PDA

View Full Version : What did you see from your stand?

motosapien
November 26, 2004, 08:00
I had a great horned owl land about three feet above my head. Made no noise as it flew up and also when it took off. Big bugger it was. Also saw a pine martin across the river doing acrobatics in a cherry tree.

Did not see a deer this year..........

gotm4
November 28, 2004, 23:35
Saw and harvested a really nice 8 pointer on Friday. Shot him with my .50 Beowulf at 45yds in his right shoulder. The entrance wound is huge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/meandhanging8pointer-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/meand8pointerintruck-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/meand8pointer50-1.jpg

motosapien
November 29, 2004, 05:13
Nice buck there, nice country too. Your AR is a giant killer in that chambering...........

darkknight9
November 29, 2004, 09:07
A coyote, a bunch of chickadees, four red tail hawks, a few bucks (when I couldn't shoot them), red squirrels, grey squirrels, four different birdsongs that I wasn't familiar with (in a new hunting area), ducks, geese, woodchucks, beaver, bluejays, robins, and the usual two dozen wild turkeys. :)

I love hearing the geese's wings flapping when they fly low overhead.

jcbrown
November 29, 2004, 09:47
A giant doe at 7 am day one. Let her go for the big buck, that never came...

A beautiful red fox.

A coyote.

At least 8 million friggin' squirels who all ran up my tree and barked at me. I was tempted to pop quit a few of them fargin' bastages.

A large covey of quail. Each day, they came under my stand at 7:30 am and returned at 3:30 pm.

A bat landed on the end of my Izzy Fal on day two. Amazing.

Lot's of geese passed overhead.

Several hawks.

The owls would hoot at 6:30 am and 5:00 pm like clock work.

I didn't get a deer for the first time, but had wonderful three days sitting in a tree, watching the wildlife and listening to the rain in the leaves. Thank you God.

DC
November 29, 2004, 11:20
One squirrel.

One quail.

One hawk.

More crows than I could count.

One 5 year old boy on his first hunt (who was incredibly good, especially when
studying his Thomas the Tank Engine catalog).

One big doe who dropped like a rock at 65 yards with one shot from my L1A1.
Unfortunately, she turned out to be a spike when I got up to him. Felt
terrible but after dragging his 125 pounds about 700 yards to where my cousin could
help me drag him another 700, I didn't feel so bad anymore.

One big doe followed by two little beagles. Fortunately for her, she wasn't a
buck and I was just pulling my pants back up from a call of nature. They
came within 25 feet of me and at least that close to the dead one I was dragging out.

Meat in the freezer. First time I have been deer hunting in 20 years. I'll be back and I'll wait on that big buck next time.

Muggzy
November 29, 2004, 13:02
Squirels!
coyotes
Red Tail Hawk
Squirrels
skunk
raccoons
squirrels
Did I mention....Squirrels?

Sitting there gives ya lots of time to reflect and just enjoy the surroundings.

I've come up with many good ideas while sitting there....trouble is...by the time I get back to camp...I forgot what the hell it was. I attribute this directly to the
amount of alcohol that was consumed the night before....not old age

cliffy109
November 29, 2004, 14:06
Over the last several years, I've seen just about every kind of fauna in the Virginia Piedmont. Aside from the obvious things like squirrels, turkey and deer, here is a list of the more interesting stuff.

1. Owl landed on a branch right over my head. I could have grabbed his feet.

2. Several crows beat the crap out of an owl as it tried to escape.

3. I walked upon a beaver in a stream while wading an icy stream for goose. The thing sat on a branch less than 5 feet from me until I got bored and jumped at it. Scared the bugger out of his mind.

4. Watched 2 young fox frolick and play like you see them on Disney.

5. Had a bobcat streak by me during a drive.

6. Had a racoon get so curious that I had to push him away with the muzzle of my rifle.

7. covey of quail walked under my stand once.

8. Nearly stepped on a coiled copperhead while scouting. Shot it and discovered copperheads give birth to live young. It looked like a scene from aliens with about a dozen slime covered baby copperheads oozing from the gaping hole in momma's gut.

9. There was the deer that I shot this year that was walking around with an arrow sticking out of the back of its neck. The broadhead was sticking out just under his chin. That was a mercy kill.

I love hunting season. I really do. I love being part of nature, rather than just wathing it on TV.

Muggzy
November 29, 2004, 15:10
Cliff,

Those owls will play hell with the crows at night. Guess whoo has the better vision during the twilight hours. The crows will catch them during the day and
pester and follow them. If I recall...the owls rob the nest during the night

I think we have owls and crows as members:D

Some of the folks here ...like to pester each other:rofl:

I'm with you though....I'd rather be out there than watching it on TV

Muggzy
November 29, 2004, 15:17
Doggonit. Something I did see that was strange

A black squirrel. Solid black

And in a town south of here they have white squirrels.

I noticed the black squirrel was smaller than the reds and the grays.

Both the red and gray squirrels ran this black one all over the woods.
He was there last year too....so they didn't run 'em off.

gotm4
November 29, 2004, 16:31
I've seen solid black squirrels in Reston and Herndon VA. I saw two albino squirrels on a dirt road in Haymarket VA a few years ago when I was delivering out there.

FAL guy
November 29, 2004, 17:10
I saw a bunch of cotton tails, a few Jacks, lots of chicken hawks, a few red tails, a frickin' porkypine(sic):D , lot's a quail, a couple a 'yotes....

...and, I even saw a few deer. Actually I saw quite a few does, and several small basket 6's and some nice little 8's. But, nothing I really wanted to spend time gutting. Oh well, there is always next year.

I might not have shot anything, but I wouldn't trade my tree stand time for all the tea in China.:cool:

owlcreekok
December 01, 2004, 10:24
I think we have owls and crows as members

Do not leave your nest(s) unattended.:shades:

A few years back, I sat in the stand while a raccoon and a doe exchanged threatening postures with each other. We fed the stands with corn ( a LOT of it) prior to season's opening. Made for fat venison. 'Coon and doe were not happy with each other's intrusion in the dining hall. 'Coon won because he cared less when I could not contain and chuckled a bit too loudly. Another time on the same stand, I was experiencing 95 psi blood pressure while a monster buck passed in and out of clear shot prism. A mosquito large enough to have a tail number pitched on my leg. He began feeding. He swelled, and swelled and swelled. YES DAMMITT I felt it! He finished his meal, (I am still trying to watch Mr. Buck and not go into cardiac arrest) attempted to take off and climb out of the stand's controlled airspace. He failed. Too big a payload. The bastid crashed into the burlap blind and tumbled to the deck. Mr. Buck ambled out of sight, so I murdered the vampire wif me hoof!

Muggzy
December 01, 2004, 13:00
owlcreekok,

:D

you have a great since of humor..

The mosquito saga made me smile.....been there

Clyde the Pointer
December 01, 2004, 13:15
My first time shotgun huntin' in Ohier. Monday am a big bodied buck ambles up and stops 80 yds away with his head stuck behind a tree. Great body shot, but can't see the rack. Doe with him busted me but couldn't really see me. I kept putting the 695 to my shoulder, sighting, changing my mind and putting it down. Finally he steps out, at 45 mph and I see a nice basket. Ugggggg. Relived that episode 3000 times between the rest of Monday and Tuesday am. My buddy decided to work the creek up to my stand around 10 am Tues. A spike comes cantering by, I watch him through the scope, determined not to repeat yesterday's mistake, and popped him as he ran between two trees. He jumps off. No blood trail, and I thought I'd missed. Post lunch we found him about 150 yds away, looked like someone hit him with an axe on his back. Winchester sabots, supreme something, 385 gr @ 1900 fps. Destroyed his liver and broke his off side femur. Had one little 12" 3 point and the other antler was broken off. Ooooops. There goes my buck tag. The left ham was spanked pretty hard by the broken bone. I am amazed at the damage that sabot caused. Too bad I missed the chest, but can't believe it didn't break his spine and drop him. My first OH buck, the land famous for antlers like FWRA tagged. Two does to go, and there's always next year. Paper stated there are 87 car/deer collisions a day in OH. Happy Hunting.

dougjones31
December 01, 2004, 15:11
Originally posted by gotm4
Saw and harvested a really nice 8 pointer on Friday. Shot him with my .50 Beowulf at 45yds in his right shoulder. The entrance wound is huge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/meandhanging8pointer-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/meand8pointerintruck-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/meand8pointer50-1.jpg

Boy that is some weird Acne......

cliffy109
December 03, 2004, 10:39
Gotm4 and I were in the woods on Wednesday. The wind was a steady 25 with higher gusts. We decided to do a small "push" through a wood patch. I had Gotm4 stand at one end of the woods and I entered from the other. Almost immediately, I spotted a deer in a briar patch. I glassed him and observed him for about 15 minutes until he finally wandered off. In that time, I never got a real good look at him until the last sighting when I saw he was a spike.

Well, with that excitement over, I started a quite, zig-zag pattern through the woods. About half way in, I saw the same spike, this time, just browsing along about 20 yards to my right. I froze and he didn't see me. Due to the howling wind, he neither heard, nor smelled me. He continued on a path in front of me and in the general direction of Gotm4.

I called ahead on the 2 way and hold him what was coming. I continued to follow the spike once he got about 100 yards in front of me. Even though the leaves were bone dry, he couldn't hear me as I stalked behind him. At several points, I held my scope on his brisket and whispered "bang." I already have two in the freezer and didn't want to use another tag on a little guy like this.

Finally, we neared the end of the woods. I had directed gotm4 to a good location, but I wasn't sure if he was exactly where I described the "perfect" spot. I called ahead, "He's in the creek bed to your left." "Now, he's entering the pine thicket that is just ahead of you and slightly to your left. " "Okay... he should be exiting the thicket and should be directly in front of you or slightly to your right."

About 20 seconds after that last transmission, I head the crack of a .30-06. The thing had emerged exactly where I thought and Gotm4 was in the exact right spot. The deer was only about 30 yards in front of him and was totally unspooked at the time.

Its was a neat experience to be able to follow him so closely, yet so unaware.

masman
December 03, 2004, 18:43
saw the usual array of birds and squirrels and two of the biggest bull moose i've ever seen.:eek:

K. Funk
December 03, 2004, 21:38
Kinda dissapointed, I usually see 25-35 deer on opening day. I saw one lousy buck, nice body, but no rack to speak of. Had to pass. The land I hunt on is on a QDM program where we need a 15" minimum spread to take a buck. Same story with most everyone I talked to. Not a lot of deer to speak of.

Oh well. A bad day hunting is better than any good day at work.

krf

torque65
December 03, 2004, 22:29
Saw a lot of squirrels and a HUGE bluejay.
Bunch of grouse and hundreds of geese overhead.
Spent more time in the stand this year than ever before, since it was soooo warm compared to other years. Was worth it, even if I hadn't gotten any venison.
(I got a nice doe and a decent spike)
We have six people that hunt our place, and it was the first year that we've EVER had six deer on the meat pole opening day!

One of the guys had an "altercation" with an owl about 5:20 closing day. It got into the stand and tore him up pretty badly on his face and one hand. I guess that they'll do that, but I've never heard of it before. It's too bad, as just that morning he'd shot the biggest deer of his life from the same stand.
He's fine now, but he was close to losing an eye for a while.

Ak_guy
December 04, 2004, 10:03
Originally posted by gotm4

Been wanting a 50 Beowulf one day, who makes a ecenomical upper?

masman
December 04, 2004, 18:08
Originally posted by K. Funk
Kinda dissapointed, I usually see 25-35 deer on opening day. I saw one lousy buck, nice body, but no rack to speak of. Had to pass. The land I hunt on is on a QDM program where we need a 15" minimum spread to take a buck. Same story with most everyone I talked to. Not a lot of deer to speak of.

krf

what state do you live in k-funk? vermont is considering going to some sort of qdm program.whats your opinion of it?

CRShooter32
December 05, 2004, 17:07
Originally posted by K. Funk

krf

I know what you mean, I only saw 2 deer all morning on Monday, one was just a streak of gray in the brush as I was entering the woods, and the other was a little doe that came within 15 feet of me, and all but ignored me. Ever since the regs were revamped, and doe is now open with buck, the herds are really decreasing. Too many does and button bucks are being taken, alot of guys are knocking off the first deer they see on the first morning, and it's starting to show.

cthulhu138
December 05, 2004, 21:06
I appreciate you guys all leaving the yearling does alone. More for me and my freezer :) Those little yearlings are easier to drag, and taste great. I usually try to get a few of my trademark "pocket deer" every year, and my big buck hunting buddies rib me, but aren't late for dinner when invited.

Season limit is 12 here in Georgia. 2 can be antlered bucks, one has to be a big buck. That leaves room for 10 little does easy. And I've worked too much to get any of them. I'll give it hell a little later in the year, I have a few weeks off, and will spend three or four days hunting. I'm jealous that you guys are already well into them.

CRShooter32
December 11, 2004, 06:05
Originally posted by cthulhu138
I appreciate you guys all leaving the yearling does alone. More for me and my freezer :) Those little yearlings are easier to drag, and taste great. I usually try to get a few of my trademark "pocket deer" every year, and my big buck hunting buddies rib me, but aren't late for dinner when invited.

Season limit is 12 here in Georgia. 2 can be antlered bucks, one has to be a big buck. That leaves room for 10 little does easy. And I've worked too much to get any of them. I'll give it hell a little later in the year, I have a few weeks off, and will spend three or four days hunting. I'm jealous that you guys are already well into them.

Yeah, you get to take 12 deer down there, but, it takes 12 of those little dog sized deer to half fill a freezer. :p

I hunted down your way back in the 90's, almost got run over by two of them, I swear, they both looked about the size of German shepards. The largest deer I saw that entire week was the size of a Great Dane.

BTW, yeah, those yearlings are excellent eating.

cthulhu138
December 12, 2004, 09:54
See, you have to aim better down here. And the convenience of never having to kill a deer you can't get into the back of a truck by yourself is amazing :)

gotm4
December 12, 2004, 21:39
Originally posted by Ak_guy

Been wanting a 50 Beowulf one day, who makes a ecenomical upper?

As far as I know only Alexander Arms is selling the uppers.

Jon Frum
December 26, 2004, 20:55
Quota hunt last month-GA Power land at RUM Creek WMA. Ted likes a good cooling tower, I bet.