PDA

View Full Version : AK trigger slap...help!


skfullgun
April 07, 2002, 18:42
I have a couple of WASR's (AK w/low cap mags) that have good triggers, an SAR 1 that has a little problem with slap, and an SAR II that slaps so bad IT HURTS! :eek:

I saw a link to a cure on here a while back, but my searches haven't been able to locate it. Short of replacing the parts, what can I do? And, what the hell causes this condition in the first place?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Skibane
April 07, 2002, 18:48
Rifleman's Guide To Fixing SAR Trigger Slap (http://blackrifle.gunsnet.net/triggerslap.htm)

19kilo
April 07, 2002, 21:53
One thing to say that the above article does not state is that the disconector is heat treated hardened. If you go off the deep end ie. Dremmel happy, you have to go really slow to avoid re-tempering the steel. All I did to fix my trigger slap on my Maadi was to file the rear tab (that the autor cut off) on the same axis as the front porttion of the piece.
Tim

blackbird
April 08, 2002, 02:44
skfullen: I'm with 19kilo. You don't have to do all of the cure for it to work. If you must Dremel, stop frequently and let it cool. Don't wait until the steel changes color or you will ruin the heat treatment and it won't last very long in service.

Sons of Liberty
April 09, 2002, 19:04
Buy a trigger set from these guys:

Red Star Arms (http://www.redstararms.com)

Timber Wolf
April 09, 2002, 19:33
My SAR 2 had wicked trigger slap when I got it. I have been trimming the disconnector tail a little at a time and it is slowly improving.

skfullgun
April 09, 2002, 19:35
I really appreciate the advise. I'll give it a try this weekend.

I mean the slap was so bad I didn't even make it through a 30 round mag before I was trying to shoot with another finger! :D

Eclipse
March 31, 2003, 12:43
Anyone know of a current website that has the AK trigger slap repair instructions listed? Above web link no longer exists.

DC
March 31, 2003, 12:49
Originally posted by Eclipse
Anyone know of a current website that has the AK trigger slap repair instructions listed? Above web link no longer exists.


http://linx310.nothingbutguns.com/

W.E.G.
March 31, 2003, 13:22
The SAR trigger slap can be improved. However, you will still experience trigger "snap."

The Century h/t/s is horrid. It actually has a slap-snap. Two whacks per shot to the trigger finger. Which sucks for a rifle which should be a real fun bullet hose.

I ground on the part of the sear that caused the "slap." I think I eliminated the slap. But, it still has a hearty "snap" when the the sear re-sets.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=503883

ILM Sniper
March 31, 2003, 13:27
Here's one that worked for my MAADI- didn't eliminate it, but reduced it to where it isn't much of a problem anymore....
Get some of that liquid rubber tool handle coating, paint on trigger about 4 or 5 layers deep. Cushions it somewhat. Worked for me

Queenie
March 31, 2003, 13:31
I just cut the rear "tab" off without removing any more material. No problems with slap now.

valc67
March 31, 2003, 14:21
If you have the extra money, the Red Star trigger set is the way to go. There not cheap, but I have found none better. Works great in my galil also.

MisterJG
March 31, 2003, 19:32
SK,
Try this site:
http://linx310.nothingbutguns.com/slapfix.htm

Hope this helps,
Jesse

madecov
March 31, 2003, 22:05
Replaced my FCG with an FSE`set from TAPCO. no more slap.
I think the set was under $30.00. Couldn't see paying the price of the Red Star set for a SAR

Doubleought
April 01, 2003, 01:45
Originally posted by gary.jeter
The SAR trigger slap can be improved. However, you will still experience trigger "snap."

The Century h/t/s is horrid. It actually has a slap-snap. Two whacks per shot to the trigger finger. Which sucks for a rifle which should be a real fun bullet hose.

I ground on the part of the sear that caused the "slap." I think I eliminated the slap. But, it still has a hearty "snap" when the the sear re-sets.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=503883

Power Custom Inc. sells a new disconnector spring made by Wolff that might just solve that "snap" problem.

Power Custom (http://www.powercustom.com/)

I have not purchased one, so I can't speak to how well they work. I read somewhere that trigger slap can show up over time so I did a "preemptive bobbing" and I don't have the "snap" problem so far. Still, a Wolff spring has to be a major improvement over a Century spring! :wink:

sparky
April 01, 2003, 10:55
I installed the RSA set in my Galil and it stung like heck. RSA had me send it to them and I have not had a chance to try it.

Ken Roberts took good care of me(if its better) plus installed a buffer for free.

My rifle is the top Galil in the photos on their web page.

ratas calientes
April 01, 2003, 14:08
Originally posted by madecov
Replaced my FCG with an FSE`set from TAPCO. no more slap.
I think the set was under $30.00. Couldn't see paying the price of the Red Star set for a SAR

Ditto on the FSE parts. My son and I Dremeled on his SAR-1 a couple of times, but to no avail. I put in a set of FSE parts and it now works great.

And while you are at it, throw away the "shepherds crook" wire thingie and put in one of these: retainer plate (http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?catalog.htm&1) .

skfullgun
April 01, 2003, 21:45
Wow...talk about an old, forgotten thread coming back to life! Did you notice my original post was April 2002?

