PDA

View Full Version : Shed with plywood floor: protectant?

Stranger
April 26, 2002, 15:49
I am buying one of those portable metal buildings to hold the huge amounts of garden/lawn equipment we are collecting. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should coat the floor with to protect it? It has a 3/4 inch (10x14 feet) plywood floor with no coating. There will be gasoline, fertilizers, oil, grass clippings, etc. in contact with the floor at various times. Can I use one of those bed liner sprays on wood? Oh, and I would like it to be something that doesn't need a long time to cure (less than three days). Can you parkerize wood (hehe)? Varnish is out because water, gasoline, and oil bring it up (not to mention the smell on hot summer days). Any ideas?

SF
April 26, 2002, 16:08
Oh,Man :eek: I just finished the exact shed,an Arrow brand,10 x 14, with a barn roof style.It is of the utmost importance that the S.O.B. is REALLY level and REALLY square,or you will go freaking NUTS trying to line up the bolts and screwsI thought I had it good enough,but Nooooo :rolleyes: ,I had to release the bottom rows and let the top govern where it would take a set at,and then WESCOG the lower screws to accomidate the diferance.Thank God for caulking tubes ;) ,you would never know.Did I mention R E A L L Y square and level?Getting to your Question,6mm plastic on the bottom and the truck bed spray sounds like the hot ticket :D Have fun,never again for me ,its going to be WOOD!God luck,Steve

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: SF ]

Templator
April 26, 2002, 16:11
There's no substitute for creosote.

Deltaten
April 26, 2002, 16:20
Stranger:

If you just want to "preserve" it, from bugs and stuff, spray it w/crosote type stuff on the bottom and deck preserver/silicone on the wear surface. Yeah, I know creosote's not around anymore, but there are some wood preservers that are a decent replica!

If you want a good floor covering, find a rubber roofing contractor in your area, and ask for some remnants. Lay 'em out in "wear" areas, to keep spills, grass, etc. from getting to the wood. The alternative would be a cheap sheet of flooring vinyl.

Best,
Paul

Mosin Guy
April 26, 2002, 16:32
I have found that good old Deck and Porch enamal works very well in this application in battleship grey.HTH

alvin
April 26, 2002, 17:55
be carful with creosote, i have been badly burned with it doing construction work

sam i am
April 26, 2002, 18:07
One thing to remember when dealing w/exterior wood. The more air is allowed to circulate, the longer it will last. Look at all the old barns that are still standing. They didn't have any of the fancy chemicals we have today.

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: sam i am ]

'TUDE
April 26, 2002, 18:08
I'm with Mosin Guy. Paint it battleship grey. I have my guys paint the entire shop floor and outbuildings floors every year (all 22 gallons worth). It looks good and easy to maintain. Also , wash off everything before storing it (spray the mower decks, shovels, etc.).

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: Faltitude ]

Stranger
April 27, 2002, 10:09
WOW! Lots of great ideas. I like the creosote idea, but it can be a pain. Maybe I will go with wood protectant on the bottom. The rubber roofing in the wear area is great. Now that I think of it, we have some old vinyl flooring and some of those self adhesive floor tiles! Although battleship grey sealer would have a nice look to it and might be easier to apply (and reapply).

Thanks all!

lost
April 27, 2002, 10:43
Use the little cosmoline m-14 tubs.
( it works great when I store gun parts)
Actually I kinda liked the bed liner Idea.
If you do it let us know how it works out!