PDA

View Full Version : Well...the Old Fart finally got a deer worth bragging about. UPDATE! #2... (pix)

FWRA
November 30, 2004, 19:12
After a couple does I finally scored a monster buck. This one field dressed at 195# and was a nontypical 11 points.

Shot it here in Ohio on opening day with the trusty Deerslayer II with Eotech at 87 yards. The Lightfield slug did it's job and I dropped him with one shot through the heart. He was on a dead run...then stopped for a quick glance my way and that was his fatal mistake. I probably could have shot him even running with the Eotech....just like my last two does....but thankfully I didn't have to.

He's now at the processors...the head is being caped for full shoulder mount and I'll drop that at the taxedermists in a week or so.

Ahhh...once in a liftime for me. My last (and first... until now!) 8 point buck was way back in 1982 and I though he was big. When this mount gets done...I'll put the two bucks side by side. 1982 and 2004. :)

FWRA
November 30, 2004, 19:15
photo number 2....

FWRA
November 30, 2004, 19:21
Last one...

I guess my buck deer avatar brought me some luck!

:biggrin:

BJS
November 30, 2004, 19:28
Wow! Nice buck, congrats.

BJS

slakline
November 30, 2004, 20:15
Congratulations !! Nice Buck !! I'm very happy for you !!:beer:

darkknight9
November 30, 2004, 20:39
YUMMY!!!

Great looking steak....err...I mean Buck!!!

:rofl: :rofl:

bigant
November 30, 2004, 21:02
Congrats Mark!

Now my next question is how the HELL did you get it in your truck by yourself?!

Bigant

Dirty Mary
November 30, 2004, 21:12
Nice, very nice. Maybe John Kerry chased that one out for ya.;)
DM

mhpoole
November 30, 2004, 23:50
Great looking buck! Nice shot where did you hit him?

LAFAL
December 01, 2004, 06:57
WOW! Nice going! That's gonna look great over the mantle or the guy's room wall. And good shooting, too.

FWRA
December 01, 2004, 09:31
Well...to be honest. My good friend Patrick...6 foot 4 and a moose...dragged it for me and I just helped. No way could I do that by myself at my age and condition. We grunted and groaned and finally got him in the truck.

Just walking that hilly country all day almost got me. :)

FWRA
December 01, 2004, 09:41
I got a nice doe last year and that one almost got me dragging it out in Southern Ohio up and down hills. It was a big doe.

Here's 2003 doe. Covered in mud because I dragged her through the mud. Me...the deer...my shotgun AND my Eottech were covered in mud. The Eotech worked perfectly...even covered in mud. This was shot on a dead run.

FWRA
December 01, 2004, 09:45
Now a picture of my dream doe of 2002. This one was the size of a German Shephard and I dragged her out with a smile on my face walking fast. :biggrin:

Sure was good eating though...like fine veal. :)

Treborer
December 01, 2004, 18:09
Nice work!

I was gonna microwave a chicken pot pie but after this now I gotta thaw some meat.

Cheers!

:beer:

masman
December 01, 2004, 21:29
Originally posted by FWRA

fine looking buck mark:bow: :beer:

Ricketts
December 01, 2004, 21:32
Musta been the Duracoat--

Nice buck!!

kyheadhunter
December 01, 2004, 22:08
Congratulations...when's the party?

Muggzy
December 02, 2004, 07:06
real nice buck. Most guys don't get a shot at one like that.

Congrats!

Was he with a doe?

Tree Stand hunting?

Let's have some of the detail there, man

Jon Frum
December 02, 2004, 18:14
Good work! I have yet to see one here in GA. Hunting National Forest probably has something to do with it. Still lots of leaves in the trees too.

FWRA
December 02, 2004, 18:40
Well...here's an update to a banner year for me deer hunting.

I went out yesterday afternoon to some private land I have been bow hunting on in Medina County and at 4:55 PM a big doe walked out of the twilight about 40 yards from me. I put the Eotech "circle-dot" on the boiler room and squeezed the trigger.....and watched her run off seemingly unhurt in a dead run back down the deer trail out of my sight. I poured another cup of coffee and sat there sipping on it and thought...well, maybe I should take a look to see if there was any blood. When I arrived at the spot I found no blood but followed the trail through the woods and after 30 yds spotted SERIOUS blood splatter...nice and pink indicating a lung shot. I followed that blood for another 30 yds and it disappeared. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the deer laying by a pond of to my right and I ran over to look. She was deader than a doornail so I field dressed her and started dragging. It ws getting pretty dark by then and after 100 yd drag I was exausted. Hunting steep hills all week took a toll on the old fart so I called my brother to have him help me drag her out. The doe was a good 1/2 mile from the house where I parked and I just couldn't do it.

