PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fill their JACKALOPE tags yet?

ultramagbrion
November 19, 2004, 08:04
Dang Im having a hard time finding these little buggers.Ive seen alot of mounts on peoples walls and in bars and stuff...........but Ill be darned if Ive yet to see one in the wild..........WHAT GIVES?

Any help in tracking , calling , baiting these elusive little devils?

Whats the best load for these things? Im using a .219 Zipper loaded with a 375g tracer round and 12 grains of Hodgdons H-1000 and two CCI large pistol
primers (double-stacked)...........am I in the ballpark? Id hate to mess up my first shot when I finally flush one of these out .

HELP!!!:cry:

owlcreekok
November 19, 2004, 09:12
The only bait you are going to have success with is owl scat. (Ask me how I know,,,I DARE ya)

On your load. Nope all wrong. Use a large rifle, magnum primer, not quite seated all the way. I assume since you are a man among men, and are wiley enough to attempt the pursuit of this mammal that has an average IQ of 206, you have already bored the priimer flash hole with a .125" twist drill! Now for the charge, 2 grains FFFFg black powder. The overbored flash hole and the partially seated primer will yield proper detonation,,,er,, I mean IGNITION for the main charge of 11.5 grains of Unique. Yes, this is a compressed charge. Why? You ask.

When this elusive beast sees the result of your shot, he will be easily retrieved by your hunting buddy as the Jackalope will have died from fecal hemorrage while laughing at the splintered rifle.

Did I mention to always wear proper protective eyewear? This is a very expensive type of hunt. One shot, one rifle per animal. Ya gotta pay yer money if ya wanna takes yer chances!

ultramagbrion
November 19, 2004, 10:56
Thanks for the tip Owl:smile:

I was out this morning in the drizzle and spotted a Jackalope doe.......theyre pretty easy to find round here,but I was undergunned having only my Beo 50 with me at the time.I had to pass on her:D

...........OK.............what gives with the owl scat??:eek:

owlcreekok
November 19, 2004, 11:29
Rare creatures are only attracted by rare substances. You ever seen owl poop? I didn't think so. I should know, I ARE one. (see avatar) I tried to post an image, but, lucky for all, I can't figure out how to do it from a file on my C:\.

Owls most usually eject what they have eaten from the same end it came in from. There are about three pairs of Spotted Owls that live right around my house. Once in a GREAT while you can catch one "doing the dirty". The product is pretty hard to find, even when you see it hit the forest floor.

Kind of like the Jackalope doe. Now ya see her, Now ya don't.

BTW, a mouse gun in .50 is STILL a mouse gun!:wink:

Ask me about 9mm's on another forum. I can get a REAL flamer started! :tongue:

Cheers. I best get to work!

fastfreddy
November 19, 2004, 11:43
My son found some owl poop. Brought it home and fished the bones out of it and tried to figure out what it had eaten. Gross hobby but interesting.

That's a fine looking buck in that picture. I sure would like to bag one like that. The only guy around here who hunts for 'em gave up on the exploding rifle tactics and switched to a crossbow with an M-80 taped to the bolt. He's got one eye, one ear, and one hand...... name's Lucky.

owlcreekok
November 19, 2004, 12:04
That sounds like an owl "pellet". We had a "pet" owl on the ranch one time. Found it and two siblings in a nest that had been toppled from a tree fallen into a creek from bank erosion. That owl would follow me all over the yard. It would swallow anything it could, WHOLE. Small birds that got too close while it sat on a branch, mice, june bugs. We would watch it bring this stuff up and plop it on the ground. The really WILD part was that the small birds and mammals would look almost like they did when they went down the gullett. Hair, feathers, bone, all intact. Just all the flesh and tissue would be gone. Wierd. Mind, I have NO formal education on the subject of owls. Just what I learned having that "pet" and watching them in the wild. When they get accustomed to you, and you make NO fast movments around them, they will conduct business as if you were not there. They exhibit an amazing ability to interpret human and other animal's actions, and act accordingly. One individual here will sit at night within 15 feet of my wife and I while we sip wine and listen to the night sounds. If one of the kids comes out, it will sit tight, until it decides the kid is not going back inside. Owl will fly off into the trees. If kids retreat soon enough, owl will come back and watch over wife and I. I could keep rambling and tell ya'll about the conversations I have with the owl parlaiments, but you would then call me full of owl scat. Better to be silent and thought a fool,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:]

legion489
November 19, 2004, 13:04
Never in my life have I heard such disinformation! OK, possibly from Handgun Control and the Demonrat Party, but even then....

The reason you see so many mounts in homes and bars is they are FAKE! That's right, something someone made something up that aint real for money! OK, again pretty much like Handgun Control and the Demonrat Party (did you see where Kerry kept $15 million in donations he had and is pocketing it?! Talk about a scam!!) or half the "antique" guns you see at gunshows.

