PDA

View Full Version : Homemade travel fare.

ONG
December 14, 2004, 08:02
I tried an experiment that turned out pretty tasty. I have read different times that the mountain men, when in an area that they did not want to start a fire, used to travel for days on nothing other than corn meal soaked in water. Or if they had a fire they would boil water throw in some corn meal and any meat or veggies that they had harvested along the way.

What I did was take some venison burger and dried it in a dehydrator. I then coarsely powdered it in a food processor. I boiled 2 cups of water and added the following:
1.) 1teaspoon salt
2.) 3 tablespoons cornmeal
3.) 1 tablespoon powdered venison
I boiled these until the cornmeal was almost done and then added:
4.) 1 teaspoon of dried leek
5.) 2 tablespoons of raisins

I was thinking that if you made sure the venison was free of fat before grinding, and if it was sealed up properly it should keep for years. Same with the cornmeal. A fellow could make himself some cheap, lightweight, nourishing travel rations if he every thought he would need them.

Da Nerd
December 14, 2004, 09:04
I am gonna stick to vienna sausages.....:smile:

dougjones31
December 14, 2004, 11:46
I think I would rather pick berries and eat worms than drag along that cruel gruel.

Muggzy
December 14, 2004, 11:51
Ong,

I gotta tell ya......that sounds awful! but hey! I ate snails and like them...'course they were drowned in butter and garlic

So what is the consistancy?

Could this be made into a pancake type thing or a roll/biscuit?

BlasterLP
December 14, 2004, 17:52
1 teaspoon of dried leek...........I spose this is homeade and involves a collection jar after drinking a few beers???
Maybe best not to know just where the secret ingredient comes from, lol.

sounds like a very interesting reciepe! perhaps it will be very successful and you will have the market cornered!!

let us now how it holds out, might have to try some of it sometime.

Deltaten
December 14, 2004, 18:38
ONG:

Sounds good to me! :D

Dried leek...I dunno; mebbe I can grind up some regular onion as a substitute, or use onion flakes from the spice rack??

Hell! If it works, and is palatable to a degree...why not? My mom taught me the trick for quick trail coffee:
two spoons instant, one spoon sugar, and one spoon cremora. Place in collapseable cup w/tight lid. Whip it out, fill w/water and heat. Bingo! Instant cuppa! ;)

I just might make a big pot of it for FrozenNutz III this winter :biggrin:

best,
Paul

olsarg
December 14, 2004, 22:22
try a batch of pea soup cooked thick then slow dried in oven when dry break it up or grind it up. mix with water to reuse. German field rations for about 150 years, not bad our old c rats had something simular.

ONG
December 15, 2004, 08:38
So what is the consistancy?

Did you ever eat mush? Just like that. Sort of a thick cooked cereal. I would think that you could set it in the fridge and it would set up like mush does and then fry it up for breakfast. (note to self to give that a try)

Could this be made into a pancake type thing or a roll/biscuit?

I would think you could add some flour to it and make either. I'll ask the Tweeter what she thinks.

Dried leek...I dunno; mebbe I can grind up some regular onion as a substitute, or use onion flakes from the spice rack??

That would work fine. I just purchased a dehydrator recently and am experimenting. We'll be grinding up some more deer burger in a day or two and I'm going to dry a couple of pounds instead of freezing. Figured that if you're cooking soup or chili you could simply add a handfull or two rather than thaw out a pack.

olsarg I'm going to give that a try. Wonder if you could do that with beans?