PDA

View Full Version : Forrester bangs first hog with FAL

Forrester
December 13, 2004, 11:11
I just wanted to sound off because I blooded my Imbel from Jen's first group buy several years ago.

I was in a stand just before nightfall and I can tell you the open sights pretty much suck in low light. At any rate the smallish boar sow was moving right to left about twenty yards away from me, standing shot just below and behind ear exiting neck just forward of right shoulder. Dropped her where she stood and watched her legs twitch for about ten seconds.

She was only about eighty pounds but I got a very nice back strap out of her and two good hams.

From the build to a dremel five round hunting mag., I couldn't have done it without all of you. Merry Christmas, Forrester

rob1
December 13, 2004, 11:57
"Forrester bangs first hog with FAL"
You DO NOT wanna know about the mental picture that invoked!:biggrin:
Congrats on the first kill with the FAL.

DC
December 13, 2004, 12:32
I'm curious as to what ammo you used. I plan to do my first hog hunting after deer season is over (but I did get a deer with the L1A1).

Forrester
December 13, 2004, 13:21
I used 180 gr. Remingtom soft point, I think they are called core locked. It was whatever they had at Sports authority two years ago when I tried earlier.

The ammunition functioned flawlessly when I sighted it in and did equally fine when I shot the hog.

The exit wound was not massive by any stretch, and perhaps it didn't expand much, but it did the job. Never found the slug but it looked like it exited sideways.

I wish I got some pictures, but I never think to have a camera with me.

The one thing I would like to hear some input from others about is this: is there any way to place a small bead of glow paint or something that will make the front site visible. The hog was jet black and the light was very bad so when I swung onto the creature and my front site picture was absorbed, I really had to just trust in my weld and pull the trigger.

Any insight for the FAL in low light would be appreciated. I know a scope would make a big difference, but there is something very satisfying about using roughly the same set-up that a grunt would use on the 'most dangerous" game.

Sword of Laban
December 13, 2004, 14:30
Scope mount and scope or dot sight seems to work for me. in low light irons are not one of my first picks. There was the tritium thread a while back but the bright florescent and glow paint never worked for me. Congrads on porky.

Clouseau
December 13, 2004, 16:05
" Forrester bangs first hog "

Don't get too sentimental. I hear hogs are the love 'em and leave 'em type..... Now sheep are another story............ ;)

BTW, all smart remarks aside congratulations.:beer:

Margarita Man
December 13, 2004, 22:08
Good Job.:beer:

rotty
December 14, 2004, 15:18
I use fishing jig, glow in the dark paint...comes in many different colors and is glow in the dark, durable (vinyl), and easy to use, put on a white base then your color of choice, i have seen green, orange, red and pink.
worked well for me on my handguns and shotgun.

Andy the Aussie
December 14, 2004, 15:33
Yes.....I to am guilty of allowing my mind to sink into the gutter and come up with images reminiscent to that famous scene from “Deliverance” only instead of the chubby city boy it was a real pigs squealing..... :eek: :eek: Sorry Forrester but I am sure you would expect no more from this crowd ;) . Kevin Adams maintains that sheep can be faithful but a little “clingy”...he he ha ha ha :biggrin:

As for swine and FALs (well in my case back when it was an L1A1) I shot many with a Winchester loading that used Sierra 130gn HP s. They killed like steam and were very accurate.

All the best.....and when tampering with pigs always make sure you have control of the end with teeth and tusks.... ;)

Andy :cool:

Scott S
December 14, 2004, 16:07
Nice shootin'.

Against the advice of some here on the 'Files, I tried glow-in-the-dark paint on my FAL sights for use at a night shoot. I shoulda listened. In the controlled conditions of my darkened garage the sights were visible, but after transporting and shooting during the day the sights got dirty enough that the paint simply wasn't visible. I think the better route would be a red dot sight.

drach
December 22, 2004, 03:38
Grats on the hog.

I love core lock (sp)
im surprized it didnt do much damage on yer hog.

I have never used the round in a FAL only in a ruger m77 mkII.
Ive only used it on deer.

The only draw back I could see with the round is that I needed to be sure to hit the deer in the right spot.

I didnt have to clean out the chest cavity of my last deer. I just lifted it up and poured out what was left its lungs and heart. (not much at all)

I dread to think of what would happen if I had pulled a gut shot.:uhoh:

I cant wait till next deer season now that I have my DSA STG58 :biggrin:

Huntr
December 22, 2004, 21:41
Good job!!!!!!!!! I am also happy the thread wasn't "bangs sheep with FAL!!:D :uhoh:

Congrat's again!

Huntr:fal:

Blood of Tyrants
December 25, 2004, 23:44
At any rate the smallish boar sow

Well, son, was it a boar or was it a sow or was it a hermaphrodite hog?

Forrester
December 28, 2004, 16:51
Blood you got me. Actually it was a a sow.

I guess I just got a little worked up after telling everyone I banged her. I brought the FAL because I heard pigs like it rough.

Oh, well I also ate the backstrap off said sow Sunday night. Kind of sweet and salty - left juice dribbling down my chin and even my wife joined in. But I don't think she enjoyed it as much as we did.;)

crcksht
January 27, 2005, 09:22
A Suite scope will give you better night capability. Just slide the dust cover mount on in place of your dust cover. Even without a light source on the 4x scope, the scope of great at gathering available light. You can find battery powered light sources to replace the tritium source for about $35.

I use the scope by itself sometimes when night hiking for use as a spotting scope.

Forrester
January 27, 2005, 09:59
crcksht , I was thinking along those lines as well. I just have never used a tritium type site, but I think that will be my next experiment.Forrester