PDA

View Full Version : What to put in a buttpack?

Thrash1982
January 29, 2005, 10:12
Well, the title pretty much says it all. I recently bought an LBV and a buttpack and was wondering what people typically put in there.

1gewehr
January 29, 2005, 11:02
MREs, socks, foot powder, sewing kit, poncho, Texas Pete, cleaning and tool kit, gloves, underwear, toothbrush, etc.

Generally you put things that you really don't want to leave behind if you end up having an overnighter.
1gewehr

Artful
January 30, 2005, 00:12
Take anything that you need to

A) Survive and make it back home

B) make your mission successful

c) make your life more comfortable

This will vary for each person and his environment

but basics are water food shelter signaling comfort

assuming you have water, if you want a backup you might just throw in some of the ziplock plastic bags as they will carry liquids in an emergency.
Shelter those large garbage bags will make a shelter/poncho for you.
Food MRE or two should carry you for several days. and comfort well BIC lighter, gloves, warm hat/shade hat, dry socks, toilet paper, survival cards (reading material and solitare too!) - you should still have room for more stuff that you like.

W.E.G.
January 30, 2005, 00:15
Anything I want to put in a really secure place, and then never be able to find again.

owlcreekok
January 30, 2005, 01:01
Works for some,,,

firefuzz
January 30, 2005, 13:13
How big's your pack and how much weight can you stand? I carry a Blackhawk
LRRP buttpack and you could stuff more gear in it than you can comfortably carry. You need to break your load down into specific groups and decide the minimums you need in each group, then add luxury items. If this is your grab and run bag remember the saying: I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Some good groups might be:

Food and Water
Clothing
Tools and cleaning gear (weapon specific)
Shelter and bad weather gear
FIRE STARTING GEAR (at least 2 methods)
MEDICAL NECESSITIES
Minor repair kit (spare gun parts, duct tape, zip ties, etc.)
Spare batteries (?)
Toilet items (TP, toothbrush, etc)

I consider duct tape, zip ties, a roll of strong nylon cord and a heavy pair of insulated handle lineman pliers necessities, others may not, but my bag is packed for longer than 3 days, if necessary.

PM me for specifics, don't want to make this too long.

Rob

vfubar
February 04, 2005, 00:59
My awol bags are packed for defense against a domestic, urban, environment.
1 pair Levis, 3 pr drawers, 3 pr socks, 3 t-shirts, 1 towell, 1 mini-mag lite, 3 garbage bags. Toilet kit contains contact lens container, solution, toothpaste, toothbrush,3 disposable razors, shaving creme, soap, deoderant, condoms,and an led (red) mimi flashlite.
Every bag has a folding knife, lockback, and a 1911 pattern pistol, with extra, loaded mag.
The bag in the truck, and the three on the bikes, never come off except for re-supply; then, right back on.
As an avid motorcyclist, weather gear--i.e. rain suit, boot covers, etc, are part oof the vehicle, and never leave.
Since I seldom shave on the road, the packs are 3-14 days expandable, with a laundromat, at minimum expense, should one desire.
Go thru your day, moment by moment, and include what you need to get through it; remember always the old adage; "half the stash, and twice the cash", and you will do just fine!
I seldom leave the house with less than $500 US in cash, and tho I seldom need it, that's the essential "fanny pack" element!

Treborer
February 12, 2005, 19:46
Originally posted by owlcreekok
Works for some,,,
================================================== ======
Yes!, just don't cook with it!!:D

calavera
February 12, 2005, 22:00
Originally posted by Treborer

================================================== ======
Yes!, just don't cook with it!!:D

Or mistake it for toothpaste!

FNnuts
February 17, 2005, 06:34
I generally put a 50' length of para cord, first aid kit, small set of binocs, 1/2 roll of TP, an MRE, M16 cleaning kit in pouch with an extra .308 brush inside, and a wool watch cap inside. Sometimes more, sometimes less in the issue 3 day pack.

dadman
March 03, 2005, 07:20
Geared towards those actually in the armed forces, but the principal is the same for all: you've got to be able to move.
http://www.geocities.com/equipmentshop/combatlight.htm
http://www.geocities.com/usarmyafghangearproblems/

44echo
March 05, 2005, 18:57
One of the best items of GI surplus gear, a poncho liner, packs small, light weight and very warm.