Brian came out about 10pm with his 4 wheel drive truck (brand new) and we drove it through the fiels to within 200yds of wher I left her. Only took both of us 10 min to get it to the truck and we were off.

What a year! A monster buck on opening day...and now this big doe. The weird thing I discovered when I dropped it off for processing today? She had small nubbins of antlers and the guy told me he's only seen that twice in 10 years. He told me it happens from inbreeding and the area should be hunted more to thin that herd. Seems I was the only one who hunted there this year and no one else hunts.

This has been the best year I ever had for bagging deer! I donated the meat from this doe to the homeless shelter in Akron Ohio and the processing fee was only $20 to do so. And I get to keep the backstraps and some other prime cuts!
He's grinding up all the rest in hamburger to donate to the shelter.

Here she/he is: (what a wacky year for deer!)

georgestrings
December 02, 2004, 20:19
Congrats, Mark - that's a heckuva year by anyone's standard... Well done, and good show on the donation, too - been thinking about that sort of thing myself...

- georgestrings

cliffy109
December 03, 2004, 10:27
Wow! Very nice buck. I'm still heart sick over the one I hit that I never recovered so its good to see others with good luck.

Right Side Up @ 1000 MPH
December 03, 2004, 10:43
Wow, 195 pounds field dressed. That IS a big deer. Lots of good steaks will come off that boy.

Congratulations Mark! :bow:

FWRA
December 03, 2004, 13:02
Just for the record...I shot the buck as I was sitting up against the base of a tree at the top of a ridge with my gallon Thermos of coffee at my side when I heard something crashing through the brush. I shouldered my Ithaca and then he appeared out in the open. He was running full tilt but made the mistake of stopping to catch his breath. Probably figured he was safe now. He was 90 yards from me and there were trees blocking the shot so I waited for the perfect moment and the rest is history. One shot and he stumbled and fell...got back up...stumbled again and I hustled down to him and finished him off. He was shot through the heart so he wasn't going anywhere but the adrenilin kept him trying to get back up to run off. He was the only deer I saw all day and shot him at 2:30 PM. Someone kicked him up for sure and I was thankful I was the one who got the shot of a lifetime.

I'll tell you gang...a rifled shotgun and Eotech sight is a deadly combination for deer. My Ithaca has a fixed rifled barrel and is a tack driver out to 150 yards and Lightfield sabots are the deadly combination for me for accuracy. If I can get a clear shot at a deer...I'll nail him/her with that combo. I witnessed a bunch of hunters shooting multiple times at deer and never hitting a one. Most have open sights and a few have scoped shotguns. A scope is fine in a low power but on a running deer it's a tough shot. The field of view is not there for running deer. The Eotech with both eyes open is the perfect setup. These holo sights are paralax free and no matter where the circle/dot is....that's where the slug goes. My Ithaca Deerslayer Storm was originally Parkerized finish but Ricketts re-finished it in DuraCoat black and now it's the stunning.

A couple hunters I ran into asked me about my sight system and asked to look through it. They were amazed at just how quick it was to bring up for a sight picture. Some guys close one eye when sighting and when I tell them to open both eyes.....they get the picture quickly. The normal response is "Wow!" How much?" When I tell them around $300 they backoff quick. "You spent that much? My Tasco 1.75-4 power scope was only $99.! Well...yeah...and I heard you shooting 3 times awhile ago. Tough to hit a running deer with that outfit. :)
I've hade every scope/red dot combo out there...but this Eotech is the best of the best. For you deer hunters out there in thick woods would be wise to look into one. Not cheap......but a deer buster sight system!

Best purchase I ever made on the Eotech and I got it from Bigant on a Group Buy awhile back and the price was amazingly reasonable. Under $300 and well worth it to me. Mine is the cheapest model without the hooded thingie over the glass and without the fancy UV military features.

xcpd69
December 03, 2004, 15:52
The truly amazing part he's not telling you, is how he got it through three fences and off of the Petting Zoo grounds.

:rofl:

darkknight9
December 03, 2004, 16:40
Originally posted by xcpd69
The truly amazing part he's not telling you, is how he got it through three fences and off of the Petting Zoo grounds.

:rofl:

LOL

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

splattermatic
January 08, 2005, 18:57
hey mark,
you got a truely magnificent buck.
be proud of him, and display the mount with pride.
good shootin your doing there, the combo you have set up sure works for you.

wished i'da gone home to pa this year, missed out on some nice bucks taken at camp.

oh well, there is next year, i'll be sitting with stevie again in his stand as the lease is real small now.