PDA

View Full Version : MRE shelf life?

SID325
January 19, 2005, 18:28
I have about 4 cases of MRE's that I saved while I was in the Army from the early to mid 90's, only ate them when I had to, all look good, no leaking or bloating. Do you think they are still good?

Thanks, Sid
82nd ABN.

jerrymrc
January 19, 2005, 20:17
Tempature is the big factor. The hotter the shorter the life. As I remember the food is still safe, Just does not taste as good. I have had MRE's from the early 90's last year and they were ok. I think if you were to freeze a MRE it would outlast YOU! Just my two cents and that chart I remember.

Opie
January 19, 2005, 20:23
If there is no leaking packages or bloated bags they are OK. Just keep them in a place that is is kinda stable in both light and in temperature. A good place to keep them is in a closet or something like that. Hope that this helps you out.

Texas Tactical
January 19, 2005, 20:42
Some general information on MRE's - http://www.mreinfo.com

Currious about the exact date of manufacture? http://www.texastacticalgear.com/mre.php Type in your date code to find out.

Generally MRE's last longer when kept in a cool dry place, and can have a shelf life of up to about 10 years. See http://www.mreinfo.com/mre-longevity.html for more information on the correlation between storage temperature and shelf life.

l1a1man
January 20, 2005, 06:10
Be carful, during Desert Storm we were issued some that were past their shelf life and a few of the guys got sick from them.

1gewehr
January 20, 2005, 09:39
On the other hand, I have some left over from the MRE Field Trials in 1982 that are still good!!! Still have a case plus four loose meals. Ate one a month or so ago, no problem aside from this persistant desire for still more FALs! :D
I also seem to have this illusion that I will be getting an HB kit or two!?! :eek:

Stored correctly, MRE's will outlast you.
1gewehr

MACV
January 31, 2005, 17:10
I have a 34 year old LRRP Ration Im saving for when the SHTF.

Rifleman 7.62 NATO
January 31, 2005, 17:43
Originally posted by MACV

Thats funny!!!!:D

Pistolwiz
January 31, 2005, 19:27
Originally posted by l1a1man
Be carful, during Desert Storm we were issued some that were past their shelf life and a few of the guys got sick from them.

And to think that I thought they were gauranteed to provide prolonged constipation forever! :biggrin:

You always know when an MRE meal crowns.....................Ouchy!

l1a1man
January 31, 2005, 21:16
That"s funny!

I always found they start to taste like canned cat food after three weeks of eating them. I do love the green hot dogs though.

Pistolwiz
January 31, 2005, 23:03
Originally posted by l1a1man
That"s funny!

I always found they start to taste like canned cat food after three weeks of eating them. I do love the green hot dogs though.

The old C-rats were a real adventure. We'd bet on if the date was older than us before we dug 'em out of the box. But like MRE's. They always make a turd.

I actually liked to munch on the dried pork and burger patties like a cracker. And wash them down with prodigeous amounts of H2O!

Gunga Din
January 31, 2005, 23:31
I'm eating 10 or 12 year old MRE entrees. The taste is off but hot sauce helps a lot! :)

CATM Larry
February 01, 2005, 20:54
Originally posted by MACV
Good idea! Way cooler than a cyanide capsule :tongue:

Larry

familyman357
February 02, 2005, 00:50
Originally posted by Gunpartsguy

And to think that I thought they were gauranteed to provide prolonged constipation forever! :biggrin:

You always know when an MRE meal crowns.....................Ouchy!

Taking a MRE dump.... when it eventually happens.... is one of life's greatest simple pleasures. :bow: :biggrin:

ThunderGod
February 02, 2005, 10:23
I still have various entrees and such from the mid 80's and actually lived on the stuff for a semester or two while I was in tech school. One of my house-mates' father was a Colonel in the Reserves and used to bring up a coupla cases a week. About the only things in an MRE that won't last for 20+ years are the old fortified cheese spread, the little bottle of Tobasco and the peanut butter. The cheese spread seems to chemically break down, as does the Tobasco. The PB just separates into oil and something the consistency of cement. Unopened, the cookies will last until Judgement Day. And still taste gooood.:bow: