PDA

View Full Version : BUCK vs. RAM.......Dodge that is

ultramagbrion
November 26, 2004, 00:04
Was on my way to pickup my fiance from work when a button buck decided he had to cross the road in front of me ,RIGHT THEN and NOW !
I wasnt going that fast(40-ish) but an on-coming car had slowed and was flashing his lights (to warn me :( ) and the lights kinda blinded me and I didn't get on the brakes soon enough........! THUMP !........ :bigangel:

It didnt seem like much more than a soft thump.......like I hit an empty rubber trash can,but it was enough to snuff the little deer.

It only knocked the front licence plate holder off and tweeked my bumper crooked(4 bolts and it'll move back into place easy) on my Dodge.With only basic liability insurance I was fortunate it wasnt through my grill or something expensive like that.

Poor deer wasnt so lucky.....didnt have any visual injuries other than the steady stream of blood running from its mouth.By the time I had pulled off the road and ran back ,it had stopped kicking and gone on to the big corn field in the sky.

The officer who stopped gave me a 'roadkill tag' and I threw him in my truck
(the deer ....... not the deputy:tongue: ) and I guess Ill slice off some backstrap and see what else is salvageable.

Not quite what I had envisioned as my second deer for this year.

QUESTIONS:

As long as the intestines and stomach arent damaged.........what should I look for when I gut it?

The backstrap should be OK........shouldnt it??( I hope)

Will bruising 'taint' the meat??

Should I just toss the carcass?? I hate too waste meat if I can help it.

Ive never been in a situation like this so any advice from you'road-kill butchers'
out there is apreciated.............thanks,Brion.

biggun
November 26, 2004, 00:10
If you see any blood in the meat like what you find on a shoulder shot don't eat it. I believe it will be safe but won't taste good. If the guts are busted open and you clean it quick it will probably be ok. But, the temp has a lot to do with it all.

idsubgun
November 26, 2004, 08:46
Seeing how you just killed it and it wasn't sitting for any period of time, and if the meat looks okay, then it should be okay to eat. Any bruised or bloodied meat should be avoided as was mentioned above.

ultramagbrion
November 26, 2004, 17:54
Damn! I cut into it this morning and it looked like he swalowed a claymore!!

Broke up meat everywhere under the hide and lots of blood.I barely bumped the dang critter too! I thought it woul just run off into the woods but I guess I did more damage than I thought.
I cut the backstrap out and tossed the rest except for a little I carved out for the dogs.

The 'strap tasted just fine ..........and the dogs LOVED the little bit I pan fried for them:D