Anyway, I performed the necessary removal of the excess material and the slap is gone in both rifles. Thanks for the advice.

chico80x
April 18, 2005, 13:45
I had the same problem with my SAR 1 but the slap was so bad it would leave my finger numb for a while. So I bought a G2 trigger set from Tapco and installed it and what a difference. Now it breaks very clean and no slap what so ever.

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/100_0315.3.th.JPG (http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=100_0315.3.JPG)

If you click on the thumbnail above you can see what my SAR looks like now after sending it to Jayson at IGF to be refinished. He refinished is using his Envirotech finish and installed my G2 set for free. Whats even better are the looks on peoples faces at the range when I tell them its an SAR.

vmtz
April 18, 2005, 21:49
Originally posted by ratas calientes


Ditto on the FSE parts. My son and I Dremeled on his SAR-1 a couple of times, but to no avail. I put in a set of FSE parts and it now works great.

And while you are at it, throw away the "shepherds crook" wire thingie and put in one of these: retainer plate (http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?catalog.htm&1) .

The one thing I will disagree with Ratas on. Forget the retainer, just use "C" clips, cheap and work.

Vince

Doubleought
April 19, 2005, 00:55
Originally posted by vmtz


The one thing I will disagree with Ratas on. Forget the retainer, just use "C" clips, cheap and work.

Vince

One of many things I will disagree with Vince on. :wink: C clips are not field expedient. They are small, easily lost and require tools to remove and install. The Redstar retainer plate requires no tools (unless you don't have fingernails)and holds both pins in place. Even a phony janitor can afford one! :biggrin:

vmtz
April 19, 2005, 06:28
Originally posted by Doubleought


One of many things I will disagree with Vince on. :wink: C clips are not field expedient. They are small, easily lost and require tools to remove and install. The Redstar retainer plate requires no tools (unless you don't have fingernails)and holds both pins in place. Even a phony janitor can afford one! :biggrin:

If you are in the field and you need to strip an AK down more then just the bolt carrier group, then you are in serious trouble.

Vince

Doubleought
April 19, 2005, 13:14
Originally posted by vmtz


If you are in the field and you need to strip an AK down more then just the bolt carrier group, then you are in serious trouble.

Vince

Exactly!...Which is why you don't want C clips on your rifle! :rolleyes:

vmtz
April 19, 2005, 19:10
Originally posted by Doubleought


Exactly!...Which is why you don't want C clips on your rifle! :rolleyes:

Never had a failure. But since the most action most of us will see is the movie Kill Bill, it doesn't really matter.

Vince

ratas calientes
April 19, 2005, 19:56
Originally posted by ratas calientes
Ditto on the FSE parts. My son and I Dremeled on his SAR-1 a couple of times, but to no avail. I put in a set of FSE parts and it now works great.

And while you are at it, throw away the "shepherds crook" wire thingie and put in one of these: retainer plate (http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?catalog.htm&1) .
Let me take that back. I figured out how to easily install the "shephards hook" spring. That is what I now prefer.

ps - I learned how to put it in easily by watching Vince. :eek: Figures. :rolleyes:


http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

Doubleought
April 20, 2005, 01:10
Originally posted by vmtz


Never had a failure. But since the most action most of us will see is the movie Kill Bill, it doesn't really matter.

Vince

I sincerely hope that things remain so.

Doubleought
April 20, 2005, 02:48
Originally posted by ratas calientes

Let me take that back. I figured out how to easily install the "shephards hook" spring. That is what I now prefer.

ps - I learned how to put it in easily by watching Vince. :eek: Figures. :rolleyes:


http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

Your loyalty to Vince is duly noted, but nothing is easier to install/remove than the Redstar retainer plate. :shades:

George
April 20, 2005, 05:26
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/links.htm

Buy yourself a Gordon Tech G-2 unit from TAPCO. Single hook.

vmtz
April 20, 2005, 06:55
Originally posted by George
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/links.htm

Buy yourself a Gordon Tech G-2 unit from TAPCO. Single hook.

I have a set of their single and double hook, outstanding quality.

Vince

ratas calientes
April 20, 2005, 20:10
Originally posted by Doubleought
Your loyalty to Vince is duly noted, but nothing is easier to install/remove than the Redstar retainer plate. :shades:
I have to be nice to him - he cleans my toilets. :wink:

Another issue is that my first AK build was on an OOW receiver. On the OOW, the selector hole is lower than normal. I did not know then if the Redstar retainer place would work. Someone here in the Files once said that they have one for the OOWs? I don't know for sure. That was another reason why I learned how to put in the little hook thingie.

BTW, Vince still prefers the C-clips.
http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

Doubleought
April 21, 2005, 00:57
Originally posted by ratas calientes

I have to be nice to him - he cleans my toilets. :wink:

Another issue is that my first AK build was on an OOW receiver. On the OOW, the selector hole is lower than normal. I did not know then if the Redstar retainer place would work. Someone here in the Files once said that they have one for the OOWs? I don't know for sure. That was another reason why I learned how to put in the little hook thingie.

BTW, Vince still prefers the C-clips.
http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

:beer: It makes perfect sense to have all the bases covered. :bow:

Vince wouldn't be Vince if he didn't cling tenaciously to his beloved C clips! :wink: