum
February 18, 2005, 20:26
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
Here I am stuck in suburbia and y'all are posting this stuff.......I guess the only thing I can do is go down to the shed and stroke my Ugly Stick

People who do not know what an Ugly Stick is are going to wonder what is going on in that shed- I have a Rhino Rod among many others.

crash65
February 18, 2005, 21:02
Originally posted by WILD BILL

People who do not know what an Ugly Stick is are going to wonder what is going on in that shed- I have a Rhino Rod among many others.

:rofl: :rofl:

ricochet
February 18, 2005, 22:00
Poor Jeff, I feel your pain. A few weeks back I took my buddy to suffer a poor day hunting in our pond. I pulled in a few 3-4 pounders (largemouth and I released them). I then pulled in a 3-4 and put her in the cooler (he was pissed and catching nothing. I then got an 8-10 about 4' away and she broke my lime. I then brought a 7.75-8# within 5' and he cracked, he then caught a few smaller 2-3# as I sat and drank a beer or three.
All our pain was from a smallish 1 acree pond. It sucked that hunting was bad. It sucked also catching and releasing MANY 3-8# bass. My friend could not believe in 45 minutes we caught maybe 45-50# of good bass and released most. Sucks when hunting is bad. But is not really terrible when we gotta fish. Sadly we had to strip to tee-shirts to fish. It was just terribly hot (nearing 70's) and we had to keep those pesky rifles close. Sucked having poor hogs, big fish, and big perch that close.

'TUDE
February 19, 2005, 13:00
I knew my brothers here would understand my pain.
Dinner turned out good. The bass was a big hit but my home made hush puppies weren't so great. I lost my recipe and used corn bread mix instead.

On another note, I release 99% of all bass I catch. They eat good but I prefer crappie and catfish for my fries. I'll try again sometime this weekend if the rain lets up and see if Mr. Papermouth can be found.

WT, there use to be a few places you could launch easily below the damn but now I'm not so sure. Friends of mine either go to the Oklahoma side to launch or have permission on private property to do so.
Also, they seem to be discharging at a great rate right now. The places I usually fish and walk over is now at least 10 foot underwater and at a brisk current speed. Usually I can walk 2-3 miles from sandbar to sandbar down the road from me. Now my vantage point from the Hwy. 78 bridge shows not one sandbar in either direction.

wt
February 19, 2005, 13:11
Faltitude,

Thanks for the info...I guess I will just head to the Brazos below PK on Monday. I am much more familiar with this area, plus they stock trout there...