Real jackalopes are very rare, like honest politicos only jackalopes are slightly more common and a WHOLE lot easier to find. They also do not have deer antlers like the photo shows! FAKE! I doubt real jackapoles are harvested much more than one or two every ten years.

owlcreekok
November 19, 2004, 13:28
Now see here, young man! This is not a political forum and we are NOT talking about Jackapoles. It's Jackalopes man, Jackalopes! Jackapoles are the relatively common Jackass with a parasitic skunk attached to their anus.

Straighten your act , legion489! Sheeeeesh!

Gary J. you are cordially invited to furnish graphics!:D

N8Gunnr
November 19, 2004, 15:24
Originally posted by owlcreekok
Jackapoles are the relatively common Jackass with a parasitic skunk attached to their anus.

Now now....some of our famous board demacrats may resent that remark !!

ultramagbrion
November 19, 2004, 16:06
Originally posted by N8Gunnr

Now now....some of our famous board demacrats may resent that remark !!

more likely to RESEMBLE that remark as well :p

And like the sleezy demos,I belive Ive read where the jackalopes are very pro-gay,probably explaining the drop in population and sightings.

hagar
November 19, 2004, 20:06
There are no jackalopes, but there are antelope jackrabbits. I saw one in AZ that was more than 3 feet high. First thing that sprang to my mind was "It's the Mad Hatter!", and that disbelief cost me a shot at it. Never saw another one that big. It was the same day I also saw a record Elk bull in a place where no Elk are supposed to be, so a strange day all in all.

ftierson
November 19, 2004, 20:47
Yep, I already got five of the critters...

They were all over 500lbs each, and stood 10 feet tall...

Whoops, this isn't the fishing forum, is it...

gotm4
December 02, 2004, 08:34
I've heard that Snipe poop is a good cover scent. :wink:

slakline
December 02, 2004, 10:07
I called the Nebraska Game and Parks Commision requesting a Jackalope Permit. They said they don't have a season established for Jackalope yet, but if I wanted to be the first in Nebraska to actually pay for a tag it would cost me $20,000. They also told me included in the permit, would be a bonafide Jackalope guide to help me find this rare and highly sought after trophy. The guide, a once well known politician in Nebraska, was once gored by a Jackalope while deer hunting. He has dedicated the remainder of his life in search of the "J-Lope" that stuck him in the a$$. They said the permit would never expire until I got one verified by the NGPC. Sounds like a heck of deal to me.......now to find an commerical sponsor ....Cabela's ??

owlcreekok
December 02, 2004, 10:22
Okay, I filled my J-Lope tags during the Thanksgiving holiday. Saved owl scat for four days to ensure successful quantities of game in the area. The carcasses dressed out for a total of 117 lbs of prime meat. No trophies, but some nice racks that will make great back scratchers. Here's the deal guys:

I have Jackalope Jerky in convenient 4 oz. Cry-o-Vac packages, $239.00 each

Full rack back scratchers with US made PG, $747.00 each

Half rack back scratchers with Imported PG, $447.00 each

All prices include shipping to your FFL. Any interested parties wishing to trade for FAL parts, accessories, ammo, complete rifles should post here with what you have in mind to trade. As a guide, please weigh your barter items. For the jerky, about 3 lbs of parts / accessories to each ounce of jerky will be considered a reasonable trade. For the scratchers, only full rifles will be considered. Full rack scratcher trades should be at least one complete, full auto FAL. Half rack units will be considered equal to any semi-auto rifle as long as it includes a couple hundred pounds of Port. ammo. (Battle Packs only please.)

ThunderGod
December 02, 2004, 12:38
I don't rightly know what you done seen, maybe some mutant thing, but 'twernt no Jackalope Doe. Ain't no J-Lopes East 'o the Missus-hip or North 'o the Mason-Dixon.

Flanigan
December 21, 2004, 13:45
Dunno if the Brits are selling fakes, or if they have JackaHarts (pun intended!).

Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=5543106986&rd=1)

Any fool knows you don't go after 'Lopes with anything less than a 4-Bore! Even the "Crocodile Hunter" refuses to mess with them - they are that ornery!

It would appear that some attempt has been made to domesticate/breed jackalopes as evidenced here:

ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1336&item=7121597603&rd=1)

Whether this has met with disaster (likely), I'm not sure....

HawaiiFALer
January 06, 2005, 20:57
I see where this thread has gone wrong! Forget about the guns and loads! Any favorite gun will do. Hunting these honored critters are the hunting world's best kept secret. It's all in the manner of the hunt. And I'm not about to tell. Anyone who tells is just a lucky park walker who happened upon one of these magnificent beasts. And those guys who say they are 10 feet tall ... well, they are just plain liars. The avid jackalope hunters (well, anyway, the experienced, respectful ones) are not about to break the creed. :bigangel: :bigangel: :bigangel:

ftierson
January 06, 2005, 21:06
Honestly, they were at least ten feet tall. Maybe twelve...